A 6-hour feed? (long, sorry)

Old October 2nd 03, 09:25 PM
Cheryl S.

Default A 6-hour feed? (long, sorry)

I know it's normal for babies to feed continuously for a couple hours in
the evening. DD did that, usually from about 7:00 to 10:00 every
evening. I wouldn't have a problem with that. DS had been doing that,
but over the past few days it's been getting longer and longer -
starting earlier and ending later. Yesterday was just unbelievable.
He's four weeks and one day old. Now, starting in the early afternoon,
he eats more and more frequently, (at least every hour) leading up to
the evening feeding frenzy where he only lets go so he can yell until I
put him to the other side. Last night he was eating from 6:00 pm to
midnight, non-stop, no exaggeration. He really was *eating*, too - I
was still feeling let downs fairly regularly right up to 12:00 and he
was gulping it down. I got so hungry for dinner, I had to leave him
scream for 10 minutes to microwave some soup, gulp half of it down, then
repeat that sequence after next time he dropped off one side (DH had a
business dinner). I am having a hard time dealing with having to nurse
him so much, mostly because I am so exhausted by 9:00. The only time I
could nap (during DD's nap) he's already starting in on the frequent
feedings and there isn't time between the end of one feed and start of
the next to do much more than pee and refill my water bottle (I'm
drinking at least 96 oz of water -- that's just during the evening). I
thought after a growth spurt, the feedings are supposed to get further
apart? Why are they getting more frequent at this point? Is something
wrong here? He was 1 1/4 pounds heavier than DD at birth. I've always
had complete confidence in bf but yesterday I really started to wonder.
Is it because of his size, does he need too much milk, too soon, for my
body to keep up? (Birthweight was 8 lbs 1 oz, which I know isn't
earth-shattering, but I was stunned that a baby over 8 pounds could
possibly come from me.) I swear he is visibly fatter today than
yesterday, so I don't think he's failing to gain weight. I guess I'm
just looking for either reassurance that this is within the realm of
normal and, hopefully, that it won't last much longer, or for
information on whether this might indicate some problem and what I
should do about it.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 6 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old October 2nd 03, 09:29 PM
HollyLewis

thought after a growth spurt, the feedings are supposed to get further
apart? Why are they getting more frequent at this point?

Because you haven't reached the "after" the growth spurt yet? He's still in
the middle of one, it sounds like.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with his size. But I'm not sure what else it
could be, aside from a perfectly normal, if more pronounced than average,
growth spurt. I'd probably suggest coping the same way you would if you were
really ill and couldn't get any help. Gate off the living room or your
bedroom, park DD in front of some videos and her favorite toys, get some snacks
and water set up within reach and nurse DS in bed or on the couch. If it
doesn't get better within a couple more days, call a doctor and an LC.

Have you tried a pacifier?

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs
Old October 2nd 03, 09:56 PM
Cheryl S.

HollyLewis wrote in message
I thought after a growth spurt, the feedings are supposed to
get further apart? Why are they getting more frequent at this point?

Because you haven't reached the "after" the growth spurt yet?
He's still in the middle of one, it sounds like.

Thanks for the quick reply! How long can a growth spurt go on, though?
Aren't they usually 3-4 days long? If he is still having one, it's been
two weeks now since it started! Could he be having the 6-week spurt at
only 4 weeks old?

I just started going out and doing things in the mornings this week, for
the first time since he was born. We've been out every day from about
10:00 am to noon, to places like the grocery store, post office, etc.
Could my increased activity have affected my supply and make him need to
spend more time nursing to get as much milk?

I'm sure it has nothing to do with his size. But I'm not sure what
else it could be, aside from a perfectly normal, if more pronounced
than average, growth spurt. I'd probably suggest coping the same
way you would if you were really ill and couldn't get any help.
Gate off the living room or your bedroom, park DD in front of
some videos and her favorite toys, get some snacks and water
set up within reach and nurse DS in bed or on the couch. If it
doesn't get better within a couple more days, call a doctor and
an LC.

Will do, thanks!

Have you tried a pacifier?

No, I wasn't sure if he was still too young and it would mess up his
latch, or hinder my milk production? I just bought two on Monday, still
in the package, that I had intended on using only during nighttime
diaper changes, to keep him from waking the whole household when he
moves to his own room (he's rapidly getting too big for the bassinet).
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 6 mo.

Old October 2nd 03, 10:12 PM
Rob & Laura

I remember Cheryl Izabella being somewhat like that, she would nurse and
nurse and nurse till well till she had enough! I had long stretches like
that with maybe a 10 minute break in between it was CRAZY!! And getting
sleep was next to impossible! It did only last though during a growth spurt,
which she seemed to have all the time in my opinion. And it would last a
week or 2 with her as far as her nursing and nursing all the time. Finally
when she was around 2 months old it stopped and slowed down, now I believe
its getting worse for me..shes not nursing 6 hours or more straight, she
wakes up every 30-60 minutes during the night to be fed or rocked!! Boy I
dont know what I liked more, the 6 hour straight feedings or this?? HAHA

I dont think you going out and doing lots of active stuff would make him
what to eat more. But I am no expert, after all Izabella is my 1st and I
really don tknow that much.

I am sure soon it will slow down and you will look b ack and thank God it
finally has.

--
Laura
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

Old October 3rd 03, 12:03 AM
HollyLewis

Thanks for the quick reply!

Well, I didn't know how much help I would be, but I figured you could use a
fast response. :-)

How long can a growth spurt go on, though?
Aren't they usually 3-4 days long? If he is still having one, it's been
two weeks now since it started! Could he be having the 6-week spurt at
only 4 weeks old?

I think usually they're only a few days long, but I've heard of a few that
lasted two weeks. If you're lucky, he won't have another at 6 weeks. :-)

I just started going out and doing things in the mornings this week, for
the first time since he was born. We've been out every day from about
10:00 am to noon, to places like the grocery store, post office, etc.
Could my increased activity have affected my supply and make him need to
spend more time nursing to get as much milk?

It won't have affected your supply significantly, unless maybe you were letting
yourself get dehydrated. But stress can inhibit letdown, so if you've been
feeling like you're rushing around, slow down.

Have you tried a pacifier?

No, I wasn't sure if he was still too young and it would mess up his
latch, or hinder my milk production? I

Given how much and how effectively he's nursing, it certainly isn't going to
hurt your supply, and if his latch is good, there's no harm in trying. If he
takes it but then his latch slips (or his diaper output goes down too much),
just stop offering it. But if he takes it, and it doesn't affect his latch,
it'll give you at least a little relief. Long enough to maybe microwave some
soup anyway!

Also, can you nurse him in a sling yet? If not, I'd recommend you really focus
on getting that down, because it will allow you to feed yourself and play with
DD a bit even while he's latched on for hours at a time.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs
Old October 3rd 03, 12:29 AM
Larry McMahan

We can still remember the 10 hour nursing session from hell.
You have 4 hours to go.

:-)
Larry

Cheryl S. writes:
[...]
: --

Old October 3rd 03, 06:08 AM
Irrational Number

Cheryl S. wrote:
I know it's normal for babies to feed continuously for a couple hours in
the evening. DD did that, usually from about 7:00 to 10:00 every
evening. I wouldn't have a problem with that. DS had been doing that,
but over the past few days it's been getting longer and longer -
starting earlier and ending later. Yesterday was just unbelievable.
He's four weeks and one day old.

My pediatrician says that the growth charts are
actually quite jagged. The growth spurts are
not just at 6 weeks, 2 months, etc. Some babies
go through a smaller growth spurt every few days!

I have no suggestions, just sympathy! I remember
trying to explain to people that if I nurse
continuously for 45 minutes, I can get maybe 10
to 15 minute of "free" time to get some water, then
Pillbug would want more nursing. I remember
wondering how I could get people to believe that
I only had a few usable minutes every hour!
(And not have them think I'm doing something really
wrong!)

-- Anita --
--
SUCCESS FOUR FLIGHTS THURSDAY MORNING ALL AGAINST
TWENTY ONE MILE WIND STARTED FROM LEVEL WITH ENGINE

Old October 4th 03, 12:58 AM
Vijay

Irrational Number wrote in message ...
Cheryl S. wrote:
I know it's normal for babies to feed continuously for a couple hours in
the evening. DD did that, usually from about 7:00 to 10:00 every
evening. I wouldn't have a problem with that. DS had been doing that,
but over the past few days it's been getting longer and longer -
starting earlier and ending later. Yesterday was just unbelievable.
He's four weeks and one day old.

I am so annoyed to learn now about 2-3 hour feeding sessions being
NORMAL. All of the books I read said that babies would want to nurse
for 10-40 minutes total once every 2-3 hours. My DD wanted to nurse
all the time, but my family was giving me weird looks and comments
when I nursed her on demand. "She's eating AGAIN?!?" I heard more than
once.

I am convinced that I would not be having the supply issues I am
currently dealing with if I had just followed my instincts and not
listened to other people's idea of how often or how long a baby should
eat. Go with your instincts. If he wants to eat, let him eat. If you
put him on any kind of restrictive schedule, your supply might
decrease and your baby might become fussy and frustrated.

Just my two cents.

-V.
Old October 4th 03, 08:57 PM
Irrational Number

Vijay wrote:

I am so annoyed to learn now about 2-3 hour feeding sessions being
NORMAL. All of the books I read said that babies would want to nurse
for 10-40 minutes total once every 2-3 hours. My DD wanted to nurse
all the time, but my family was giving me weird looks and comments
when I nursed her on demand. "She's eating AGAIN?!?" I heard more than
once.

That's why I like this newsgroup more than
the books and pamphlets! Pillbug feeds
every 2 hours (sometimes 1.5) and does NOT
sleep 10 hours through the night. NONE of
the books told me this!

I am convinced that I would not be having the supply issues I am
currently dealing with if I had just followed my instincts and not
listened to other people's idea of how often or how long a baby should
eat. Go with your instincts. If he wants to eat, let him eat. If you
put him on any kind of restrictive schedule, your supply might
decrease and your baby might become fussy and frustrated.

I'm thankful to my pediatrician who said to
feed on demand, don't watch the clock, don't
schedule feedings, and throw out the formula.
I took my mom to the ped. with me once, so
she could hear for herself how well Pillbug
was doing with feed-on-demand, so she's totally
with me on this.

-- Anita --

Old October 5th 03, 03:09 AM

Larry McMahan wrote in message ...
We can still remember the 10 hour nursing session from hell.
You have 4 hours to go.

Saturday night DS ran a fever of 103F for a few hours, which turned
out to be the start of a nasty virus. Last Sunday night we had a 10
pm to 4 am session followed by a 5 am to 8:30 am nursing session (the
hour break was when my back couldn't take it any longer and I got us
up and distracted DS with toys for an hour). Then Monday night we had
an 11:30 pm to 7:30 am session. I just got up from an almost two-hour
session and left him sleeping on the bed.

Poor thing has had a scratchy ragged sore throat (I know, as I have it
now). I'm sure nursing is the only thing that makes it feel better...

--
C, mama to 11 month old nursling