Plans

Old June 6th 05, 06:44 PM
Scott

Default Plans

I always like to hear about others' plans for their
kids for the summer. DD and DS again will be doing
swim team, and this year DD will also be doing dive
team, which means she'll be at the pool a *lot* this
summer. DS is taking tennis lessons as well. And
DD will continue her Irish Dance Lessons and
competitions. The BH is considering getting DD some
private lessons for that as well. Just a short trip
in August, I think, for a vacation, before school
starts again. School ends this Friday, and I expect
by *next* Friday someone will utter those famous
summer words: "I'm bored!" We are firm believers
in underscheduling in the summer.

Hard to believe 4th of July is in 4 weeks!

Scott DD (11.93) and DS 9

Old June 6th 05, 07:31 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi --

Our 9-year old is going to five weeks of camp, all the sort that
supplement what the public schools don't give enough of during the
academic year (art, sports, science, and creative writing. All the
child's choices.)

Our 7-year old will have only 4 weeks of camp, also ones that he chose
(art, sports, tae kwon do, free playing) and one week with no camp, to
spend 1 on 1 time with mama.

We spend the remaining 4 1/2 weeks with grandparents, unscheduled, with
plenty of time to get bored. The 7-year old may do one week of 1/2 day
baseball camp in a bid to meet kids in the neighborhood and also to let
his brother have the 1 on 1 time with mama.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to cut back on the school year
schedule. It's not the afterschool activities that are in the way, but
the homework following on a long school day.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Old June 6th 05, 11:03 PM
animzmirot

DS will be attending two sessions of "camp" at Yale University. He'll be
gone for 6 weeks, where he's taking a really cool variety of courses from
Forensics, Infectious Diseases, and Sailing, to Designing his Dream Home,
Poetry, Sports Writing, and Soccer. The other weeks he'll be sleeping,
playing Xbox, fighting with his sister, emptying the garbage, and eating me
out of house and home. He is also our official bug killer and will be on the
hunt for any flies and moths that dare cross our threshold, a job he takes
very seriously.

DD is going to a month of overnight camp with a gaggle of her school
friends, and then will be a Jr CIT for a month at the Boys and Girls Club
where she will help lead day trips to every amusement park in our area. She
also plans to sleep, dance, listen to bad music, fight with her brother,
marginally do the dishes, eat more candy than you could possibly believe,
talk on the phone nonstop, and hopefully help me weed the gardens.

I plan to sleep, sleep, sleep, and do as little as possible. I just love
summer.

Marjorie

Old June 7th 05, 02:37 PM
Nikki

Hunter is playing pee wee baseball, doing 4 weeks of 1/2 day summer school,
and participating in a 2 week SafetyTown class for 4-6yo given by the local
police department. Luke is doing the SafetyTown class too.

We plan to spend plenty of time at the beach, pool, and camping. Dh takes
them fishing a couple times a month.

Their list probably includes begging cookies from the neighbor, staying
outside till dark, and a fair amount of bickering. ;-)
--
Nikki

Old June 7th 05, 05:11 PM
Rosalie B.

Scott wrote:

I always like to hear about others' plans for their
kids for the summer. DD and DS again will be doing
swim team, and this year DD will also be doing dive
team, which means she'll be at the pool a *lot* this
summer. DS is taking tennis lessons as well. And
DD will continue her Irish Dance Lessons and
competitions. The BH is considering getting DD some
private lessons for that as well. Just a short trip
in August, I think, for a vacation, before school
starts again. School ends this Friday, and I expect
by *next* Friday someone will utter those famous
summer words: "I'm bored!" We are firm believers
in underscheduling in the summer.

Hard to believe 4th of July is in 4 weeks!

Scott DD (11.93) and DS 9

My children make their own plans now -

DS is having two weeks of his vacation starting yesterday (June 6th)
and he and DIL and two children go to his inlaws until Tuesday the
14th and then he's coming down via his nephew's place in Frostberg to
his sister's house (DD#1) in Ellicott City and visiting his
grandmother, and then will be here on the 15th, and leaving his new
kitten with us while they go to Kings Dominion and then will drive
home on the 17th. I don't know what his kids are doing for the
summer.

DD#1 went to CT (where her dd lives now) last weekend to see Wales vs
US rugby game and visit. I know she's going to Williamsburg in July
and then her youngest is going to scout camp. (Her oldest is the one
in Frostburg)

DD#2 has planned to come up from Miami with her son to play in various
baseball tournaments, including some at Cal Ripkin's place and is
visiting DC over the 4th. My mom is going up to Harford Co while the
team is up there, and I assume they'll be here at some point too.

DD#3 is coming from TX with her family and the dog for a week the 2nd
week in July after stopping off at her BILs house in Roanoke area..
Her in-laws only live about 20 miles from us so she can combine the
visits

..

grandma Rosalie

Old June 9th 05, 11:16 AM
Marion Baumgarten

My son (13) - first for two weeks at Purdue University and then a week at
Aviation Camp at Oshkosh, WI. It's the longest any of my kids have ever been
away from me- so we'll see how I adjust.
Then for the rest of the summer, he's going to be volunteering about 8 hours
a week in the IT Department where I work.

My daughter (16) is going on a ten day trip to Taize France with her church
youth group. She was supposed to get a summer job- but today was the last
day of school and one hasn't materialized. She toldme today that because so
many of her friends are lifguards at the local country club (of which we are
not members) that she can get in for free to swim anytime she wants.

Marion Betor

Old June 11th 05, 02:10 AM
Lesley

Scott wrote:

I always like to hear about others' plans for their
kids for the summer. DD and DS again will be doing
swim team, and this year DD will also be doing dive
team, which means she'll be at the pool a *lot* this
summer. DS is taking tennis lessons as well. And
DD will continue her Irish Dance Lessons and
competitions. The BH is considering getting DD some
private lessons for that as well. Just a short trip
in August, I think, for a vacation, before school
starts again. School ends this Friday, and I expect
by *next* Friday someone will utter those famous
summer words: "I'm bored!" We are firm believers
in underscheduling in the summer.

Hard to believe 4th of July is in 4 weeks!

Scott DD (11.93) and DS 9

We've been out since 5/25. Younger DD is on swim team, which until
mid-July practices five evenings a week. Older DD will take violin
lessons, with sporadic practicing. :-) Both will do a handbell camp at
church in mid-July. We have a week long beach trip, plus some week-end
trips planned.

Our summer is a full 3 months this year thanks to a quirk in scheduling
because of a state tourism protection act which legislates when schools
may start and end the year. I firmly believe in underscheduling too,
but with the extra long summer we may look for extra activities this year.

Lesley