water on the brain

Old December 31st 03, 01:46 AM
Ronni

Default water on the brain

Hi everyone.
Can anyone who has been in this followng situation, or had a scare with it
please give me some details....
My 7month old baby girl was at the doctor yesterday. Her height was in the
90th percentile for her age, her weight in the 50th percentil and her head
circumfrence in the 95th percentile. Doc told me that she was born wiht a
below average head circumfrence and 2 month ago her head was right where it
shouldve been at the time. Now her head circumfrence has shot up to the 95th
percentile. I NEVER thought her head looked big, she is so beautiful and I
wouldve thought perfect size for her head circumfrence. Anyway, I have to
take her back in a month to get her head measured again, if it gets any
larger till then he wants to do a CT scan because it would suggest water on
the brain. I asked him what that meant and he told me not to speculate yet
because she could straighten out and have no circumfrence change for a
while. Well, if you dont want me to speculate and worry and wonder than dont
tellme that kind of stuff. Anyway all I can find on this is that water on
the brain could indicate spina bifida or a tumor. She doesnt have spina
bifida according to the amniocentesis I had done when I was pregnant wiht
her. Anyone have a situation like this that can tell me what to expect, if I
should worry, if I shouldnt worry?

Thanks...Ronni

Old December 31st 03, 02:57 PM
Brandy Kurtz

"Ronni" wrote in message ...
[...]

Hi Ronnie. I know easier said that done, but just take it easy. babies
grow at odd rates soemtimes.

Brandy
Old December 31st 03, 03:21 PM
Ronni

"Brandy Kurtz" wrote in message
om...
"Ronni" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Brandy
Thanks. I don't understand why the doc would even tell me such things before
doing tests or even scheduling them. I hope it is just that she is growing
at an odd rate....she ahs gotten so big!! ;-)

Ronni

Old December 31st 03, 10:49 PM
CBI

"Ronni" wrote in message
Well, if you dont want me to speculate and worry and wonder than dont
tellme that kind of stuff. Anyway all I can find on this is that water on
the brain could indicate spina bifida or a tumor. She doesnt have spina
bifida according to the amniocentesis I had done when I was pregnant wiht
her. Anyone have a situation like this that can tell me what to expect, if

should worry, if I shouldnt worry?

It probably is normal. The first "test" should be to measure the heads of
mom and dad. If they are large that is a good clue that the kid is just not
falling far from the tree. Taking a bunch of measurements before getting too
excited is a good way to start.

The medical term you are looking for is hydrocephalus. Usually it is caused
by the spinal fluid not draining right and accumulating. This can be from a
number of reasons.

http://www.hydroassoc.org/
http://www.hydrocephalus.org/
http://www.patientcenters.com/hydrocephalus/

[...]