possible pregnancy with copper IUD

Old October 13th 04, 05:15 PM
kylee omary

Default possible pregnancy with copper IUD

Hey everyone. I am curious if anyone on here has ever gotten pregnant while
using an IUD??

A little background... My son just turned 10 months old and I got the copper
IUD about 8 months ago. My husband had been out to sea till late august. AF
was not long after he returned home. 4-7 days, can't remember exactly, but
it was definitly late aug, early sept. Well here it is mid oct and no AF and
for the past 3 days I have been having horrible dizzy spells, and nausia. I
have already talked to my hubby about my suspisions and we have decided
while we hadn't decided yet if we wanted a third that we will be more than
happy if we are slated for another. I am going to try and see if I can get
in to the Dr today for a blood test and see what the deal is. My concern is
the possibility of an ectopic, and if it is viable, what are the chances
that I will be able to continue with the pregnancy?? Has anyone here been
through being pg with an iud and was able to carry to term? Is it really
possible for them to remove it without harming the baby??

TIA
Kylee

Old October 13th 04, 05:41 PM
Sophie

[...]

I have a friend who got pregnant with an IUD - turned out it wasn't in the
right place so she was never protected. Her pregnancy went just fine except
she often had blood in her urine during the pregnancy. Drs thought it was
bladder problems (perhaps even cancer), they never did get an answer. She
figured it was from the IUD. Who knows. She had a lot of ultrasounds to
keep tabs on the IUD, where it was in proximity to the baby. Apparently it
was never in any danger. Her miscarriage rate was very high if they decided
to remove the IUD, so they never did. Mom was fine, baby was fine.
Afterwards they were going to remove the IUD but then didn't as it was too
close to a major artery or something in her abdomen. She had another IUD put
in after that baby, and so far as been fine, and has not gotten pregnant
again - planned or unplanned.

Old October 13th 04, 08:43 PM
Amy

"Sophie" wrote in message

Afterwards they were going to remove the IUD but then didn't as it was too
close to a major artery or something in her abdomen. She had another IUD

put
in after that baby, and so far as been fine, and has not gotten pregnant
again - planned or unplanned.

So you mean to say she now has two IUD's in place, one in the correct place
and one just floating around somewhere? shudder

--
Amy,
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old October 13th 04, 09:19 PM
Daye

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:15:10 GMT, "kylee omary"
wrote:

Hey everyone. I am curious if anyone on here has ever gotten pregnant while
using an IUD??

Yes, I know an aunt of a friend who got pregnant with an IUD.

--
Daye
Old October 14th 04, 03:20 AM
Samantha C.

I am a IUD baby born October 26, 1976 .
My mom had it removed and obviously
she didn't miscarry .

Samantha,
Oklahoma

Old October 14th 04, 04:11 PM
Circe

Amy wrote:
"Sophie" wrote in message
Afterwards they were going to remove the IUD but then didn't as it
was too close to a major artery or something in her abdomen. She
had another IUD put in after that baby, and so far as been fine,
and has not gotten pregnant again - planned or unplanned.

So you mean to say she now has two IUD's in place, one in the
correct place and one just floating around somewhere? shudder

I'm sure the original IUD was expelled when she gave birth. There's no way
you could get a baby and a placenta out of the uterus without also getting
the IUD--which is tiny--out as well.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 5), and the Rising Son (Julian, 7)

This week's suggested Bush/Cheney campaign bumper sticker:
"Compassionate Colonialism"

Old October 14th 04, 09:49 PM
Sophie

"Circe" wrote in message
Amy wrote:
"Sophie" wrote in message
Afterwards they were going to remove the IUD but then didn't as it
was too close to a major artery or something in her abdomen. She
had another IUD put in after that baby, and so far as been fine,
and has not gotten pregnant again - planned or unplanned.

So you mean to say she now has two IUD's in place, one in the
correct place and one just floating around somewhere? shudder

I'm sure the original IUD was expelled when she gave birth. There's no way
you could get a baby and a placenta out of the uterus without also getting
the IUD--which is tiny--out as well.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 5), and the Rising Son (Julian, 7)

No it wasn't expelled, it wasn't in her uterus. It was pushed through when
the Dr put it in. It was in her abdomen the whole time. She has
interesting ultrasound photos of it. So yes, she now has 2 IUDs in her
body.

Old October 14th 04, 09:49 PM
Sophie

"Samantha C." wrote in message
I am a IUD baby born October 26, 1976 .
My mom had it removed and obviously
she didn't miscarry .

Samantha,
Oklahoma

--

Hey Oct 26 is my b-day too

Old October 14th 04, 09:59 PM
Amy

Amy wrote:
"Sophie" wrote in message
Afterwards they were going to remove the IUD but then didn't as it
was too close to a major artery or something in her abdomen. She
had another IUD put in after that baby, and so far as been fine,
and has not gotten pregnant again - planned or unplanned.

So you mean to say she now has two IUD's in place, one in the
correct place and one just floating around somewhere? shudder

I'm sure the original IUD was expelled when she gave birth. There's no way
you could get a baby and a placenta out of the uterus without also getting
the IUD--which is tiny--out as well.

It's just that she said "afterwards they were going to remove the IUD but
didn't", though I may have misunderstood. While I was in the hospital with
Ana, there was a girl whose baby was born the same day, and they couldn't
find the tape from the Prostin they'd used to induce her. She found it a day
or two later. Considering it was only in her vagina and not her uterus, how
it failed to come out with her waters breaking, the birth of her baby and
placenta, beats me.

Old October 15th 04, 12:39 AM
Circe

Sophie wrote:
"Circe" wrote in message
I'm sure the original IUD was expelled when she gave birth.
There's no way you could get a baby and a placenta out of the
uterus without also getting the IUD--which is tiny--out as well.

No it wasn't expelled, it wasn't in her uterus. It was pushed
through when the Dr put it in. It was in her abdomen the whole
time. She has interesting ultrasound photos of it. So yes, she
now has 2 IUDs in her body.

Ah, I see what you mean. I didn't read your original message closely enough.
I have heard of IUDs that were in the uterus but "dislodged" resulting in
pregnancy, which was what I thought you meant. But I see now that this was
not the case.

The idea of the IUD going all the way through into the abdomen at insertion
without anyone noticing strikes me as pretty odd, though. I mean, the first
thing you do after you put an IUD in is check to be sure the strings are at
the outlet of the cervix where they're meant to be. And "proper use" of an
IUD includes checking for the strings after each period, since an IUD is
most likely to come out without being noticed during menstruation. So the
fact that she didn't *know* her IUD wasn't in her uterus long seems
downright peculiar to me.
--
Be well, Barbara
Mom to Sin (Vernon, 2), Misery (Aurora, 5), and the Rising Son (Julian, 7)

"Bush didn't pee his pants or kill anyone, so my guess is that people will
say [the third debate] was a tie."--Jessi Klein
(http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...log/index.html)