Homeopathic remedy for infected toenail and Hale's question

Old December 7th 06, 03:14 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

Default Homeopathic remedy for infected toenail and Hale's question

I got a shot of Rocephin, which appears to be safe for nursing moms,
but also a 'script for Sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim (bactrim). Lots of
sources say its contraindicated for BF, but kellymom says it's L3 -
'safe but risk is possible'. Does anyone have Hale's? I'm kind of
paranoid to take anything. The doc who prescribed it was clueless about
that - he knew rocephin was safe since they give to kids, but no idea
about the bactrim.

And what can I do instead? The toenails themselves are no longer
ingrown, the cotton under the nail trick worked, but one is rather
infected and the other is getting there (and one hurts like hell). I've
been soaking in hot water with epsom salts as often as possible. I
tried tea tree oil but it didn't do much. They've been this way about 6
wks - got better for awhile it seemed, altho it may be just because I
was wearing sandals so didn't notice until I put closed toed shoes on
again. Any suggestions?

Old December 7th 06, 06:08 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

[...]

So that's an antibiotic? so why does the doctor not give you one that is
known to be safe for breastfeeding? there are definitely some out there that
are capable of treating the usual type of infection in that kind of area and
are L2 rather than L3, I don't have a hales unfortunately and in recent
times it doesn't seem like anyone else has one handy, is there a lactation
consultant you could ask, or call a LLL leader? It's always worth checking
his website, because though it won't have a copy of the entry, there are
often related questions, so for example, I searched for bactrim and found
this:

I am breastfeeding my 6 month old and was prescribed Bactrim DS bid x 1 wk.
After consulting with pharmacist, ob/gyn, and pediatrician I received
contraversal data. Ob/gyn did not recommend. Pharmacist and pediatrician
recommended. Which is right? My baby was born 5 weeks premature...does that
make a difference?

with the response

Its fine. Check my book for details. Even though premature, you infant
should be able to handle the small amounts in milk just fine.

which basically tells you that it's going to be fine in normal dosages.

As for other treatments for ingrown toenails, it seems like the cotton wool
under the edge is one of the best ones, plus wearing comfy shoes or sandals
so there is no pressure on it. Also daily cleaning with something that would
stamp on any early developing infection, vinegar works. I saw this online,
which looks interesting http://www.nailease.com/, I might try this myself, I
don't actually have an ingrowing toenail, but it works out to be similar, I
got an infection in my absolutely normal toenail and after that it fell off,
so then regrowing a toenail is vunerable to infections in the same way that
an ingrowing toenail is, then for whatever reason, it falls off again, now
ideally the solution would be working out why when it gets infected it falls
off as that's the abnormal behaviour, but no one really has any idea on
that, so the next best is to try and prevent the infection and with a new
nail, the cotton wool under the corners isn't possible, so this looks like
my best bet.

Cheers

Anne

Old December 7th 06, 06:29 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Lara

Anne Rogers wrote:

[Bactrim, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole, prescribed for infected
toenail]

So that's an antibiotic? so why does the doctor not give you one that is
known to be safe for breastfeeding? there are definitely some out there that
are capable of treating the usual type of infection in that kind of area and
are L2 rather than L3, I don't have a hales unfortunately and in recent
times it doesn't seem like anyone else has one handy, is there a lactation
consultant you could ask, or call a LLL leader?

For a (limited) list with AAP, pregnancy, and lactation ratings, have a
look at
http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...ml#Antibiotics

With other medications you can search Hale's forum, search the mkb
archives with keywords drugname and Hale, search the Lactnet archives.

Infected ingrown toenails generally have plenty of available drugs of
choice (depending on allergies), including cephalexin and
flucloxacillin/dicloxacillin - the same antibiotics commonly used for
mastitis treatment. At six months postpartum erythromycin is another
possibility. If more targeted treatment is needed or MRSA suspected, a
swab could be taken.

Lara
Old December 7th 06, 08:19 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Me Myself and I

"cjra" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Cut a small v shaped notch into the middle of each big toe nail. This helps
to ease the pressure on the sides of the nail. It's always been helpful for
me.

--
Pip

My girls :
DD1 Jasmine - 5 weeks early - 21 March 02 -
Still as small as a peanut but as smart as a whip!

DD2 Abby - 8 weeks early - 3 Feb 05 -
I am very polite and say "Ank Ooooooo" whenever I'm given something.

"Yes you can drive me insane just by talking to me!"