need encourgement/advice

Old March 18th 04, 12:40 AM
Lmv

Default need encourgement/advice

Im hoping some one here can help me. My baby is 13 weeks old and has only
been breastfeed. I work full time, I can not scale back my hours and I can
not get to my baby at all during the day to nurse. She is now drinking 22OZ
of EBM per day and there is no way I can pump that much. I have taken every
know herb and oatmeal and drank water until im sick the very most I can get
pumped at work is about 9oz this is pumping 3 times a day using a PIS and or
a Lactina. I pump again when I get home and again before bed and again in
the morning. I just cant keep up. I tired putting her on rice cereal
hoping that she would take one less feeding while I am at work. It has not
worked. I was so proud of myself for only breastfeeding and im so sad that
im going to have to give her a bottle or two of formula a day. Does anyone
have any other suggestions for me. Would it be really bad to water down the
EBM and wake her up at night (she sleeps all night) a few times to make up
for the "lost feeding" At this point I will try anything and if I do have
to give her formula should I mix it with EBM to get her use to help. I feel
so discouraged right now......

Lori

Old March 18th 04, 12:49 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

Lmv wrote:
Would it be really bad to water down the
EBM and wake her up at night (she sleeps all night) a few times to make up
for the "lost feeding"

Don't water down the EBM - you could wind up with a sick baby. Do feed
her at night. But you aren't going to get much sleep - my DD (now 9.5
months) never took more than about 10-12 ounces during the day, but
nurses up to 5 times a night. We co-sleep and nurse lying down, which
is all that keeps me sane.

Phoebe

Old March 18th 04, 01:08 AM
toypup

"Lmv" wrote in message
newse66c.40808$506.7298@fed1read05...
[...]

It does no good to feed you child less than she needs just so she can remain
exclusively BF'd. Watering down EBM is just as bad as watering down formula
and can have very serious consequences, the least of which is your child not
getting adequate nutrition.

Feeding your child cereal is not recommended for her age. Not only is it
not working, she is also getting less nutrients than she would if she were
getting formula. I fail to see how you choose cereal over formula.

I wonder why are you so against combi-feeding? If you can't pump enough
milk, then that's what formula is for. Sure you can mix formula and EBM to
get the quantity that you need. Meanwhile, pump what you can, but don't
kill yourself over it. Your DD needs a happy mommy who can think straight
and play with her, not one who is distraught and consumed with guilt and
spending every bit of free time getting sick taking galactagogues or
pumping.

FWIW, I worked part-time and combi-fed DS when I came up short pumping. I'm
planning on doing it again for DD. It's okay. Much better than risking
dilutional hyponatremia or malnutrition.

Old March 18th 04, 01:25 AM
Lmv

Thank you both. Im just so frustrated right now. Its not so much that im
so against combifeeding. Although my post kind of seems that way...its just
that I did not BF my first DD and I swore that I would only BF this
daughter. I guess its kind of a defet thing. I dont want to give in but I
think im going to have to. Maybe I will mix one oz of formula per 3 oz of
EBM. I think that should carry us until I get off work.

Old March 18th 04, 01:54 AM
Kereru

"Lmv" wrote in message
Thank you both. Im just so frustrated right now. Its not so much that im
so against combifeeding. Although my post kind of seems that way...its

just
that I did not BF my first DD and I swore that I would only BF this
daughter. I guess its kind of a defet thing. I dont want to give in but

think im going to have to. Maybe I will mix one oz of formula per 3 oz of
EBM. I think that should carry us until I get off work.

Hey you are not giving in, you are *choosing* a third option. You have done
really well to breastfeed exclusively this far and if you can continue to
feed her at least some breastmilk for longer she will still benefit.

Judy

Old March 18th 04, 02:48 AM
Larry McMahan

Phoebe & Allyson writes:
: Lmv wrote:
: Would it be really bad to water down the
: EBM and wake her up at night (she sleeps all night) a few times to make up
: for the "lost feeding"

: Don't water down the EBM - you could wind up with a sick baby. Do feed
: her at night. But you aren't going to get much sleep - my DD (now 9.5
: months) never took more than about 10-12 ounces during the day, but
: nurses up to 5 times a night. We co-sleep and nurse lying down, which
: is all that keeps me sane.

: Phoebe

I agree with Phoebe. Don't water the EBM. Night nurse more often,
using co-sleeping to be there for her so she can nurse more often.

If you simply feed her what is available during the day, nurse
her the minute you see her after work, and nurse as often as she
likes at night, things should be find.

Good luck,
Larry

Old March 18th 04, 04:03 AM
Nikki

Lmv wrote:
Im hoping some one here can help me. My baby is 13 weeks old and has
only been breastfeed. I work full time, I can not scale back my
hours and I can not get to my baby at all during the day to nurse.
She is now drinking 22OZ of EBM per day and there is no way I can
pump that much.

I had to supplement my second baby as well so I know how stressful this can
be. I was so wound up about it in the weeks leading up to the need to
supplement. I don't know if I was expecting lightening to strike me the
moment the first drop of formula passed his lips or what but he carried on
without a blink and my stress just evaporated. I would not water down the
EBM. You could try just sending her the amount you pump and let her make do
with that and she'll wake up at night to nurse. My #1 did that (because he
refused to eat during the day) He was not a very happy baby during the day
so I personally would not recommend that. I chose formula with #2 over
having him make do and over pushing solids. He wanted a bottle of milk so
formula it was. It met his needs better then the alternatives. He was
content and happy and continued to thrive on all the breastmilk he was
getting. I chose to offer full EBM bottles and then send extra bottles of
formula to be used at the end of the day if he needed it. FWIW I did not
have to supplement on our days off and the few bottles did not seem to
negatively impact my supply at all.

You are doing a fantastic thing by nursing your baby while you are working.
Don't let this one little thing spoil the good feelings you should have
about that!!

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old March 18th 04, 08:12 AM
CY

I would add that you should not physically mix the formula with the EBM in
case she doesn't drink it all. Feed the EBM first and then make up the
shortfall with formula (in another bottle).

{{lmv}}

Hang in there...

CY

Old March 18th 04, 12:53 PM
Lmv

Thank you Nikki

I tired to give her formula last night just to see if she would take it.
She wouldnt. But, I know its very very possible that when my mom is
watching her and im no where around she will take it. Im going to pump like
crazy these next few days and see if I can make up my difference. I would
imagine if I sit and pump for 20 minutes every hour in the evening I can
surly increase my supply.

Lori

Old March 18th 04, 03:13 PM
Ralph Flikweert

you can definitely increase your supply that way..I am also a working
mom..(first time mother to 3 month old dd)...I fortunately can take her to
work most of the time (self-employed) but sometimes I can't. I have been
pumping an extra bottle every night for about 1 week now and my supply has
definitely increased. Before I pumped the extra bm I mixed bm with formula
and dd seemed to like it just as much! Sometimes different formulas are also
a problem...my dd did not like any formula except the new Enfamil A+.
....Michelle and Mikayla