prior to pregnancy -- any prep? (over 40, esp)

Old September 11th 07, 12:23 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Caledonia

Default prior to pregnancy -- any prep? (over 40, esp)

We're thiiiiinking about trying for child #3; it's an open question,
given our respective ages, whether this will even be a possibility.
Lately I've read about women going to the dentist, the OB, the PCP et
al prior to trying to become pregnant, just wanting to be 'checked.'
Is this overkill? (I admit, sounds like overkill to me.) Did anyone
*do* this, and if so, for what reasons?

Caledonia

Old September 11th 07, 02:22 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Stormlady

Going to the dentist is a good idea because pregnancy is hard on your teeth.
Your body only gets whatever calcium is left over after the baby gets what
they need. A check up and a cleaning is definately recommended, as well as
another while you're pregnant. There's an old saying that for every child,
a tooth. Basically, you could expect to lose at least one tooth with each
child.

oups.com...

Old September 11th 07, 03:18 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

We're thiiiiinking about trying for child #3; it's an open question,
given our respective ages, whether this will even be a possibility.
Lately I've read about women going to the dentist, the OB, the PCP et
al prior to trying to become pregnant, just wanting to be 'checked.'
Is this overkill? (I admit, sounds like overkill to me.) Did anyone
*do* this, and if so, for what reasons?

it doesn't sound unreasonable, though if you're up to date probably not
necessary, so if you haven't been to the dentist in 5 years, might be
better to go than find you have a problem during pregnancy and not
necessarily having all options open to sort it out. Getting immunities
checked might also be reasonable, particularly if there's been a
moderate gap since a previous pregnancy when they probably will have
been checked. Same goes for you annual, if you had it a month ago, no
need to go again, you don't want to end up going a long time between
them simply due to pregnancy and breastfeeding (if you're happy with
3yrly screening as is common in many other countries then it's not
really an issue). Check meds if you are on any. If you've had GD in a
previous pregnancy, or are obese, or have other risk factors for type 2
diabetes, as an older mother a screening check might well be a
reasonable idea, out of control blood sugars are not great for a
developing foetus.

Other things to think about might be, are you exercising, if so, do you
know if there are any changes you have to make if you get pregnant etc.
What about diet, are you eating a balanced diet, what will you have to
stop eating, does that make you deficient in anything. Check the label
of your vitamins if you take them to see if there is enough folic acid,
if there isn't or you don't take them, then make other arrangements.

Good Luck

Anne
Old September 11th 07, 10:28 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

"Caledonia" wrote in message
oups.com...
We're thiiiiinking about trying for child #3; it's an open question,
given our respective ages, whether this will even be a possibility.
Lately I've read about women going to the dentist, the OB, the PCP et
al prior to trying to become pregnant, just wanting to be 'checked.'
Is this overkill? (I admit, sounds like overkill to me.) Did anyone
*do* this, and if so, for what reasons?

Caledonia

Personally I put off going to the dentist because it's free here once you're
pregnant and for a year after birth.
I meant to get a smear done (they're not accurate when pregnant and for
about 6 months after) but forgot.
Wouldn't bother seeing a doctor unless I had specific questions.

I did try to eat well before pregnancy and even put a bit of weight on
before #3 as with the previous pregnancies I had bad ms and lost a lot of
weight. Unfortunately for that plan I wasn't as sick with #3 and so it
wasn't necessary. :-) Best laid plans and all that...
I did take folic acid.
I did make sure that the children were at a stage where I could cope with
another bad pregnancy. (school and preschool)

Debbie

Old September 12th 07, 03:31 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Carlye

On Sep 10, 6:23 pm, Caledonia wrote:
We're thiiiiinking about trying for child #3; it's an open question,
given our respective ages, whether this will even be a possibility.
Lately I've read about women going to the dentist, the OB, the PCP et
al prior to trying to become pregnant, just wanting to be 'checked.'
Is this overkill? (I admit, sounds like overkill to me.) Did anyone
*do* this, and if so, for what reasons?

Caledonia

I am in the process of doing this. I hadn't been to the dentist in 4
years and was afraid I had a cavity that would need attention -- xrays
wouldn't be possible while pregnant. I am going to see my doctor next
month because the last pap/physical I had while NOT pregnant was 4
years ago. My SIL is an optometrist and urged me to get my eyes
checked, since vision can change while pregnant (I think because of
blood pressure).

I don't think this is overkill, although your post might be triggered
by one of my posts where I announced I was doing this. I guess if I -
didn't- think I had a cavity (and had seen the dentist recently), I
wouldn't have bothered with the dentist. If I -had- had just a
routine pap in the last 4 years, I wouldn't be doing that. And if I -
hadn't- had so many back and sinus problems during my last pregnancy,
I wouldn't be concerned with seeing my doctor to check out my non-
pregnant self. And honestly, if I -hadn't- had a baby with an
arterial defect last time around, I probably wouldn't be so concerned
with any of this.

So, in a nutshell, it might be overkill for you. I didn't think it
was overkill for me, considering.

-Carlye
DD 9-29-04
DS 6-2-06

Old September 12th 07, 05:24 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Pologirl

On Sep 10, 5:23 pm, Caledonia wrote:
We're thiiiiinking about trying for child #3; it's an open question,
given our respective ages, whether this will even be a possibility.
Lately I've read about women going to the dentist, the OB, the PCP et
al prior to trying to become pregnant, just wanting to be 'checked.'
Is this overkill? (I admit, sounds like overkill to me.) Did anyone
*do* this, and if so, for what reasons?

Caledonia

Deferred maintenance usually isn't a good idea, regardless of whether
you plan to try for #3. Whatever needs to be taken care of, go out
and take care of it.

I'm kind of jealous that you're thiiiiinking about trying for child
#3. I kind of want another one but DH says he's done. I can see his
point. I don't like being pregnant, and I also find being a stay-at-
home mom very frustrating at times. But I adore my children and I
really, really enjoy tiny babies.

Hungry Girl is due to turn 1.

Pologirl
2004 Monkey Boy
2006 Hungry Girl

#3. I kind of want another one but DH says he's done. I can see his
point. I don't like being pregnant, and I also find being a stay-at-
home mom very frustrating at times. But I adore my children and I
really, really enjoy tiny babies.

Hungry Girl is due to turn 1.

Pologirl
2004 Monkey Boy
2006 Hungry Girl

DH is the big booster for #3; I'm on the fence -- and the whole "is
this going to happen as I'm old(er)' might make all of this moot. I
really dislike being pregnant, and finally feel with DD1 (8) and DD2
(4.5) that I've gotten the hang of this -- which might also be a
reason I haven't been the biggest booster.

I am the queen of deferred dental maintenance, mainly because my teeth
are in good shape yet I have a real issue with, well, dental work. I
feel that I substitute taking my kids to the dentist regularly, as if
that gets me a 'bye.'

Sigh. Still thinking, not yet convinced -- but all in all, I probably
should go to the dentist.

Caledonia

#3. I kind of want another one but DH says he's done. I can see his
point. I don't like being pregnant, and I also find being a stay-at-
home mom very frustrating at times. But I adore my children and I
really, really enjoy tiny babies.

Hungry Girl is due to turn 1.

Pologirl
2004 Monkey Boy
2006 Hungry Girl

LOL! I swear, you've got to get out of my head, Pologirl.

We're sort of in a similar place -- I'd theoretically like a third, as I
really really like the tiny baby stage. Dh says he is done, plus we have
the added complication of the adoption factor, both in time, money and
uncertainty of when it might happen (I guess you have that too with your
infertility history). He really just does not want to go through the whole
process again, and feels like we can't possibly have an easy time of it a
third time. I love my girls, but there are definitely times where I'm
overwhelmed or frustrated or just dang not feeling it. I think I'd be nuts
to add a 3rd child to the mix! At the same time, both girls are now in
preschool at the same time, so I'm starting to do non-kid things, and
feeling slightly human again...and think I'd be nuts to want to lose that to
sleepless nights with a newborn! LOL!

I think for me, it's the toddler years that I find the hardest -- 12 months
through 2.5, give or take. And golly, if that isn't a really long time!
Both girls are now potty trained, we don't use sippy cups or need to take a
diaper bag anywhere, and they sleep in real beds both at home and on
vacation. Life is getting SOOOOO much easier!

At the same time, I'm pretty dang thrilled with the fact that I'm a mom to
two amazing beautiful girls, and while I sometimes fantasize about another
baby, mostly I don't, and don't think that I will have the deep painful
longing to add another child to my family that some people have. I already
experienced that waiting for #1, so everything after that has been gravy.
It's amazing what a little perspective will do for ya!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clark_Guest1, Password:
guest
Password

Old September 12th 07, 11:29 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_4_]

I'm kind of jealous that you're thiiiiinking about trying for child
#3. I kind of want another one but DH says he's done. I can see his
point. I don't like being pregnant, and I also find being a stay-at-
home mom very frustrating at times. But I adore my children and I
really, really enjoy tiny babies.

I can really sympathise with you, my closest friends who are mums have 3
children, many other people around me are having their 3rd. Things
haven't gone great for me in pregnancies and postnatally (severe ppd the
first time and severe birth injuries the 2nd). I don't have a choice
about being a SAHM, I don't have a work visa and it would be difficult
to get one, it will be at least 5 years until I am allowed to work - it
almost seems like I should use that time to do a 3rd pregnancy and early
childhood. There is no predicting which bit is hardest for each child,
DS was a fairly high needs baby (though no where near as bad as some),
but at least that gave me chance to tune in to him, he's more sensitive
than many children, but I haven't considered things hard with him for a
long time, DD on the other hand was a breeze as a baby, pretty normal as
a 1 year old and has turned into a very challenging 2 year old, she's
very strong willed and is physically very strong, if she resists
something she can hurt me pretty bad. DS is also very keen for us to
provide him with a baby sibling! I have time on my side thankfully, I'm
27, which whilst nothing is guaranteed, if we did decide on another in
10 years or so there's a reasonable chance it would happen.

Cheers
Anne