So sad

Old December 3rd 05, 06:33 PM posted to misc.kids

Default So sad

Remember that child who I was trying to invite for a playdate? He's DS's
first very best friend. Well, I met the mom last Monday. We were invited
to celebrate his birthday at Chuck E. Cheese, our first get-together. It
was just DS and him and his sister and his sister's friend, and of course
his mom and me. DH and I had hopes that this would bring us closer so that
the boys could nurture their relationship, but I found out that they are
moving the end of this month. His mom is as sad about it as I am. I
learned that they have annual passes to Disneyland like we do, so we are
going to Disneyland with them (sans his dad, who is away ATM) tomorrow
because they will be too busy with moving and the holidays later this month.
DH was so sad for DS, he almost didn't want to go. He thinks maybe we
shouldn't let DS get too close to him, but I think they are already very
close and we should just savor every moment. His mom wants us to bring DS
over for playdates and I would like her to bring him over. What do you
think? Keep some distance or go for it and do all the playdates now, while
we have the chance?

Old December 3rd 05, 06:39 PM posted to misc.kids

In article , toypup says...

[...]

Go for it. Life has no guarantees. Teach him now to love without reservation.
And about postcards and letters.

Cheers,
Banty

Old December 3rd 05, 06:44 PM posted to misc.kids

In article ,
"toypup" wrote:

[...]

Go for it, and nurture the friendship that is now.

Why on earth would you want to teach him to distance himself from people
just because they won't be there forever?

No one will be there forever.

You can't protect your children from the pain of living every day, and
that includes the pain of loss. You can only teach them to cope with
it, and to enjoy today -- today.

Live in the moment, and all that stuff.

Old December 3rd 05, 09:34 PM posted to misc.kids

Banty wrote:
In article , toypup says...

[...]

And cellphones and email and instant messaging with videocams :-)
Years ago it usually meant that was it!

Cheers,
Banty

Old December 4th 05, 02:20 PM posted to misc.kids

"toypup" wrote in message
DH and I had hopes that this would bring us closer so that
the boys could nurture their relationship, but I found out that they are
moving the end of this month. His mom is as sad about it as I am. I
learned that they have annual passes to Disneyland like we do, so we are
going to Disneyland with them (sans his dad, who is away ATM) tomorrow
because they will be too busy with moving and the holidays later this

month.
DH was so sad for DS, he almost didn't want to go. He thinks maybe we
shouldn't let DS get too close to him, but I think they are already very
close and we should just savor every moment. His mom wants us to bring DS
over for playdates and I would like her to bring him over. What do you
think?

I drive my kids for playdates all the time, so I don't see the big deal in
that. We have no kids on our street, so if they want to play with someone,
we have to drive.

I am not comfortable with the lesson that you are teaching to with-hold a
friendship because someone might be there all the time. Life is too short,
take each moment and friendship as if it were your last.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 4th 05, 05:28 PM posted to misc.kids

"Sue" wrote in message
"toypup" wrote in message
[...]

Well, driving from California to Florida for a playdate is not an option.

I am not comfortable with the lesson that you are teaching to with-hold a
friendship because someone might be there all the time. Life is too short,
take each moment and friendship as if it were your last.

We are not teaching the kids anything. I would like to foster the
friendship until they move. DH is too sad to do so, but he is willing to go
along with me. We have a playdate set for today.

Old December 4th 05, 07:41 PM posted to misc.kids

"toypup" wrote in message
Well, driving from California to Florida for a playdate is not an option.

Ah, I was hoping you wouldn't say that. That is sad then.

We are not teaching the kids anything. I would like to foster the
friendship until they move. DH is too sad to do so, but he is willing to

go
along with me. We have a playdate set for today.

I hope you have fun. You know, kis love getting mail. They can correspond to
each other for a while.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)