Poll: Birth Control

Old December 18th 05, 11:30 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Poll: Birth Control

What sort of birth control are you other nursing moms on?

I'm on Ortho-Micronor but I don't like it. I don't get a period, and I
am just sure that I'm going to start showing any minute now because
I've gotten pregnant again and don't realize it. I tried on a skirt
yesterday that's a little tight (odd, because I'm smaller now than I
was pre-pregnancy) and I flipped out that I might be PG again! ACK!!!
I am SO not ready. (It's probably just the X-mas cookies, I've been so
bad).

My doc wouldn't give me a diaphragm - he said that he hadn't fitted
anyone for one in 4 years, and that "no one" uses them anymore! Birth
control is now, apparently, subject to peer pressure. He said I could
have the shot or the pill. Well, I fear the shot because I've had
menstrual migraines in the past, and the shot can cause migraines, and
I don't want to put something in my body that lasts for 3 months that
could give me migraines, with no way of getting rid of it! Yikes.
I've noticed that the sponge is back on the market, and between that
and nursing I'd probably be pretty well covered, but it would be
expensive (not covered by insurance). Is there a patch that's ok while
nursing? Friends of mine have had good success with the patch.

I find myself forgetting pills, because I'm more worried about the baby
than myself at bedtime. I want something easy, don't we all. WHEN ARE
THEY GOING TO COME OUT WITH A PATCH FOR MEN?!?!?!

Thanks!
Amy

Old December 18th 05, 11:47 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default Birth Control

"Amy" wrote in message
oups.com...

What sort of birth control are you other nursing moms on?

charting cervical mucus. it's worked for over a decade for me both for
conception & contraception.

I've gotten pregnant again and don't realize it. I tried on a skirt
yesterday that's a little tight (odd, because I'm smaller now than I
was pre-pregnancy) and I flipped out that I might be PG again! ACK!!!
I am SO not ready. (It's probably just the X-mas cookies, I've been so
bad).

i'm almost at pre-preg weight (3kg off) but alot of my clothes are nowhere
near fitting. i have a flat tummy but the bum & thighs seems to have
re-arranged their shape hence the clothes not fitting. i wouldn't start
panicking yet.

My doc wouldn't give me a diaphragm - he said that he hadn't fitted
anyone for one in 4 years, and that "no one" uses them anymore! Birth
control is now, apparently, subject to peer pressure. He said I could
have the shot or the pill.

that's pretty bad. i don't go for chemical contraception personally so if i
wanted something diaphragm or condom would be it. perhaps you need to look
at another doctor?

--
elizabeth (in australia)
DS1 20th august 2002

"In raising my children, I have lost my mind but found my soul."
--Lisa T. Shepherd

Old December 19th 05, 12:10 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Amy wrote:
What sort of birth control are you other nursing moms on?

I've got the Mirena IUD. I've had it for 4 years now and I'm really
happy with it. Nearly no period (used to have really heavy periods with
lots of pain), no pain. I love it.
I was scared at first because of the "no period" aspect (Yes, I took a
couple of pg tests because I was scared I might be). But I've gotten
used to it now and honestly, I haven't had a regular period in 6 years
(I had my period maybe twice or three times before getting the IUD
because I was bf'ing.)

I find myself forgetting pills, because I'm more worried about the baby
than myself at bedtime. I want something easy, don't we all. WHEN ARE
THEY GOING TO COME OUT WITH A PATCH FOR MEN?!?!?!

Yeah, I'd love for that to happen, too.

take care!
nicole
Old December 19th 05, 03:03 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Amy" wrote:

What sort of birth control are you other nursing moms on?

We use condoms.

If I got pregnant now it wouldn't be a Big Horrible Thing but I'd rather
space the kids every two years.

rj

Old December 19th 05, 03:07 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Amy wrote:
What sort of birth control are you other nursing moms on?

I'm on the minipill, and haven't gotten my period back yet. Going on
almost two years -- I LOVE it. But I hear you on the
panicking-am-I-pregnant thing -- I've tested once, and have a spare in
case I freak out again.

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Old December 19th 05, 04:32 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I'm using micronor, but I don't trust it because it's only %95 (I think)
compared to almost 100% for reg BCP's so we always use back up. I
understand that any other hormonal type will/can affect your milk supply.

I'm pretty sure though that switching your bc method won't bring back your
period, it's usually the breastfeeding that keeps it away, not the pills.
oups.com...

Old December 19th 05, 04:48 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Amy wrote:
What sort of birth control are you other nursing moms on?

We use condoms -- it took us 5 pregnancies and over 3 years to get our
daughter and I only have one tube left so it isn't exactly Russian
Roulette We'd like to have another baby (just not right now!),
another reason I'm not messing around with anything hormonal.

Did you ask your doctor about an IUD? I think that's what I'll get when
the time comes.

Elle

Old December 19th 05, 05:59 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Amy wrote:
What sort of birth control are you other nursing moms on?

Merena IUD. My husband is considering a vasectomy (and I'm pushing him
toward that) sometime in the next 6 months (because 6 months after
that, I have to have it removed.

I love it. Hardly any periods (just enough to reassure me, though), and
nothing to worry about.

Cathy Weeks

Old December 19th 05, 09:24 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"NL" wrote in message ...

Amy wrote:
What sort of birth control are you other nursing moms on?

Abstinance.. nothing suits me.. hubby is having the chop later this year.

Andrea mom of 6, latest baby Erin Elizabeth 7 weeks old.

Old December 19th 05, 09:34 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

In article .com,
"Amy" wrote:

What sort of birth control are you other nursing moms on?

Fatigue, backed up by condoms :-)

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.