Counsellor training

Old March 16th 04, 10:05 PM
Philly

Default Counsellor training

I am training to be a bf counsellor and one of the questions has
stumped me! The question is "how does the time of day/night that a
baby feeds affect milk production?". I am pretty sure it is referring
to the difference in the content of breastmilk in the day and at night
and I am also pretty sure that I know vaguely that breastmilk produced
at night is tastier and more fatty due to mother being rested but I
can't find this written anywhere - I have been searching on google for
about 2 hours now and figured this a great place to ask. I don't need
medical references or anything - will gladly receive any suggestions.

TIA
Philly
Old March 16th 04, 10:57 PM
Larry McMahan

Philly writes:
: I am training to be a bf counsellor and one of the questions has
: stumped me! The question is "how does the time of day/night that a
: baby feeds affect milk production?". I am pretty sure it is referring
: to the difference in the content of breastmilk in the day and at night
: and I am also pretty sure that I know vaguely that breastmilk produced
: at night is tastier and more fatty due to mother being rested but I
: can't find this written anywhere - I have been searching on google for
: about 2 hours now and figured this a great place to ask. I don't need
: medical references or anything - will gladly receive any suggestions.

: TIA
: Philly

The milk production is highest in the last half of the sleep cycle.
For most people that means from about 3 AM to 7 AM. It is also
lowest in the evening before bedtime. That would make it approx
7 PM to 10 PM.

Larry
Old March 17th 04, 12:11 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

Philly wrote:

I am training to be a bf counsellor and one of the questions has
stumped me! The question is "how does the time of day/night that a
baby feeds affect milk production?".

You'll make more milk depending on the time of day the baby normally
feeds? I can go 6 hours during the day without pumping or nursing and
not be uncomfortable, but can't go 6 hours at night without being
horribly engorged, because my baby nurses mostly at night.

Phoebe

Old March 17th 04, 12:48 PM
Mary Ann Tuli

Philly wrote:

I am training to be a bf counsellor and one of the questions has
stumped me! The question is "how does the time of day/night that a
baby feeds affect milk production?". I am pretty sure it is referring
to the difference in the content of breastmilk in the day and at night
and I am also pretty sure that I know vaguely that breastmilk produced
at night is tastier and more fatty due to mother being rested but I
can't find this written anywhere - I have been searching on google for
about 2 hours now and figured this a great place to ask. I don't need
medical references or anything - will gladly receive any suggestions.

TIA
Philly

More prolactin is produced by the mother at night, so a night feed is
more beneficial in boosting supply than a day time feed.

Googling for prolactin might help.

Sorry...no time to write more.

I'm going to train to be a councellor soon too :-)

Good luck,

Mary Ann