Toddler Sleep Problems

Old December 7th 05, 08:48 PM posted to misc.kids

Default Toddler Sleep Problems

I don't know if anyone else has experienced or is experiencing sleep
problems with their toddlers? My daughter is 2 years old and has never
slept good. She didn't start sleeping through the night until after
1...never slept much when she was an infant either. She still wakes up
in the night and no matter what time she goes to bed she still usually
wakes up early. She doesn' t like to sleep and fights it for a long
time each night. Her father has always had sleep problems since he was
an infant and still does...I think she inherited them. She seems to
just not need much sleep.

Lately she has been transfered to a big girl bed, and now wants either
mommy or daddy to lay with her until she falls asleep. If we don't she
will continuously climb out of bed and the entire process could take
anywhere from 1-2 hours, making the final time she goes to bed be like
10:30 or 11 even though we start at 9:00.

Her doctor doesn' t give much suggestions and I am worried that she has
inherited whatever sleep problem her dad has (no one could ever figure
out what his sleep problem was, and he never grew out of it and still
has sleep issues today), if anyone has any advice I would greatly
appreciate it! Also, some people have said about giving kids Benadryl
etc...I would never do that for sleep issues, but once she was sick and
her doctor said to give her that...it makes most kids tired but
actually had the opposite affect on her, making her wired for the whole
night!

It would be nice to know that other parents out there are facing the
same issues and what they do. Everyone I know with kids has never
experienced anything like this, which is discouraging! Thanks!

Old December 8th 05, 12:15 AM posted to misc.kids

Hi --

Our younger son used to have sleep issues. We solved them by making
sure he gets PLENTY of physical activity during the day and also
removing allergens (dairy protein and red dye, in his case) from his
diet.

Your mileage may vary ...
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old December 8th 05, 04:22 AM posted to misc.kids

Thanks, good advice. The funny thing about it is she does get a lot of
activity, and always has a lot of energy. It's like she builds it up
and then maybe 1 or 2 days every few months ends up sleeping really
good. She can have played all day outside and still not sleep well?
Just doesn't need a lot of sleep I guess, or inherited a sleep
problem. Anyways, thanks!

Old December 8th 05, 01:29 PM posted to misc.kids

"Sbird1016" wrote in message
It would be nice to know that other parents out there are facing the
same issues and what they do. Everyone I know with kids has never
experienced anything like this, which is discouraging! Thanks!

When my first daughter was that age, we also switched her to her own bed. It
took many nights of putting her back in her bed when she got up. I just made
sure I was consistent about it and she finally got the picture. The other
thing I did was that I bought a tape recorder and some books on tape and
songs and she was allowed to listen to that in her bed, but she had to stay
there. I also allowed her to play quietly in bed, but she had to stay in her
room. I also used a fan in the room for white noise.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 8th 05, 06:06 PM posted to misc.kids

My daughter (two on Saturday) has never been the best sleeper. She
didn't sleep through the night until about 13 months either, and now
she will still wake up in the middle of the night. We will be
switching her to a bed soon and I'm sure it will be difficult as she
hates to go to sleep.
I know that lots of people will disagree with this, but I would just
lay down with your DD until she falls asleep for now. When she gets
comfortable, then move from her bed to a chair, then the doorway and
then out the door. It might take a long time, but eventually it should
work.
Sarah

misc.kids FAQ on Breastfeeding Past the First Year [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 August 30th 05 05:25 AM
getting toddler to stay in bed and go to sleep!! Keith Mitchell Solutions 1 March 3rd 05 05:44 AM
misc.kids FAQ on Breastfeeding Past the First Year [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 June 28th 04 07:41 PM
baby sleep problems Sarah General 10 June 28th 04 01:56 AM
A dose of bull in the Sunday paper She's A Goddess Breastfeeding 22 January 16th 04 04:47 PM