Will Daycare be beneficial for our 7 month old?

Old December 7th 07, 05:29 PM posted to misc.kids
Paul[_2_]

Default Will Daycare be beneficial for our 7 month old?

Our 7 month old son is our first, and is an only child. We have a good
friend that lives with us who acts the part of the nanny while we both
work.

Starting January we are putting our child into daycare because we feel
it will be good for him to be with other kids, good to build up his
social skills, good to see what other kids do so he can develop better
than just being at home playing with our friend who is older (50) and
does her best.

I remember it was a system shock for me to be at home until i Was 6
years old and then thrust into kindergarten - i cried and everything.

I saw some of the kids there at the daycare facility today and they
seemed fine without their parents, they were playing and and all that.

The infant room has a teacher for 4 kids (required state ratio) who
can tend to their needs, lets them play with all kinds of toys, has a
mirror, sing songs, read books, and even go for walks weather
permitting.

Do you think it will be a positive benefit for our only child to go to
daycare as far as his development is concerned, being around other
babies/children, and getting him ready for preshcool & kindergarten?

I can't see how it would hurt... from what I hear now is a good time
for him to go too, since at 1 year old he might have a hearder
time....

That's the only reason we're putting him in Daycare (3 times a week
only for now) to help with his development and for the supposed
benefits of being around other children ..

Thanks
Old December 7th 07, 05:51 PM posted to misc.kids
Ericka Kammerer

Paul wrote:
Our 7 month old son is our first, and is an only child. We have a good
friend that lives with us who acts the part of the nanny while we both
work.

Starting January we are putting our child into daycare because we feel
it will be good for him to be with other kids, good to build up his
social skills, good to see what other kids do so he can develop better
than just being at home playing with our friend who is older (50) and
does her best.

I don't think that any of the above matter even the
tiniest little bit at 7 months, unless your friend is unable
to keep up with the demands of keeping an older infant safe
and entertained.

I remember it was a system shock for me to be at home until i Was 6
years old and then thrust into kindergarten - i cried and everything.

There's a loooooooong time (chronologically and developmentally)
between 7 months and 6 years.

I saw some of the kids there at the daycare facility today and they
seemed fine without their parents, they were playing and and all that.

And some of them will have adjusted easily, and some will
have struggled to get to that point.

The infant room has a teacher for 4 kids (required state ratio) who
can tend to their needs, lets them play with all kinds of toys, has a
mirror, sing songs, read books, and even go for walks weather
permitting.

Do you think it will be a positive benefit for our only child to go to
daycare as far as his development is concerned, being around other
babies/children, and getting him ready for preshcool & kindergarten?

I think it's completely and totally unnecessary, and at
that age I would want only the very, very best quality daycare
if there was to be any daycare. Infants still need a lot of
hands on care and personal interaction.
I do think that it is better for *most* (not all, but most)
kids these days not to go off to kindergarten without any experience
outside the home (however that is arranged). Kids without any
experience will get the hang of it, but by and large it's a rougher
transition and teachers and the other kids don't always handle it
very well because so few kindergarteners arrive without any
experience anymore. For my kids, I started preschool at 2 years
old (2 half days/week, ramping up through 4 half days/week by 4 years
old). That has certainly provided more than enough preparation
for kindergarten and lots of social opportunities. In saying that,
I'm not suggesting that this is what you should do. I'm just making
the argument that it completely isn't *necessary* to send a 7 month
old to daycare in order to get him ready for kindergarten five
years down the road. You can wait a lot longer and do a lot less
than full time care and still achieve that goal.

I can't see how it would hurt... from what I hear now is a good time
for him to go too, since at 1 year old he might have a hearder
time....

Well, if you have other reasons for putting him into daycare
at 1 year old, you might well have an easier time now than then.
On the other hand, he could be fine now, get used to daycare, and
still have a very rough time at a year old or so when going through
a rough patch of separation anxiety. Sometimes they do that even
with a familiar situation.
You do potentially have something to lose. Infants do
best with close to one-to-one care, and you're diluting that.
Is that the end of the earth? Absolutely not. If you have other
reasons for choosing daycare at this point, then by all means
do it and just make sure you've got good quality daycare. If
you're doing this *solely* because you think it will benefit him
developmentally, I'd wait a while yet.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old December 7th 07, 05:57 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Paul wrote in

oups.com:

That's the only reason we're putting him in Daycare (3
times a week only for now) to help with his development and
for the supposed benefits of being around other children ..

at 7 months? nope, putting him in daycare for
'socialazation/developmental' purposes is pretty much a waste
of money. 7 month olds don't care about other kids & he'll get
more out of the one on one interaction with your friend than
he will being in a group setting with one person trying to
cover care for 4 babies.
if you want to start him in preschool around age 3-5, that's
one thing, but starting him at daycare now *will not* make
going to preschool any easier later because it will be a whole
new experience, new teachers, new kids, etc.
lee
Old December 7th 07, 07:15 PM posted to misc.kids
Penny Gaines[_2_]

Paul wrote:
Our 7 month old son is our first, and is an only child. We have a good
friend that lives with us who acts the part of the nanny while we both
work.

Starting January we are putting our child into daycare because we feel
it will be good for him to be with other kids, good to build up his
social skills, good to see what other kids do so he can develop better
than just being at home playing with our friend who is older (50) and
does her best.

First of all, 50yo is not *that* old - it might seem it when you are
in your twenties, but she is certainly young enough to provide an
enriching enviroment for a baby. If she was 70yo, it might be different.

I remember it was a system shock for me to be at home until i Was 6
years old and then thrust into kindergarten - i cried and everything.

I saw some of the kids there at the daycare facility today and they
seemed fine without their parents, they were playing and and all that.

The infant room has a teacher for 4 kids (required state ratio) who
can tend to their needs, lets them play with all kinds of toys, has a
mirror, sing songs, read books, and even go for walks weather
permitting.

Do you think it will be a positive benefit for our only child to go to
daycare as far as his development is concerned, being around other
babies/children, and getting him ready for preshcool & kindergarten?

I think babies benefit from being around toddlers and older children,
but I don't think they benefit from being around babies. Babies like to
see other children running round doing stuff: another baby would do
nothing interesting for you baby. Also older children (2yo upwards, but
4yo up is better) can interact with babies, and play properly with them.

A better option would be for your caregiver to take him to places where
there are other children like playgroups and parks.

I can't see how it would hurt... from what I hear now is a good time
for him to go too, since at 1 year old he might have a hearder
time....

That's the only reason we're putting him in Daycare (3 times a week
only for now) to help with his development and for the supposed
benefits of being around other children ..

It might be beneficial to put your baby in this facility *if* your
friend wants a break during the day. Babies can be hard to care for.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old December 7th 07, 08:00 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

I can't see any benefit to it for an 2 yr old as far as socialization goes.
At that age, they're really not social yet, and they do require a lot of
attention. By about 2-2 1/2, when they start being interested in other
children, then having some regular time with a consistent group of children
to play with and near in an unstructured manner seems to help (although some
still want mommy there at this age), and by 3 or so, a lot of times the kids
are really ready for mommy to give them some time away from her.

Having said that, there are good infant care settings. My DD started in a
group care setting, one morning a week, at 8 months. This was a program run
by a church which mostly served moms who were taking a class at the college.
And, in general, the infant room had one degreed "teacher", and a whole
bunch of grandmas who just loved to hold, rock, and play with babies. It was
a good setting for DD, and fit my needs. SHe stayed in a similar program
until this year, when, at 2 3/4, she started a 2 day a week preschool
program, which is a little more structured and still play based. She loves
going and playing with her friends. We'll probably move to more days next
fall, since she seems to enjoy it, and, since we don't have many young
children in our immediate neighborhood or church, she doesn't really have a
consistent playgroup outside of preschool.

One thing to consider with infants. 4-1 may sound like a low ratio, but
really, that's barely scraping by. 4 infants is a LOT to care for, and
usually it means that who ever is noisiest or needs changing is the one who
gets attention, which means that there's not a lot of 1-1 play or
interaction with contented children. My DD's preschool class has 10
children to two adults (largely because toileting still requires a lot of
supervision and assistance with this age group, especially at the beginning
of the year).

Old December 7th 07, 08:34 PM posted to misc.kids
jenny

On Dec 7, 8:29 am, Paul wrote:
[...]

Hi there,

I think that would be a great idea, I work at a family day care center
and I noticed kids learn a lot from other kids and it does build up
their social skills, especially kids who are not around ather children
at home. good luck

Jenny
Get advice from other moms at www.mommiesville.com
Old December 7th 07, 09:02 PM posted to misc.kids
Penny Gaines[_2_]

jenny wrote:
On Dec 7, 8:29 am, Paul wrote:

[snip]
I think that would be a great idea, I work at a family day care center
and I noticed kids learn a lot from other kids and it does build up
their social skills, especially kids who are not around ather children
at home. good luck

But a family daycare setting isn't the same as the daycare the OP is
thinking about (unless I've completely misunderstood something). In a
family day care the babies aren't segregated away from the toddlers:
the babies are mixing with the toddlers and older. From the OP's
description, it sounds like there is a room where all the babies are,
and they don't get to mix with the other children.

I agree if the OP wants his baby mixing more with other kids, then a
family daycare would achieve that aim. But not the daycare he described.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old December 7th 07, 09:40 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Penny Gaines says...

Paul wrote:
Our 7 month old son is our first, and is an only child. We have a good
friend that lives with us who acts the part of the nanny while we both
work.

Starting January we are putting our child into daycare because we feel
it will be good for him to be with other kids, good to build up his
social skills, good to see what other kids do so he can develop better
than just being at home playing with our friend who is older (50) and
does her best.

First of all, 50yo is not *that* old - it might seem it when you are
in your twenties, but she is certainly young enough to provide an
enriching enviroment for a baby. If she was 70yo, it might be different.

Yeah really! ;-)

Banty

Old December 8th 07, 01:08 AM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

Paul wrote:
Our 7 month old son is our first, and is an only child. We have a good
friend that lives with us who acts the part of the nanny while we both
work.

..

I can't see how it would hurt... from what I hear now is a good time
for him to go too, since at 1 year old he might have a hearder
time....

You said there was 4:1 child:adult ratio. With your present arrangement,
it is 1:1. Until the kid is older and able to better interact with other
kids (around 3 years), I don't see much benefit. Save your money for his
education or your retirement (you can finance a college education, but
no one gives retirement loans).

Jeff
Old December 8th 07, 07:32 AM posted to misc.kids
deja.blues

"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

At seven months, he'll get few, if any, benefits from being around other
babies in a day care setting. He'll benefit more from one-on-one interaction
with a caring adult who provides affection, stimulation, toys, and
excursions.

He will get sick a lot more in day care, but this will be a benefit to your
subsequent children, should you have any, as the germs he brings home to
will offer them, and you, some immunity.

Putting him in daycare now, when you have a committed caregiver, is a waste
of money. A reasonably bright child does not need daycare or preschool in
order to adjust to kindergarten. A good kindergarten teacher will know how
to deal with children from all sorts of backgrounds.