Weaning help needed

Old March 30th 04, 05:24 PM
Melissa

Default Weaning help needed

I was going to keep going twice a day indefinately, but DD bit me really,
really hard two nights ago and then did it again yesterday morning and again
last night. I tried the usual ways to stop her, but she got hysterical when
I unlatched her and wasn't even interested in going back on. She's nearly a
year and think she's self-weaning. Regardless, I'm not willing to walk
around with scabs on my breasts, so we're weaning.

The problem is that she's never been great at taking a bottle (except from
her nanny). DH can't get her to take even a drop and it took me ten minutes
to get two ounces into her. What's happened the past two nights is that we
get a few ounces into her at bedtime and then she wakes up a few times and
puts herself back to sleep (e.g. bedtime at 7 p.m., awake at 8:30 and
10:00). Then she's down until 4:30 a.m., when I nurse her and she doesn't
bite me. When she wakes, we just give her breakfast instead of trying to
nurse. Although this seems to be working, it means she's hysterical at
bedtime and we're waking at 4:30 a.m., which we haven't done in months
(she's been sleeping from 7 p.m. - 6 a.m. for quite a while).

What makes things yet more challenging is that we're leaving for the east
coast (three hour time difference) on Thursday where we'll be staying at two
different places. Daylight savings starts/ends on April 4, while we're away,
which should mess up her times further. On top of all of that, we're in the
process of moving. We're leaving our house on April 23 and will be living in
a hotel for a week before we move into our new house on April 30. Every book
I've read says that this is not the time for weaning, but I'm not sure what
other choice I have.

Any ideas?

We're thinking that we might try giving her milk from her straw cup tonight
rather than a bottle and, if she takes enough milk, let her CIO at 4:30 a.m.
Thank you in advance for your help. I'm feeling like whatever I do is wrong
since she's been so unhappy with the process, but she also can't keep biting
me.

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Old March 30th 04, 10:23 PM
Drop45

"Melissa" wrote in message
I was going to keep going twice a day indefinately, but DD bit me really,
really hard two nights ago and then did it again yesterday morning and

again
last night. I tried the usual ways to stop her, but she got hysterical

when
I unlatched her and wasn't even interested in going back on. She's nearly

year and think she's self-weaning. Regardless, I'm not willing to walk
around with scabs on my breasts, so we're weaning.

oh boy - i went through that. my DS would clamp on with all his teeth & all
his might that RIPPPP away! i was bloodied, bruised and in *pain* Also he'd
do the unexpected chomp. ugh. anway - i was actually trying to give him a
bottle or pacifier (neither of which he ever used) because i was desperate!
I ended up continuing till 18 months. we were down to only nursing before
nap at that point.

The problem is that she's never been great at taking a bottle (except from
her nanny). DH can't get her to take even a drop and it took me ten

minutes
to get two ounces into her. What's happened the past two nights is that we
get a few ounces into her at bedtime and then she wakes up a few times and
puts herself back to sleep (e.g. bedtime at 7 p.m., awake at 8:30 and
10:00). Then she's down until 4:30 a.m., when I nurse her and she doesn't
bite me. When she wakes, we just give her breakfast instead of trying to
nurse. Although this seems to be working, it means she's hysterical at
bedtime and we're waking at 4:30 a.m., which we haven't done in months
(she's been sleeping from 7 p.m. - 6 a.m. for quite a while).

DS would never take a bottle, he startted on a sippy cup but even then it
wasn't easy for him to get used to it. i found he could drink through a
straw though. you can try that. also - the advent bottles have adapter tops
and DS could use the soft spout sippy top. those and the First Years
disposable non-spill cups which have molded plastic tops with a different
shape than other sippee cups. these worked for our transition. you don't
want to get her hooked on a bottle now anyway.

is she hysterical at bedtime from hunger, fustration w/bottle or desire to
nurse?

What makes things yet more challenging is that we're leaving for the east
coast (three hour time difference) on Thursday where we'll be staying at

two
different places. Daylight savings starts/ends on April 4, while we're

away,
which should mess up her times further. On top of all of that, we're in

the
process of moving. We're leaving our house on April 23 and will be living

in
a hotel for a week before we move into our new house on April 30. Every

book
I've read says that this is not the time for weaning, but I'm not sure

what
other choice I have.

you can really just grin & bear it but you said you don't want to deal with
it. books don't know your baby. i can say from my experience & others that a
big transition isn't a good time and this age is too young but that's for
you to decide.

Any ideas?

We're thinking that we might try giving her milk from her straw cup

tonight
rather than a bottle and, if she takes enough milk, let her CIO at 4:30

a.m.
Thank you in advance for your help. I'm feeling like whatever I do is

wrong
since she's been so unhappy with the process, but she also can't keep

biting
me.

--

i would definitely try the straw as i mentioned - why not give a straw cup
at 4:30 as well? send in DH so she isn't lookinf for boobs. DH helped us

good luck.

Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Old March 30th 04, 11:06 PM
CY

She probably isn't self weaning - I think most babies go through a biting
phase and you just have to let them know that when they bite, no more
nursing. I would agree with the books in tht this is the worst time for
weaning. You probably just have to keep an eye on her when she's nursing
and unlatch her before she does.

Larry has some good advice for this one too, so watch for his reply!

Old March 31st 04, 03:52 AM
Barbara Warner

Melissa,
I feel your pain, literally! One of my twins is going through a really
rough teething period now, and spent most of the weekend avoiding
nursing and biting me instead. She's even dive at the nipple and pull
it, then squeal "No!". She knows she's not supposed to do that! I tried
all the usual techniques, somewhat consistently, with no success.

After 2-3 days of this, I was really convinced that she'd begun to wean.
DH put her down for the night tonight without a bottle or any nursing,
just cuddling and patting near/in her crib. She spent the entire time
(20 min?) gnawing at a teething ring (something she or her sister hasnt'
ever done), and was very annoyed until she conked out.
But, she woke up on her own accord about 30 minutes later, we gave her
some Tempra (baby Tylenol / paracetemol?), and I latched her on,
carefully. She nursed, properly and happily, to sleep!

So, I guess what I'm saying is that you might not need to panic about
your trip and weaning plans yet. Your DD may be indicating she wants to
wean, or she might be teething, or a bit of both. You might want to keep
offering regularly, and just go with the flow.

If you are looking for ways to make the transition easier, maybe don't
focus on the bottle so much as "don't offer, don't refuse" nursing, and
try milk and liquids in her diet (ie Cheerios in milk on a spoon,
yogurt, fruits, etc).

My LC (also an RN) also suggested that older babies might not need milk
before bed anyhow, so as long as your DD is getting a varied, full diet
anyhow, you might not need to fuss with getting her used to a bottle or
whatever. In our case, it seems my DD needs to be tired and have her
teething issues dealt with first, before she will nurse.

I hope this helps! I'm sure others here will have good tips for you too.
the Kellymom site might as well (trying Googling for Kelly Mom and
teething or weaning?)
--Barbara

Old March 31st 04, 05:13 PM
Melissa

Default Weaning help needed (follow-up)

Thanks to everyone who posted. DD took a few ounces last night from the
bottle and showed no interest in nursing at all. She was squished up against
her favorite boob, yet reached for the bottle.

She almost slept through the night (until 5 a.m. instead of 6 a.m.) so we
gave her a bottle this morning. Again, I put her in the usual nursing
position and she was only interested in the bottle. However she took six oz.
so I guess we're weaning. I'm pretty much ready, but had expected it (a) to
go at my pace not hers and (b) to last a bit longer. I guess I had visions
of nursing her before bed through the summer as I (I hope) grew increasingly
pregnant (we're not TTCing yet, but soon). Oh well, she's always been on a
different schedule than others so I guess this is the right time for her.
Fortunately, left seems nearly dry anyway (hasn't been used since Saturday
and no engorgement or pain) and even right doesn't seem to mind too much
(last used a tiny bit yesterday at 4 a.m. and no pain yet).

I'll hang out here for a while longer, but I wanted to thank everyone here
for supporting me through the difficult early few weeks and through the
year. I gave it my best shot and she only had formula four times in the year
(she's on cows milk now per her doctor). I figure I gave her a really good
start and now we'll move on to the next step in our relationship.

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03

Tandem Weaning eggs Breastfeeding 8 March 12th 04 04:59 AM
Still producing milk after weaning Shelley Breastfeeding 6 February 16th 04 05:47 AM
milk supply, night weaning, pumping, and menstruation questions Cathy Weeks Breastfeeding 9 October 28th 03 09:12 PM
Article on weaning Shannon Breastfeeding 1 August 20th 03 10:36 PM
Help...weaning is soooooooooo confusing! Clisby Williams Breastfeeding 3 July 28th 03 07:15 AM