Double stroller half-life and logistics

Old September 11th 03, 04:05 AM
Laurie

Default Double stroller half-life and logistics

Ok, so I already have a double stroller. Truth be told, I have 2. I really
don't like either of them, and am trying to decide if it's worth it to go
for a nice new one with the bells and whistles or just to stop being such a
damn princess and stick with the two I've got.

Brief summary is that I had one I really wanted pre birth of second baby,
ended up getting another one as a gift from MIL and 2 SIL's. It's really
awful. Huge, very heavy, so hard to maneuver it's not even funny. The back
doesn't go back far enough for a young baby to recline comfortably. The
canopies aren't big enough, Jess pulls hers out all the time, I can't
complain about it enough. Every time I use it I find myself uttering
obscenities.

This brings my good friend into the picture, who knew how frustrated I was
with the damn thing, and picked up an old one for me cheaply at a yard
sale. The plan was I'd give it back to her when I'm done with it for any
future use she may have for it (she currently has only one baby). This
stroller is much easier to turn and maneuver and does recline safely for a
young baby. However, it's almost too short for him already, is very
difficult to fold down and is very difficult to get into the back of my car.
It's also hard to get stuff into the basket and doesn't have the
aforementioned bells and whistles like cup holders for either baby or even
just snack trays. Of course none for mom either. Not a huge deal, but nice
plusses.

The one I really wanted, a Graco, is on sale for $129, a decent price. It
turns on a dime, has all the bells and whistles and decent storage. Folds
easier. The only thing I don't know is how well it will fit into my car, but
since my other Graco and my newer double stroller fit fine, I'm going to
assume it won't be an issue. I've been to the mall 3 times this week (not a
normal thing, have been trying to get the kids pictures done and have had a
couple of bdays to shop for) and every time I walk by it, I want to buy it
so badly. I've got the devil on one shoulder/angel on the other thing going
on, telling myself I'm being silly and frivolous to spend the money, but
wanting it sooooo badly and thinking how much nicer and more convenient it
would be.

I would use it for walks, trips to the mall and occasional other uses.
Fairly often, in other words. Jess has a short stroller tolerance, but does
use and like it. Just not for long periods of time. So what I'm getting at
is, basically, is it worth it at this point to get the one I really want? I
notice on the mkb thread about many people using strollers until their kids
are 4 and older (at times). If that's the case, it's definitely worth it to
me.

Opinions?

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 29 months
and Christopher, 4 months

*This email address is now valid*

Old September 11th 03, 04:56 AM
Laurie

Nina wrote in message ...

"Laurie"

[...]

I used my double stroller for a long long time, it was worth every cent!

Thanks Nina, good to know!

Old September 11th 03, 05:09 AM
Nina

"Laurie" wrote in message
et...

Nina wrote in message ...

"Laurie"

[...]

To elaborate. I used it a LOT!!! It kept the kids in place in stores, it
was big enough to use instead of a cart when shopping. After I used it for
about 3 years I gave it to my brother. SOmething like a stroller, especially
one for 2 kids, is really a worthwhile investment. I would have died without
my stroller, I am serious about that. I used to go to the book store, lean
the kids back for a nap and read for an hour or so. THey would just snooze
and all would be well with the world.
I like my graco stroller and in fact, for my new baby ordered an older model
via Ebay just because I wanted what I wanted!

Old September 11th 03, 01:30 PM
Sophie

"Nina" wrote in message
et...

"Laurie"

[...]

And as you know, I never used mine. If you are really, really, really going
to use it, buy it. I had much better luck using an umbrella stroller and a
Baby Bjorn when I would take out Charlotte and Patrick, then Patrick and
Lewis. I have NO intentions of buying a double stroller for Lewis and #4.

--
Sophie -
TTC #4

Old September 11th 03, 01:53 PM
Laurie

Sophie wrote in message ...
"Nina" wrote in message
. net...

"Laurie"

[...]

That's what I end up doing most of the time, either using the single
stroller and the bjorn or the single stroller and the sling. I just get too
aggravated every time I use the double strollers. There have been several
incidences when i've thought it would be really nice to have one I liked,
though. Thanks Sophie.

As of now, it already hurts to wear CHristopher in the bjorn too long (he's
about 17 lbs, that's when it started hurting with Jess, too) and he's only
happy in the sling for so long.

Old September 11th 03, 02:48 PM
Irene

"Laurie" wrote in message . net...
Ok, so I already have a double stroller. Truth be told, I have 2. I really
don't like either of them, and am trying to decide if it's worth it to go
for a nice new one with the bells and whistles or just to stop being such a
damn princess and stick with the two I've got.

Well, I'm afraid I have no answers for you, just more questions!

I'm curious about one thing - I was reading in Toddler Bargains just
recently that they (the authors) thought that tandem (front/back)
strollers were horribly unweildy, and they much preferred the
side-by-side. But, that's not what I'm hearing from people on the
ng's. What's the scoop?

FWIW, when #2 shows up, ds will be about 2.75 years. Right now, I
only rarely use the stroller, because he gets restless very quickly,
but I know I won't be able to carry both him and a newborn at the same
time very easily! (Or for any sort of distance).

Muddying the issue,
Irene
mom to Thomas 7/01
#2 EDD 4/10/04
Old September 11th 03, 05:07 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Laurie wrote:

[...]

Honestly, this is one that in my mind boils down to just
how price sensitive you are. You don't get any guarantees.
Jess could turn over a new leaf tomorrow and refuse to sit
in a stroller ever again ;-) Some people do get much longer
use out of strollers than others, and surely if you're still
using a double stroller two years now you'll kick yourself if
you don't get the stroller you want. If the money was a
significant hardship, I'd slog on without. If it were of
no significant consequence, I'd get it. In between...well,
you just have to call it ;-) Maybe it helps if you look
at the alternative uses of the $129.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old September 11th 03, 06:14 PM
Circe

"Sophie" wrote in message
Mine is a front/back one (Graco Duo or something). I have no idea how you
would get a side by side through doorways, through store racks, etc..

I have a Graco side-by-side and it's not much wider than a standard
wheelchair, so I can get anywhere with it that someone in a wheelchair can
get (which may not be saying much, I admit). When getting through doorways,
it definitely helps if there's someone to hold it open for me or it's one of
the ones that self-props, but I can generally get through fine by myself if
I open the door, prop it with my foot, and then back through (if you can
envision that). I actually tend to do that a lot with a single stroller,
too, though. Getting through racks in department stores can *definitely* be
tricky with the double, though.

Still, I really *liked* my side-by-side double, particularly when Aurora was
an infant and Julian was 2. It was nice to be able to seat them without
worrying about whether the seat they were in would recline in the event one
or the other (or both) fell asleep. I know there are some tandems that
recline in both positions, but I didn't see any when I was shopping for my
double that didn't cost an absolute mint.

I have to admit, though, that I didn't use the double for Aurora and Vernon
nearly as much as I expected to. I don't know how I managed, exactly--I
guess I just didn't do as many outings with both of them as I did with
Julian and Aurora, probably because Aurora was already in preschool when
Vernon was born and so there were more opportunities to do errands and the
like with only one kid!
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [18mo] mom)

"No parking passed this sign" -- hotel parking lot sign

Old September 11th 03, 11:59 PM
Taniwha grrrl

Irene wrote:
"Laurie" wrote in message

But, that's not what I'm hearing from people on the
ng's. What's the scoop?

I've had both and I much prefer my side by side one as it's
easier to turn and push. Mine is a twin mountain buggy
(jogger buggy?) and it handles most terrain, doesn't do so
well on beaches though unless the sand is wet and compacted.
Like Barbara said it's no wider than a wheelchair, but that
being said you realise how difficult shopping must be for
those in wheelchairs. It fits through most doors, but not
all, and navigating clothing racks in some stores becomes
some sort of maze/bondage challenge.

--
Andrea

If I can't be a good example, then I'll just have to be a
horrible warning.

Old September 12th 03, 02:39 AM
Alphawave

Laurie says:

So what I'm getting at
is, basically, is it worth it at this point to get the one I really
want?

I know how nice it is to get the stroller you really want. We had an
inexpensive model for Eamon, then got a much nicer one as a gift for
Quinn. Eamon's is so unwieldy, hard to maneuver, creaks like crazy, etc.
(although, it has lasted, and we've put it through all kinds of hell).
Quinn's moves as if it were floating on a cloud, and we love it. I guess
the answer as to whether to buy this nice stroller is think through what
else that $129 could do for you, and how bummed you'd be if Jess suddenly
started refusing to ride.

We never got a double stroller. We went looking, couldn't make up our
minds, then decided to wait and see whether we'd really need it. When we
go out, either Quinn's in the stroller and Eamon walks, or Eamon's in the
stroller and Quinn's in the sling.

-- Alpha
alphawave at earthlink dot net