"Hear the Silence" Channel 5 drama (broadcast December 2003)

Old December 22nd 03, 09:14 AM
Mark Stratford

Default "Hear the Silence" Channel 5 drama (broadcast December 2003)

Hello all

Unfortunately I missed this drama about MMR.

Is it possible there's anyone who has a video I could borrow...? I'm
very keen to see it.

I'd pay all postage etc.

Many thanks Mark Stratford (Hertfordshire).

PS: am having big problems with 'spam' on this email account at the
moment. Please could any replies kindly be posted to the newsgroup and
I can reply via my work email. Thanks again.
Old December 22nd 03, 11:14 AM
Jeremy Reece

Mark Stratford wrote:
Hello all

Unfortunately I missed this drama about MMR.

Is it possible there's anyone who has a video I could borrow...? I'm
very keen to see it.

I'd pay all postage etc.

Many thanks Mark Stratford (Hertfordshire).

I have it (and the following studio debate on MMR) which you could have if
you really want it... However, be warned that if your point of view is
anything like mine (that there is no MMR link) it *will* make you rather
angry... [understatement]

It's the most one-sided, negative portrayal of autism I've ever seen on TV.

--
Jeremy Reece

Autistic Spectrum Code v1.0:
AS! d(---) s:--: a-- c+++ p+ t+(-)@ f(-) S+
p+ e+++ h+ r--(*) n+() i@ P-+ m(-) M---
http://www32.brinkster.com/ascdecode
Old December 22nd 03, 01:50 PM
Marciosos8 Probertiosos8

"Jeremy Reece" wrote in message

It's the most one-sided, negative portrayal of autism I've ever seen on

TV.

Jeremy, you said "negative portrayal of autism" which leads me to beleive
that the program did not portray autism very well. What was it that you did
not like?

Old December 22nd 03, 03:40 PM
Jeremy Reece

Marciosos8 Probertiosos8 wrote:
Jeremy, you said "negative portrayal of autism" which leads me to beleive
that the program did not portray autism very well. What was it that you did
not like?

I'll quote myself from another part of this thread which wasn't
cross-posted to misc.kids.health (you can find the original posts and
follow-ups on alt.support.autism).

Jeremy Reece wrote:
I *really* disliked it. From the outset it showed a very, very negative
view of autism. All that was ever shown was the kid being disruptive or
awkward. Kicked out of school, running in to traffic, turning his
mother's life into a living hell... You know, the old 'autism is a fate
worse than death for all it touches' type of thing.

It tells the story of a woman trying to find something (anything!) to
blame for the "damage" (and that's a quote) to her son rather than
trying to make his life better.

It trys to sell itself as a "documentary drama" by quoting stats and
stuff from Wakefield's papers but it is important to remember that this
is a work of fiction.

I thought it tried to hard-sell ABA and GF/CF too much.

And that's without even mentioning the MMR jab... I'll stop before this
post becomes a *huge* rant :-)

In another post, I explained why I thought that it over-promoted ABA and
GF/CF diets:

Jeremy Reece wrote:
I wouldn't have minded them saying something like "these types of
programs (ABA and GF/CF diet) *can* help autistic kids." What bugged me
was the kind of "these programs will all but 'cure' your kid's autism
and if you don't implement them you're an irresponsible parent" type of
message which I thought it portrayed.

IMO, it was nothing more than scare-mongering.

Old December 22nd 03, 10:14 PM
Mark ProbertDecember 21, 2002

"Jeremy Reece" wrote in message
Marciosos8 Probertiosos8 wrote:
Jeremy, you said "negative portrayal of autism" which leads me to

beleive
that the program did not portray autism very well. What was it that you

did
not like?

I'll quote myself from another part of this thread which wasn't
cross-posted to misc.kids.health (you can find the original posts and
follow-ups on alt.support.autism).

Thanks. My comments interspersed.

Jeremy Reece wrote:
I *really* disliked it. From the outset it showed a very, very negative
view of autism. All that was ever shown was the kid being disruptive or
awkward. Kicked out of school, running in to traffic, turning his
mother's life into a living hell... You know, the old 'autism is a fate
worse than death for all it touches' type of thing.

This is similar to the way kids with AD/HD and/or "________" are often
portrayed. There seems to be a substantial media bias toward the horrid.

It tells the story of a woman trying to find something (anything!) to
blame for the "damage" (and that's a quote) to her son rather than
trying to make his life better.

Good point. I have two special kids, one with AD/HD and the other with
cerebral palsy. We had a fairly good case against my wife's OB/GYN for
negligence during the birth of our younger son. We tossded around the idea,
and then decided to forget it, as we felt that we should concentrate our
efforts on being better parents. never regretted it, and never looked back.

In some conditions, the "find someone to blame" crowd is fed by these liars
and, becomes even more of a victim because of it.

It trys to sell itself as a "documentary drama" by quoting stats and
stuff from Wakefield's papers but it is important to remember that this
is a work of fiction.

John Scumamore is incapable of determining fact from fiction.

I thought it tried to hard-sell ABA and GF/CF too much.

And that's without even mentioning the MMR jab... I'll stop before this
post becomes a *huge* rant :-)

Why be different?

Jeremy Reece wrote:
I wouldn't have minded them saying something like "these types of
programs (ABA and GF/CF diet) *can* help autistic kids." What bugged me
was the kind of "these programs will all but 'cure' your kid's autism
and if you don't implement them you're an irresponsible parent" type of
message which I thought it portrayed.

IMO, it was nothing more than scare-mongering.

That is the stock in trade of these creeps.

Old January 11th 04, 07:38 PM
JMac

Default Hear the Silence

I'm a parent of an autistic 7 year old boy in the US. Much of the same controversy is occurrng here. I would like to buy or rent a video copy of this docu-drama from someone.
I can pay all expenses plus something for your effort. Please leave a message here on the network. I'm a new member, and I'm not sure of the best ways to exchange info.

Thanks,
JMac

Old January 12th 04, 06:13 AM
HCN

"JMac" wrote in message
lkabouthealthnetwork.com...
I'm a parent of an autistic 7 year old boy in the US. Much of the same

controversy is occurrng here. I would like to buy or rent a video copy of
this docu-drama from someone.
I can pay all expenses plus something for your effort. Please leave a

message here on the network. I'm a new member, and I'm not sure of the best
ways to exchange info.

Thanks,
JMac

Except in the USA they have decided to blame thimerosal in vaccines, and in
the UK it is the MMR (by the way, the MMR vaccine has NEVER had thimerosal,
so it is two completely diffierent issues). But both have been shown to NOT
have anything to do with vaccines (ask about the Danish studies)... but just
in case here are a couple of reviews of the broadcast:

http://media.guardian.co.uk/broadcas...107946,00.html

and:

http://media.guardian.co.uk/overnigh...108087,00.html

and:

http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/00000006E00D.htm

Save your money... especiallay since someone might send it to you in PAL
format.