refusal to feed after 5 mins

Old October 5th 03, 03:11 PM
jools

Default refusal to feed after 5 mins

Hello this is my first post,
My baby is two weeks old and I am having trouble breastfeeding. At the
moments she will take no more than 5 minutes at the breast before becoming
distressed and crying/screaming. She then falls asleep and refuses to take
anymore from breast or bottle. I am worried that she will not be getting
enough feed - I have had no visit from a health visitor as yet so am unable
to judge my babies health - weight gain etc. In the last 8 hours she has
only fed for about 16 minutes in total - I am woried - can anyone offer any
advice
Thankyou

Old October 5th 03, 04:03 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

First of all, don't worry about how LONG your baby nurses. Some babies
can get pretty efficient early on. Instead, count those wet and poopy
diapers! At two weeks of age, your baby should be making 6-8 soakers
every day, and probably still at least one good and poopy one daily as
well.

If your baby is making enough diapers, then just be grateful that she's
feeding efficiently.

If her diaper output is down, though, then you do need to help her nurse
longer. Some things that might help:

-- When she pulls away from the breast, burp her REALLY well. Babies
don't like to eat when they're full of wind.
-- Let her nurse for just five minutes, but wake her after a short time
-- either a really short time, like 10 minutes, or else about halfway
to when you expect she'd awaken on her own -- and feed her again **on
the same breast**. So you do two feeds on one breast instead of
switching at every feed.
-- When she pulls away, offer the other breast. Tickle her jaw to
trigger the latch reflex. Strip off her clothing to keep her chilly
and awake.

As you can tell, you can't try these things all at once. Some are
mutually exclusive.

Also, if her diaper output is down, call her doctor or your health
visitor. Do NOT assume that you need to switch to formula are expressed
breast milk. DO assume that there's a reason your baby isn't nursing
enough, and try to solve the actual problem (whatever the reason is)
rather than moving to a bottle (which may help with the sympton --
insufficient nursing -- but not the source).

Other people are sure to have further suggestions. Good luck, and
congratulations on the new arrival!
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old October 6th 03, 12:32 AM
KarenC

My first child languished for hours while nursing; my second was rarely
interested for more than 6 or 7 minutes, even as a newborn....and it was the
second who gained weight more quickly. Some babies are just very efficient
nursers. Count wet diapers and get her to a pediatrician periodically so
you can weigh her if you are worried.

Karen

Old October 6th 03, 04:00 AM
Chookie

In article , "jools" wrote:

My baby is two weeks old and I am having trouble breastfeeding. At the
moments she will take no more than 5 minutes at the breast before becoming
distressed and crying/screaming. She then falls asleep and refuses to take
anymore from breast or bottle. I am worried that she will not be getting
enough feed - I have had no visit from a health visitor as yet so am unable
to judge my babies health - weight gain etc. In the last 8 hours she has
only fed for about 16 minutes in total - I am woried - can anyone offer any
advice

Congratulations on your little girl!

The first question I have is: has she been given any bottle feeds, and for
what reason?

Secondly, do you have a lot of leaking/spraying going on?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc
Old October 6th 03, 09:14 PM
Jaclyn

The distressed crying sounds a lot like my son. The doc said he had some
reflux and suggested 1/2 tsp mylanta either before the nursing, or when this
happens.. it has calmed his nursings down so much!!

Old October 7th 03, 01:16 AM
Larry McMahan

jools writes:
: Hello this is my first post,
: My baby is two weeks old and I am having trouble breastfeeding. At the
: moments she will take no more than 5 minutes at the breast before becoming
: distressed and crying/screaming. She then falls asleep and refuses to take
: anymore from breast or bottle. I am worried that she will not be getting
: enough feed - I have had no visit from a health visitor as yet so am unable
: to judge my babies health - weight gain etc. In the last 8 hours she has
: only fed for about 16 minutes in total - I am woried - can anyone offer any
: advice
: Thankyou

We can give you some advice now, but to give you really good advice,
we need to understand more.

First you mention the bottle. How often are you giving her a bottle,
and what are you giving in the bottle? Formula? Expressed breast milk?
If you are supplementing let us know how much and with what.
In general, you should avoid supplementing with a bottle if at all
possible. This just creates more problems in the long run.

Second, have you seen a Lactation Consultant. I think one would help.
You should make sure to find one that is IBCLC certified. You may have
to pay a modest amount to get some help from one.

Third, how often are your feeding, and when do you decide to start a feed?
You should not be scheduling the feedings, and you should not be waiting
until your baby starts to cry. When your baby wakes and starts to root
around, you should offer the breast immediately. You shouuld not be doing
anything else (cooking, house cleaning, errands), that is what hubby is for.

Fourth, regarding your worry about weight gain. Don't count what goes in,
count what comes out. :-) You should have 6 - 8 wet cloth or 5 - 6 wet
disposable diapers a day. Contrary to other postings, I would not worry
about poopy diapers too much. Some babies will poop 3 - 4 times a day.
Others will poop less than once a week. All normal.

Are you cosleeping with her? I think this is one of the best ways to
ensure that she is getting adequate nursing opportunities.

Write back with an update.

Good luck,
Larry