FOLLOWUP: SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY SHERIFF/PIZZA BOXES

Old May 23rd 07, 02:24 PM posted to alt.child-support
[email protected]

Default FOLLOWUP: SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY SHERIFF/PIZZA BOXES

On May 23, 9:11 am, John Meyer wrote:
By the way, as a follow up, I have received an e-mail from the vice
president of communications stating that they know of the action, that
they do not support it, and that they will try to convince the owner to
stop (the owner is an individual franchise). I'll post more later on.

Good one, John.

Here's Steven Baskerville's editorial in today's Fredericksburg.com -
the newspaper site serving Spotsylvania County:

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...inter_friendly

I hope to have a copy of one of the flyers appearing on these pizza
boxes today.

Old May 23rd 07, 02:35 PM posted to alt.child-support
John Meyer[_2_]

wrote:
On May 23, 9:11 am, John Meyer wrote:
By the way, as a follow up, I have received an e-mail from the vice
president of communications stating that they know of the action, that
they do not support it, and that they will try to convince the owner to
stop (the owner is an individual franchise). I'll post more later on.

Good one, John.

Here's Steven Baskerville's editorial in today's Fredericksburg.com -
the newspaper site serving Spotsylvania County:

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...inter_friendly

Here is the text of that letter (I decided to inline it rather than
forward the thing). While most of us would only e-mail him to thank
him, there are far too many spam bots in the world for my taste:

Mr. Meyer,

Your e-mail message was forwarded to me, as I was the one who responded
on behalf of Domino's Pizza when we learned Michigan Attorney General
Michael Cox was using our gift certificates in such a manner.

We agree with you, 100%. I learned just yesterday, via the same news
source as you, that this "deadbeat dad" hunt was going on. Here's what
I've learned so far. This is an isolated situation and is the act of a
single, independent franchise owner in Fredricksburg, Virginia. (There
are three in that community, and I'm working with our local rep to see
which of them is actually participating in this.) I am going to contact
them today and share my concern that while something like this, on the
surface, looks like "community support," it is, in fact, the opposite.
It is not our intention to ever support anything that can be so
devisive. I am going to share the text of your e-mail to support my point.

While at this point I cannot guarantee that the local shop owner will
stop, it is my intention to convince him/her to do so.

Regards,

Tim McIntyre
Vice President, Communications
Domino's Pizza, LLC
Old May 25th 07, 01:34 AM posted to alt.child-support
[email protected]

I just got one of the "wanted" flyers today...I can only say that I
hope the Sheriff of Spotsylvania County conducts law enforcement
better than his spelling and grammatical errors would indicate.

Old May 25th 07, 11:37 AM posted to alt.child-support
[email protected]

On May 24, 10:19 pm, John Meyer wrote:
wrote:
I just got one of the "wanted" flyers today...I can only say that I
hope the Sheriff of Spotsylvania County conducts law enforcement
better than his spelling and grammatical errors would indicate.

To be fair, isn't it a Crime Stoppers group that is publishing these
things through the local school? And if so, maybe they ought to
investigate the quality of education they are supporting there.

I don't know, John. How'd you find that out? :-)

Old May 25th 07, 01:36 PM posted to alt.child-support
John Meyer[_2_]

wrote:
I just got one of the "wanted" flyers today...I can only say that I
hope the Sheriff of Spotsylvania County conducts law enforcement
better than his spelling and grammatical errors would indicate.

To be fair, isn't it a Crime Stoppers group that is publishing these
things through the local school? And if so, maybe they ought to
investigate the quality of education they are supporting there.

I don't know, John. How'd you find that out? :-)

Ah, here we go:
http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=600&sid=1137947

To quote:
"Spotsylvania Crime Solvers, which is funded through donations, is
paying for the program. The main expense is printing the fliers, which
is being done through Spotsylvania's school Career and Technical Center."

So you have a private volunteer group funding these printouts. Gee, you
think that maybe a boycott here is in order as well? If they think of
father's as criminals, why would I support them.
Old May 25th 07, 06:47 PM posted to alt.child-support
Bob Whiteside

wrote:
[...]

Some other good questions to ask is how does the flier content get to the
private group? Are privacy laws being broken when this information makes
the transition from government records to the private groups? How is the
flier content verified?

Old May 25th 07, 10:01 PM posted to alt.child-support
John Meyer[_2_]

Bob Whiteside wrote:
Some other good questions to ask is how does the flier content get to the
private group? Are privacy laws being broken when this information makes
the transition from government records to the private groups? How is the
flier content verified?

I see where you are going with this, and in as much as I'd love to
agree, but unless those court orders are under some sort of seal, they
are public records. Ergo, you can't sue for invasion of privacy.
Now, where I think you _might_ have a case for defamation is if they
keep those posters up even when the people have settled. Suppose, for
instance, a father comes up with the money to pay this child support and
both the DA and him agree on a plan to avoid future arrears. The matter
is settled.
Now, if that poster is up online, and if the group posting it continues
to do so even when they have been notified that it is no longer the
case, I think you may have some argument. The precise term I don't
remember, but I think I learned once that if you keep reporting
something that has changed, or you resurrect old claims, there is an
actionable claim.
And as we all know, once something is on the Internet, it remains on the
Internet (either through Caches or some other means).
Old May 26th 07, 03:07 AM posted to alt.child-support
Bob Whiteside

"John Meyer" wrote in message
. ..
Bob Whiteside wrote:
Some other good questions to ask is how does the flier content get to

the
private group? Are privacy laws being broken when this information

makes
the transition from government records to the private groups? How is

the
flier content verified?

I see where you are going with this, and in as much as I'd love to
agree, but unless those court orders are under some sort of seal, they
are public records.

Court orders are public records. Case balances are not public information
and cannot be disclosed in my state.

See
http://www.dcs.state.or.us/oregon_ad...les/055_1140.p
df Paragraphs 11,12, and 13 cover this issue.

Whenever someone other than a party calls for case information they must
know the SSAN or case number, and be married to or living with the party.
The obligor can provide a written release to disclose case records. Even
the child for whom CS is paid cannot get case information and balances.

My point is Virginia probably has its own confidentiality and privacy rules
regarding CS administration. And my guess is this pizza box flier program
violates states law.

FOLLOWUP: SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY SHERIFF/PIZZA BOXES [email protected] Child Support 0 May 23rd 07 02:24 PM
FOLLOWUP: SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY SHERIFF/PIZZA BOXES [email protected] Child Support 12 May 23rd 07 02:11 PM
deadbeat MOMs on Pizza Boxes? whatamess Child Support 3 April 5th 07 07:43 PM
pizza?? Chris[_3_] Child Support 5 March 28th 07 03:36 AM
Best pizza in Portland Oregon Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 15 January 26th 05 02:31 PM