need help with Florida guidance

Old August 13th 03, 10:48 PM
bleed-22

Default need help with Florida guidance

Long story short:

a) Wife and I separated. No formal agreement was made for child
support.

b) I was unemployed during this time period (10 months).

c) I became employed and started paying her according to the Florida
child support guidelines form.

d) She says I owe the amount I am currently paying per month for each
of the 10 months I was unemployed. For a total over of 7,500
dollars... Can this possible be true?

I am looking for forms or some sort of guidance as to what the rules
are in Florida for this kind of situation.

Old August 14th 03, 02:38 AM
Joy B

Unfortunately, it can be true. It really depends on the total
situation. If there was no formal seperation on paper you may be able
to work it to your advantage. Sometimes, if she's not too angry, you
could strike some deal with her. If you two file separate tax returns
now you could offer to let her take one of your turns with the
claiming of the child on the return in exchange for dropping the
arrears. If she makes less than 25 K that could actually be a good
chunk of money for her. If you do this be sure to get it in writing.
Also, if you were unemployed and collecting unemployment at the time,
the CS would be only a percentage of the guidelines as that is what
your income was at the time. Be careful paying her money outside the
courts as this could be considered a gift. You would do yourself a
great justice by consulting an attorney. Call around, alot of them
give free consultations so you can see if it would be worth it to you
to retain one. You also might want to try looking at this website:
http://www.myfloridacounty.com/ On the first page click on the Pay
Child Support & View Payment History link and then go to the bottom of
that page to a link that says: Questions about your child support
case? It might help but I don't know.
Joy

Old August 15th 03, 12:39 PM
Chris Owens

bleed-22 wrote:

Long story short:

a) Wife and I separated. No formal agreement was made for child
support.

b) I was unemployed during this time period (10 months).

c) I became employed and started paying her according to the Florida
child support guidelines form.

d) She says I owe the amount I am currently paying per month for each
of the 10 months I was unemployed. For a total over of 7,500
dollars... Can this possible be true?

I am looking for forms or some sort of guidance as to what the rules
are in Florida for this kind of situation.

You need a lawyer, now. You also need a formal, court-approved
agreement for support. It's a Really Bad Idea to make payments
directly in a situation like this without court approval;
frequently they all get disregarded in the formal process.

Chris Owens