When NO is funny.

Old July 8th 03, 09:09 PM
blacksalt

Default When NO is funny.

Almost one year old baby gets the giggles over "no" even if said
sternly, even if removed from the object. I cringe at seeing people swat
babies hands.
Ignoring doesn't work either...he just happily keeps at it, but he seems
to take No as an extra special treat. In truth, he laughs over many
things, so his response seems normal for his personality, and it ain't
that he's being neglected and looking for attention.
What would you do?
blacksalt
Old July 8th 03, 10:45 PM
just me

"blacksalt" wrote in message
Almost one year old baby gets the giggles over "no" even if said
sternly, even if removed from the object. I cringe at seeing people swat
babies hands.
Ignoring doesn't work either...he just happily keeps at it, but he seems
to take No as an extra special treat. In truth, he laughs over many
things, so his response seems normal for his personality, and it ain't
that he's being neglected and looking for attention.
What would you do?

Baby proof, distract from the "no" items, and make as much of the
environment a "yes" as possible. Children this age may be able to
differentiate the word "no" from other sounds, but they are not usually able
to respond appropriately to the command. That will come later in the next
year of life. In the mean time, say no as you remove the baby from the
problem activity/item or redirect baby's attention, but don't make a huge
deal out of it. In another year or so baby will be saying it back to you!

-Aula

---

Old July 8th 03, 11:49 PM
toto

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 13:09:32 -0700, blacksalt
wrote:

Almost one year old baby gets the giggles over "no" even if said
sternly, even if removed from the object. I cringe at seeing people swat
babies hands.
Ignoring doesn't work either...he just happily keeps at it, but he seems
to take No as an extra special treat. In truth, he laughs over many
things, so his response seems normal for his personality, and it ain't
that he's being neglected and looking for attention.
What would you do?
blacksalt

Stop saying no. Tell him what he can do instead of what he cannot
do. Distract him from things you don't want him to do with something
that is more interesting. If you do say *no* make it for things
involving safety. Say it ONCE, then act to pick him up and move him
out of danger and supervise him closely enough that he cannot go
back to the dangerous activity.

I am a big believer in saving the words no and stop for situations
where they are really important. Otherwise, I would allow the child
to explore and to learn what happens from the natural consequences
of his actions.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits
Old July 9th 03, 03:55 AM
Cheryl M. \(ChatBrat\)

"blacksalt" wrote in message
Almost one year old baby gets the giggles over "no" even if said
sternly, even if removed from the object. I cringe at seeing people swat
babies hands.
Ignoring doesn't work either...he just happily keeps at it, but he seems
to take No as an extra special treat. In truth, he laughs over many
things, so his response seems normal for his personality, and it ain't
that he's being neglected and looking for attention.
What would you do?
blacksalt

Don't say NO. We say "not for insert baby's name and remove the object.
If it's a hitting thing we say "STOP, that hurts insert object or person's
name...".

Also, make most environments positive ones by ensuring there are less "NO"
objects available. It works amazingly well and makes for more stress free
days for everyone involved.

theother Cheryl

Old July 9th 03, 04:05 AM
R. Steve Walz

blacksalt wrote:

Almost one year old baby gets the giggles over "no" even if said
sternly, even if removed from the object. I cringe at seeing people swat
babies hands.
Ignoring doesn't work either...he just happily keeps at it, but he seems
to take No as an extra special treat. In truth, he laughs over many
things, so his response seems normal for his personality, and it ain't
that he's being neglected and looking for attention.
What would you do?
blacksalt

-------------------------
Nothing. Just prevent danger, that's your job, not intimidate your
child.
Steve
Old July 9th 03, 02:46 PM
Astromum

snap
What would you do?
blacksalt

Saying no is strictly reserved for potentially harmful behaviour.
First time I say 'no' in a clear voice, so he knows it is not just
another word, and I try to distract him with something else. Second
time I say 'no' sternly and take him away from the object. Third
time I have to say 'no', I take the object out of the room. It has
worked fine so far. I always tell him he is doing good when he takes
up another toy or moves away from the 'forbidden' object, and often
I go an play with him a little as a reward (and keep him distracted).

And yes, you will have to keep an eye 24/7 and your furniture will
be damaged, as will be other things. Food will end up on floor, wall
and ceiling, and in places you never though existed. But as long as
his behaviour doesn't pose a threat to him, we just ignore it and so
far it has passed when he was satisfied with the discovery of wood
and the force of gravity.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Old July 9th 03, 06:51 PM
jojo

same situation here, but the problem is biting.
When he bites, we grasp his shoulders firmly, look him directly
in the eyes and say, "NO, we do not bite"
then set him down and ignore him, giving attention to the person
he bit.
Sometimes he gets it, and sometimes it very funny. He is ten months old.

Old July 9th 03, 10:53 PM
toto

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 17:51:56 GMT, "jojo"
wrote:

same situation here, but the problem is biting.
When he bites, we grasp his shoulders firmly, look him directly
in the eyes and say, "NO, we do not bite"
then set him down and ignore him, giving attention to the person
he bit.
Sometimes he gets it, and sometimes it very funny. He is ten months old.

At 10 months, I would suggest that he may also be teething.

So, instead of just saying no, say *we bite apples* or *we bite
teething rings* and give him one he can bite.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits