birth control??

Old July 13th 06, 09:52 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
KR

Default birth control??

What type of birth control are all you breastfeeding moms using?

My daughter is 2 months old now, my doctor mentioned the options of the
mirena IUD or micronor (a mini pill). We aren't ready to make a
permanent decision right now and I really don't want another child at
this point. What is most effective? What is easier with less
problems??

We will probably know in about 2 years if we will have another child at
which point we will look at a surgical option for one of us.

Thanks,
KR

Old July 13th 06, 10:46 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Mum of Two

"KR" wrote in message
oups.com...
What type of birth control are all you breastfeeding moms using?

My daughter is 2 months old now, my doctor mentioned the options of the
mirena IUD or micronor (a mini pill). We aren't ready to make a
permanent decision right now and I really don't want another child at
this point. What is most effective? What is easier with less
problems??

We will probably know in about 2 years if we will have another child at
which point we will look at a surgical option for one of us.

I'm on the mini-pill and I like the fact that my periods are lighter and
less painful, and I can go off it at any time. You do have to remember to
take it at the same time each day, which I set my cellphone alarm for, and I
try to keep a strip of pills with me in my purse.

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,

Old July 13th 06, 11:24 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

..
Sarah wrote:
I was on one of the mini-pills briefly after Jamie was born and found it
to be a pain remembering it within the three-hour window. I set my watch
alarm, but it meant breaking off what I was doing to go and take it. I
found the IUCD much easier (I got the ordinary kind, not the Mirena).
Having it put in was unpleasant, but after that I just didn't need to
worry about it at all.

would it be helpful if Sarah explained why she went for the non hormonal
one?

if so, I'll explain why I went for the hormonal one, main reason was that
the non hormonal one is linked with heavier and more painful periods, the
mirena is not and when before pregnancy my periods had been quite bad I
wasn't prepared to risk making them worse. 2ndly, I also suffered quite
badly with premenstural syndrome for which a mirena would be a possible
treatment anyway, so it made sense to make that choice.

I actually didn't find the insertion that unpleasant, which is surprising as
I have very bad SPD, so even 5 months after delivery separating my legs was
bad bad bad, but I employed relaxation techniques from bradley birth and
sailed through it fine, doctor said I was her best ever patient! I did have
to write of the next few days, but I had planned for that and it was due to
the SPD not cramps, though I did get some, they were minimal.

I have similar reasons for not taking the mini pill, just couldn't do it
reliably,

I think one reason some people don't like the mirena is it can totally
supress mensturation, I've not yet had a period and it would be surprising
if it was still lactation ammenorheaa (sp) DD is 13 months and only feeds
twice a day.

You are supposed to get it checked once a year, but if you have yearly
smears it can be combined with that, if not then it is something extra to
remember!

Cheers

Anne

Old July 14th 06, 12:13 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Liz

"Sarah Vaughan" wrote in message
KR wrote:
[...]

If you want something really effective, the Mirena is more so than either
the ordinary IUCD or the mini-pill. But either of those two is reasonably
effective.

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell

I'm on the mini-pill, and don't have problems remembering to take it -- but
then that's what I was taking before I started trying to get pregnant
anyway.

Liz

Old July 14th 06, 12:38 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

KR wrote:
What type of birth control are all you breastfeeding moms using?

My daughter is 2 months old now, my doctor mentioned the options of the
mirena IUD or micronor (a mini pill). We aren't ready to make a
permanent decision right now and I really don't want another child at
this point. What is most effective? What is easier with less
problems??

If the IUD works for you, it's the easiest method in the world, and one
of the most effective. I have a non-hormonal one (Copper-T) and have
been one of the lucky ones who doesn't get more difficult periods at
all, just a tiny bit of extra spotting before the period starts (which
I actually like, as it functions as an early warning system). The first
*couple* of periods were longer and heavier, but not more painful, and
then things settled right down. I had gotten my period back unusually
early, only about 2 months postpartum, and got the IUD something like 6
months postpartum, don't remember any longer.

The mini-pill isn't that great due to the window of time when you have
to take it. I am a VERY disorganized person, even without a small
and/or sleepless baby as an excuse, and would have had a hard time with
the mini-pill.

--Helen

Old July 14th 06, 01:18 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
KD

KR wrote:
What type of birth control are all you breastfeeding moms using?

My daughter is 2 months old now, my doctor mentioned the options of the
mirena IUD or micronor (a mini pill). We aren't ready to make a
permanent decision right now and I really don't want another child at
this point. What is most effective? What is easier with less
problems??

We will probably know in about 2 years if we will have another child at
which point we will look at a surgical option for one of us.

Thanks,
KR

I'm taking micronor. I haven't had any problems with it thus far. I
take it when I'm giving DS his last feed of the day (always around the
same time) and I have only missed it once. As for periods, haven't had
one since DS was born! Yay! (well, unless you count all that yuckiness
that was around for the first six weeks post-partum).

I find that having a three month old child is pretty good birth control
for us, at least so far.

KD & G

Old July 14th 06, 01:26 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

KR wrote:
What type of birth control are all you breastfeeding moms using?

We just used condoms as we planned to try for another sooner rather
than later. We had some fertility issues the first time around so I
didn't want to use anything hormonal and couldn't be bothered getting
an IUD.

If I was going on birth control, I would choose an IUD. It is safe,
easy and effective.

Good luck with your decision,
Elle

Old July 14th 06, 06:01 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Caledonia

Anne Rogers wrote:
.
Sarah wrote:
I was on one of the mini-pills briefly after Jamie was born and found it
to be a pain remembering it within the three-hour window. I set my watch
alarm, but it meant breaking off what I was doing to go and take it. I
found the IUCD much easier (I got the ordinary kind, not the Mirena).
Having it put in was unpleasant, but after that I just didn't need to
worry about it at all.

would it be helpful if Sarah explained why she went for the non hormonal
one?

For me, I went with the non-hormonal IUD b/c of a family history of
stroke, and anything hormonal --even topical -- seemed like a Bad Idea
for my risk profile.

My periods are somewhat heavier and a lot shorter, the insertion wasn't
bad, and I admit to a luddite-like concern regarding increasing the
amount of non-naturally produced hormones circulating in my body.
(Heck, if I'm making this a buying decision for chicken, how can I
reconcile having something implanted in me?)

I highly recommend the Copper-T; I've had it for 3+ years, no problems
(and no thinking).

Caledonia

Old July 14th 06, 07:20 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Jess

"KR" wrote in message
oups.com...
What is most effective? What is easier with less
problems??

Mirena. Ten minutes for the insertion, ibuprofen for a couple of days and
you get the strings trimmed if you need to. Easy.

Jess

Old July 14th 06, 07:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
CY

I concur.

I used Micronor for about 9 months and I really hated it. I was spotting
ALL the time and I just could not remember to take it when I was supposed
to. Then I switched to a diaphragm, which was fine when I only had one
child but with two kids, the window of "opportunity" seems smaller and we
just couldn't get it together fast enough!!!

So then we switched to the Mirena. I was kinda worried about the insertion
aspect of the IUD, but once I heard everyone here talking about how they
liked it, I decided to do it. It was majorly painful for me to have it
inserted, but I apparently have a very long cervix, so I assumed that was
what caused it. If I do it again I will take pain medication before instead
of after the insertion. I cramped for about 2 days after, but all of that
was a small price to pay for the incredible convenience factor. I am 13
months pp and haven't had a period, only a couple of days of spotting once.
It's great!

Good luck!

CY
"Jess" wrote in message