Solid frustrations

Old March 18th 04, 02:49 AM
Paradise News

Default Solid frustrations - my bubs was the same

Hi Lina

I really feel for you as my Charlotte - nearly 9 months was the same until a
couple of weeks ago. I just gave her more breastmilk, night and day, and
kept trying. I didn't want to make her associate eating with something
unpleasant so if she refused it, I didn't push it. She did like rusks
though, so a couple of weeks ago I started giving her some finger foods and
things which she previously wasn't interested in off a spoon, in pureed
form, she suddenly became interested in e.g. carrots (lightly steamed and
cut into finger handy pieces). Since being able to take an independent
stance and explore the world of food in her own way she has now accepted
food off a spoon and has gone from having hardly anything to 3 meals a day,
plus mid-morning and afternoon snacks! She's also cut back her breastfeeds
enourmously - 3 to 4 during the day and one night feed (she was waking 3 to
4 times at night - not always hungry - but unsettled) - this week she's
started sleeping in longer stretches - 8 hours one night! I guess what I'm
saying, in a long winded way, is these little'uns have their own agendas and
I'm sure she'll take to solids when she's ready. Good luck! I know how
frustrating it is!

Sarah and Charlotte (born 28 June)
"Lina" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
Alena won't eat solids. She just down-right refuses them.

Well, almost all of them. She'll eat carrots and bananas without a fuss.

However, she's been losing weight and I need to get her eating solids on a
regular basis or the doctor will have me supplement with formula to bring
her weight up.

I've tried offering solids before the breast.
I've tried mixing bananas and carrots (not at the same time) into her

other
foods
I've tried only giving her solids for a two hour period...

Nothing. Maybe a few bites.

If I give her nothing but carrots and bananas, she gets really constipated
and takes on a yellowish hue... (not yet actually, but I'm worried about
this as it has happened to my cousin's baby...)

So, mommies and daddies of the group, what should I try now?

Old March 18th 04, 10:34 AM
teapot

Default Update Solid frustrations

"Lina" wrote in message ble.rogers.com...
I called the ped who said that enough was enough and I should stop nursing
and give her high calorie formula which he would call in. I hung up on him
and am now looking for a new ped.
I called the interlologist who told me to come in on the 31st and to try the
Reminidine (Zantac) for now.
Then I tried all of your advice (everyone's. ) and offered her some of the
yam I was going to be eating in about five tiny cubes. She shoved them in
her mouth one at a time, chewed a bit and then swallowed.
Now she's eaten about 1/4 cup of them!!!!!! I'm not about to stop her. I'll
try some other foods later tonight for dinner.
We had one coughing episode but otherwise, she's been eating for about 15
minutes!
Thank you!
I love you all! This group rocks!!!!

Good for you! Well done to both of you and hooray for Yam!

BTW - Moo would only eat banana at first so I mixed it with everything
- carrots, potatoes........ he was quite happy with that but now will
go for separate tastes.

teapot
Old March 18th 04, 04:23 PM
Lina

Good for you! Well done to both of you and hooray for Yam!

BTW - Moo would only eat banana at first so I mixed it with everything
- carrots, potatoes........ he was quite happy with that but now will
go for separate tastes.

teapot

You have no idea some of the combinations I've come up with....
Peas and bananas (no carrots at this point, she wouldn't eat them) squash
and carrot, avocado and carrot (which made a really pretty color) I could go
on...

Last night she ate another 1/2 cup of the yam!

Old March 18th 04, 05:14 PM
Circe

Lina wrote:
I called the ped who said that enough was enough and I should stop
nursing and give her high calorie formula which he would call in. I
hung up on him and am now looking for a new ped.

Good on you, Lina! I think that's the absolutely right thing to do.

I called the interlologist who told me to come in on the 31st and
to try the Reminidine (Zantac) for now.

Sounds like a good idea, especially if the Losec doesn't seem to be helping
and the Zantac did.

Then I tried all of your advice (everyone's. ) and offered her
some of the yam I was going to be eating in about five tiny cubes.
She shoved them in her mouth one at a time, chewed a bit and then
swallowed.
Now she's eaten about 1/4 cup of them!!!!!! I'm not about to stop
her. I'll try some other foods later tonight for dinner.

That is superb! So maybe it really was that she was just not too
enthusiastic about the puree. I know when my kids got to about this age,
they wanted food that needed chewing, maybe because the sensation of
pressure on their gums eased the discomfort of teething. Whatever the
reason, if it works, keep doing it!

I love you all! This group rocks!!!!

And we love you. Keep up the good work, Mama!
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [2] mom)

Old March 18th 04, 07:42 PM
Kathy Cole

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 23:06:04 GMT, "Lina"
wrote:

I've heard a lot about it. I was looking into it as well. It's blooming
expensive... something like $1.45 per ounce of breastmilk.... yikes...

When my youngest was discharged from the hospital, we were instructed to
add regular formula powder to bottles of breastmilk (basically, use
regular formula as caloric/nutritional fortifier). One scoop of
powdered fomula is forty calories plus a number of nutrients; when
you're interviewing new pediatricians, I'd ask about that.
Old March 18th 04, 11:49 PM
H Schinske

Default Solid frustrations

Cadie ) wrote:

I personally believe that if babies needed the amounts of each
nutrition in formula, then breastmilk would have those amounts. But
I've also been labeled as crazy...

The amounts in formula are well within the normal variation for breastmilk, and
are set where they are, rather than right at the mean for breastmilk, because
the formula has a longer shelf life with those proportions. I don't consider
those slight differences in nutrients to be at all significant, compared to the
other differences between formula and breastmilk.

--Helen
Old March 19th 04, 01:12 AM
Sue

That's great Lina, that she ate so much, not about the doctor. Good luck on
finding another doctor that will listen to you and has much more knowledge
about breastfeeding. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old March 19th 04, 04:38 AM
Melissa

Have you tried finger foods? DD wouldn't eat puree, but took to finger foods
like a charm.

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03