Baby Spots spreading

Old April 2nd 05, 11:48 AM
Dagny

Default Baby Spots spreading

If this is infant acne, my baby responded well to a weak benzoyl peroxide
preparation such as is marketed for "adult acne" (as opposed to teenage acne
where the preparations are much higher in benzoyl peroxide). The down side
is I had to be very careful not to bleach his clothes or my nursing shirts
with it.

-- Dagny
Mom to Meg, 10/03
and RD Poppin Fresh 1/05

Old April 2nd 05, 02:28 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Wildwookie wrote:

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how long did it last and is
there anything in particular we can do to help clear this up?

It can be frustrating, but it reall does go away after a
while without your doing anything at all. I can't remember precisely
how long it took. I remember it seeming like a long time going
through it, but with hindsight, it couldn't have been *that* long.
I don't think it was an issue by 3 months.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old April 2nd 05, 02:43 PM
Sue

If you just leave it alone, it will go away on its own. It's probably better
to not put a bunch of stuff on it in case his skin is sensitive. Just wash
him regularly as you would. I don't remember how long, but it usually is
short-lived. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

"Wildwookie" wrote in message
(Topic also posted to uk.people.parents)

Hi all,

I was hoping some of you might have some advice about baby spots.

My DS is 7 weeks old today and for the last 3 weeks or so has had
baby (milk?) spots.

Initially they were just on his face and a bit on his neck & hairline
but they have gradually spread to Chest & shoulders in the last week.

DS does not appear unwell and is very alert and happy. He is
exclusively breastfed and is gaining half a pound per week. We saw the
health visitor on Thursday and she suggested aqueous cream but we have
already used this previously and it hasn't helped.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, how long did it last and is
there anything in particular we can do to help clear this up?

Thanks in Advance

Denise
DS 12 Feb 05

Old April 2nd 05, 05:25 PM
NotMyRealName

My DS is 7 weeks old today and for the last 3 weeks or so has had
baby (milk?) spots.

I'm guessing you mean baby acne. Totally normal, but kind of annoying,
isn't it? My DS is the same age (7 weeks tomorrow) and has had them since
he was about 3 weeks old. Same areas as your son's, including chest and
back. It's nearly gone now, finally. My DD got it too, but she got it
later, about 6 weeks, and it only lasted about a week, and it was really
just on her face, not her chest and all, IIRC. I was a little surprised
that DS got it earlier and heavier and that it lasted longer. Both are/were
exclusively breastfed and gaining weight like crazy, so I'm sure all is
normal with your son's. Our ped said we could put a small amount of 1/2%
hydrocortisone on it, but I haven't put anything on it, since I know it'll
go away on its own eventually. I just wipe his face with a clean warm
soapless washcloth, and that's it.

Sounds like your son is doing very well -- yay!
--
-Sara
Mommy to DD, 3

Old April 2nd 05, 05:51 PM
Wildwookie

Hi Dagny

Thanks for this. I've seen a doctor today as some of the spots
appeared on DS's eyelids and his eyes looked puffy and they have
advised not to put anything on and it should hopefully go on it's own.

If they don't go I'll keep Benzoyl Peroxide in mind.

Thanks again,

Denise.
DS 12 Feb 05

Old April 2nd 05, 05:52 PM
Wildwookie

Thanks Ericka

We've seen a Doctor today who has said the same thing so we'll just
keep an eye on things for the time being.

Denise
DS 12 Feb 05

Old April 2nd 05, 06:00 PM
Wildwookie

Thanks Sara,

It's reassuring to hear that someone else's baby has exactly the same
thing at the same age. I was worried as I didn't know the baby acne
could spread as much and thought it only affected the face.

We saw a Doctor earlier as some of the spots had appeared on DS's
eyelids and as a result his eye's were quite puffy. The doctor has
advised the same thing so we'll keep things nice and clean & see what
happens.

Denise
12 Feb 05

Old April 2nd 05, 10:57 PM
Jamie Clark

Are you talking about infant acne? If so, there isn't anything you need to
do. It will clear up on it's own. It does get worse before it gets better,
as you have noticed. You don't need to use anything, and in fact, it's
better if you don't. By 12 weeks is should be completely gone.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old April 2nd 05, 11:08 PM
Wildwookie

Hi Jamie,

I must admit until I started reading the replies to my postings I'd
never heard of infant acne or milia as the Doctor called it. I've been
reassured by all the posts and by the Doctor we saw earlier today.

Thanks again

Denise
DS 7 weeks today

Old April 3rd 05, 12:20 AM
Mamma Mia

"Dagny" wrote in message
. ..
If this is infant acne, my baby responded well to a weak benzoyl peroxide
preparation such as is marketed for "adult acne" (as opposed to teenage
acne where the preparations are much higher in benzoyl peroxide). The
down side is I had to be very careful not to bleach his clothes or my
nursing shirts with it.

-- Dagny
Mom to Meg, 10/03
and RD Poppin Fresh 1/05

in my opinion, i disagree with this. Just ignore it and it will go away
soon enough would be my view. i would not put this stuff on baby skin.
IMO!

christine