birthday party favors

Old December 1st 05, 08:46 PM posted to misc.kids

Default birthday party favors

I am plumb out of ideas. Last year we did little celophane bags with those
junk toys that you get at party stores. I don't have a lot of money. Anyone
have any nice ideas for about *gasp* 10 5yos?

Also, what are fun game ideas for this age?

Old December 1st 05, 09:04 PM posted to misc.kids

I was in the toy aisle at Target the other day and I noticed that all
things Play-Doh were on sale. What about getting one of those huge
packs of tiny Play-Doh tubs and giving each of the kids one? Sometimes
those packs also come with little cookie cutter-like objects too, that
might be fun, and if you have a Target nearby, it might not be too
expensive.
I used to work in a kindergarten and one of the kids' favorite games
was called "Doggie Doggie Where's Your Bone?" They played it in music
class. It's kind of a nice quiet game.
http://www.alphabet-soup.net/goose/hubbardgame.html

Just make sure you are watching carefully, cheating can be a huge
temptation at this age.

Good Luck,
Sarah

Old December 1st 05, 09:10 PM posted to misc.kids

In article , Stephanie says...

I am plumb out of ideas. Last year we did little celophane bags with those
junk toys that you get at party stores. I don't have a lot of money. Anyone
have any nice ideas for about *gasp* 10 5yos?

Stand up to the tide and refuse to have party favors!!

OK, OK, guess that won't work And maybe you like doing them...

But, jeez, it's been practically an arms race regarding party favors, more and
more, kewler and kewler, year by year.

Hmmmmph

Banty

Old December 1st 05, 09:14 PM posted to misc.kids

Stephanie wrote:
I am plumb out of ideas. Last year we did little celophane bags with those
junk toys that you get at party stores. I don't have a lot of money. Anyone
have any nice ideas for about *gasp* 10 5yos?

Also, what are fun game ideas for this age?

Boy or girl? Makes a BIG difference!

Old December 1st 05, 09:20 PM posted to misc.kids

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 15:46:37 -0500, "Stephanie"
wrote:

I am plumb out of ideas. Last year we did little celophane bags with those
junk toys that you get at party stores. I don't have a lot of money. Anyone
have any nice ideas for about *gasp* 10 5yos?

Also, what are fun game ideas for this age?

Does the party have a theme? What is a theme your child would love?
Mine loves bugs and lizards, so I'm planning to do a garden theme for
her birthday.

Nan

Old December 1st 05, 09:31 PM posted to misc.kids

On 1 Dec 2005 13:10:31 -0800, Banty wrote:
Stand up to the tide and refuse to have party favors!!

OK, OK, guess that won't work And maybe you like doing them...

Works for me, I haven't done favors in years now. I'm sick of kids
actually complaining when they don't get them. IMO Everyone should
stop doing them.
Marie
Old December 1st 05, 09:57 PM posted to misc.kids

On 1 Dec 2005 13:10:31 -0800, Banty wrote:

In article , Stephanie says...

I am plumb out of ideas. Last year we did little celophane bags with those
junk toys that you get at party stores. I don't have a lot of money. Anyone
have any nice ideas for about *gasp* 10 5yos?

Stand up to the tide and refuse to have party favors!!

OK, OK, guess that won't work And maybe you like doing them...

But, jeez, it's been practically an arms race regarding party favors, more and
more, kewler and kewler, year by year.

Hmmmmph

Banty

I have to admit I can't stand the junky little toys that usually come
home as favors.
Otoh, dd went to a 'painting' birthday party in which the guests
decorated t-shirts using all manner of neat stuff. It kept them
occupied and they got to bring the shirts home.

Nan

Old December 1st 05, 10:08 PM posted to misc.kids

"Stephanie" ) writes:
I am plumb out of ideas. Last year we did little celophane bags with those
junk toys that you get at party stores. I don't have a lot of money. Anyone
have any nice ideas for about *gasp* 10 5yos?

Also, what are fun game ideas for this age?

Game: "Less Competitive Musical Chairs":
http://www.ncf.ca/~an588/musicalchairs.txt

Party favours: tiny picture books that cost about a dollar each.
Home-made cookies with colourful decorations like faces etc.
Finger puppets, hats etc. that you make out of paper.
Your own child can have fun helping to make them for
everyone, colouring them etc.
Old December 1st 05, 10:16 PM posted to misc.kids

"Nan" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, we did a "spring party" one year where they
painted flower pots and then planted a flower and
they got to take that home.

At another party, the kids each got a kite. I suppose
it wouldn't work at this time of the year, but you can
get those cheap kites for $1 each, and it's less
expensive than getting full goody bags. That wasn't
us -- it was one we went to.

I've also had piñatas some years, and so they fill their
goody bag with whatever loot they get from the
piñata.

Another time we had a shark party and got a pack
of those inflatable sharks from Oriental Trading
Company. We blew them up and hung them to
decorate the porch, and then sent one home with
each child.

Bizby

Old December 1st 05, 10:44 PM posted to misc.kids

Banty wrote:
In article , Stephanie says...

I am plumb out of ideas. Last year we did little celophane bags with those
junk toys that you get at party stores. I don't have a lot of money. Anyone
have any nice ideas for about *gasp* 10 5yos?

Stand up to the tide and refuse to have party favors!!

Hear! Hear!

OK, OK, guess that won't work And maybe you like doing them...

But, jeez, it's been practically an arms race regarding party favors, more and
more, kewler and kewler, year by year.

One parent gently berated me for giving out party favors (I confess to
using DD's Halloween candy). He thought it was insane to give the
guests gifts for coming to party - way too much gift-giving.

I saw his point.

Now onto the Christmas gift for DD's teacher...
(Luckily, DD usually just creates a Christmas card on her own.)

Jeanne