Florida Lawmakers seek more oversight of DCF

Old August 3rd 07, 05:58 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
fx

Default Florida Lawmakers seek more oversight of DCF

Lawmakers seek more oversight of DCF

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/brea...ry/190535.html

Democratic leaders in the Florida Legislature asked top lawmakers
Thursday to convene a series of oversight hearings into recent scandals
at the state's long-troubled child welfare agency, including the recent
rape of a Miami foster girl.

In letters Thursday to House Speaker Marco Rubio of West Miami and
Senate President Ken Pruitt of Port St. Lucie, minority leaders in both
chambers called for the creation of a select committee to investigate a
series of recent tragedies involving children under the care of the
Department of Children & Families.

In his letter to Rubio, House Democratic Leader Dan Gelber of Miami
Beach cited two recent stories in The Miami Herald. One detailed the
plight of 15-year-old Stephanie Dorismond, who was beaten to death by a
36-year-old man with whom she was living shortly after a DCF abuse
investigator pronounced her safe.

The second story, published last week, reported that a Miami foster
child had been raped in her foster home. Police have charged the
boyfriend of the girl's foster mother. The assault took place months
after a DCF investigator had found ''some'' evidence the man had
molested another girl in the same home months earlier.

''The allegations in The Herald and in a Channel 4 [WFOR-CBS 4] news
story in Miami suggest that this was an entirely avoidable tragedy that
resulted from serious lapses by both DCF and Our Kids,'' DCF's privately
run foster care agency, Gelber wrote. ``As we go into leaner budget
years, our members ought to pay special attention to budget cuts that
might have disastrous effects on Florida's important, but often
tattered, child safety net.''

In a separate letter to Pruitt, Sen. Nan H. Rich, a Sunrise Democrat,
said lawmakers need to look at the entire child-welfare system.

''I know that some will say that the agencies are doing their own
investigations,'' Rich said. ``That is all well and good; but when
children die or are raped in the custody of the state, we the
Legislature have our own responsibility to figure out how to make the
system better and and how to make children safer.''

Rich and Gelber also mentioned the case of Courtney Clark, a Pinellas
County toddler who was missing for four months from a state-approved
caregiver's house before police found her in a Portage, Wis., home with
her birth mom. Another child in the Wisconsin home had been tortured,
and his mother was buried in the back yard.

DCF administrators have repeatedly acknowledged that both they and the
private agencies with which they contract made serious errors.

Spokeswomen for Rubio and Pruitt said the leaders received the letters
but will have no immediate response. Rubio is vacationing with his
family. Pruitt has taken the request under review, said his spokeswoman,
Kathy Mears. A DCF spokesman said the agency would cooperate fully with
any investigation by state lawmakers.

DCF Secretary Bob Butterworth ''has made it very clear the state's child
welfare system is in need of serious repair. Thats why he has
established [a] task force on child protection that begins its work in
Tampa'' today, said Tallahassee spokesman Al Zimmerman.

''That's also why, if lawmakers choose to convene oversight hearings, we
will certainly welcome their assistance in trying to -- once and for all
-- fix our child welfare system,'' Zimmerman added.

The 13-member Task Force on Child Protection, appointed by Butterworth,
will meet at 10 a.m. today on the Tampa campus of the Stetson University
Law School. It will hold hearings on recent lapses, and make
recommendations for legislative action -- including measures for paying
for reforms of programs that may be costly, Zimmerman said.

Said Fran Allegra, who heads Our Kids: ``Tragedies like this are
completely unacceptable. . . . Our Kids looks forward to having an
opportunity to discuss any systemic failures in an open and transparent
manner. We will use lessons learned to continue to improve the system of
care so that kids are safe.''

Miami Herald staff writer Mary Ellen Klas contributed to this report.

CURRENTLY CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES VIOLATES MORE CIVIL RIGHTS ON A
DAILY BASIS THEN ALL OTHER AGENCIES COMBINED INCLUDING THE NSA / CIA
WIRETAPPING PROGRAM....

CPS Does not protect children...
It is sickening how many children are subject to abuse, neglect and even
killed at the hands of Child Protective Services.

every parent should read this .pdf from
connecticut dcf watch...

http://www.connecticutdcfwatch.com/8x11.pdf

http://www.connecticutdcfwatch.com

Number of Cases per 100,000 children in the US
These numbers come from The National Center on
Child Abuse and Neglect in Washington. (NCCAN)
Recent numbers have increased significantly for CPS

*Perpetrators of Maltreatment*

Physical Abuse CPS 160, Parents 59
Sexual Abuse CPS 112, Parents 13
Neglect CPS 410, Parents 241
Medical Neglect CPS 14 Parents 12
Fatalities CPS 6.4, Parents 1.5

CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES, HAPPILY DESTROYING HUNDREDS OF INNOCENT
FAMILIES YEARLY NATIONWIDE AND COMING TO YOU'RE HOME SOON...

BE SURE TO FIND OUT WHERE YOUR CANDIDATES STANDS ON THE ISSUE OF
REFORMING OR ABOLISHING CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES ("MAKE YOUR CANDIDATES
TAKE A STAND ON THIS ISSUE.") THEN REMEMBER TO VOTE ACCORDINGLY IF THEY
ARE "FAMILY UNFRIENDLY" IN THE NEXT ELECTION...

Old August 3rd 07, 10:44 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
krp

"fx" wrote in message
Lawmakers seek more oversight of DCF

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/brea...ry/190535.html

Democratic leaders in the Florida Legislature asked top lawmakers Thursday
to convene a series of oversight hearings into recent scandals at the
state's long-troubled child welfare agency, including the recent rape of a
Miami foster girl.

Golly - - - Dan and Kane say PROVE IT has EVER happened. Thanks!

Old August 3rd 07, 12:15 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
Dan Sullivan

" krp" wrote in message

"fx" wrote in message
Lawmakers seek more oversight of DCF

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/brea...ry/190535.html

Democratic leaders in the Florida Legislature asked top lawmakers
Thursday to convene a series of oversight hearings into recent scandals
at the state's long-troubled child welfare agency, including the recent
rape of a Miami foster girl.

Golly - - - Dan and Kane say PROVE IT has EVER happened. Thanks!

What are you talking about, ken?

Old August 3rd 07, 05:34 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
krp

"Dan Sullivan" wrote in message

Democratic leaders in the Florida Legislature asked top lawmakers
Thursday to convene a series of oversight hearings into recent scandals
at the state's long-troubled child welfare agency, including the recent
rape of a Miami foster girl.

Golly - - - Dan and Kane say PROVE IT has EVER happened. Thanks!

What are you talking about, ken?

Oh just that the idea of the CPS system being so great is bull****,
along with you, Ron and Kane TRYING to sell it here and appeasement of the
great social work monster that preys on families in the world. Shall we talk
about that GREAT adoptive mother that scammed the TAXPAYERS of New York and
Florida for almost 2 million dollars while she abused almost 2 dozen special
needs kids Dan? Go ahead DEFEND IT! I will sit here amused as you try. This
should be good.

Old August 3rd 07, 06:23 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
Dan Sullivan

Default What's sad, kpr, is you've proven yourself to be the fool once again.

" krp" wrote in message

[...]

You expect me to DEFEND what happened, yet when the story was first posted
about the little girl being raped in foster care I asked if you did ANYTHING
about how DCF handled this case (Florida IS your home state) you responded
with "Not much *I* could DO Dan."

Well I was able to do something.

I sent the reporter of the first story two emails detailing how DCF failed
to follow their own rules and regulations.

Further on this specific story you referring to here, I had my following
comments regarding Florida DCF's outrageous behavior posted on the
MiamiHerald's website...

==================

"Some background information regarding Florida DCF and the "second
story" mentioned in the article...

When Florida DCF receives a report that a child was sexually molested
by someone in their family, DCF notifies the police and a criminal
investigation is conducted concurrently with the DCF investigation.
BUT when DCF receives a report that a child was molested in a foster
home they conduct their own investigation and only after it's
completed with a finding of sexual abuse do they notify the police. If
DCF determines no sexual abuse occurred (we all have read the stories
how under-trained, poorly supervised and often times incompetent the
caseworkers are) the police never hear about the sexual abuse.

In this case, in November of 2006 DCF was notified that a child in
foster care was molested, which started their investigation, which did
NOT include notifying the police of the alleged criminal act.

In July of 2007 only after DCF determined that another child in the
home was RAPED in March did they make those reports known to the
police, causing the man to be criminally charged.

What's so outrageous about how DCF handles allegations of sexual abuse
in foster home is blatantly evident in this case. A month after they
received the initial report of sexual abuse DCF renewed the home's
foster care license. DCF closed that case with "some indicators" the
girl had been molested, but determined the risk to the other foster
children as "low" because the perpetrator didn't live in the home. It
should be noted that DCF didn't alert the police to that finding of
sexual abuse. In March of this year, DCF learned the alleged molester
moved into the foster home. A month later DCF was notified of the rape
of another child in the same foster home. Again, DCF started their own
investigation without informing the police. It was only in July, three
months after the little girl was raped, that DCF FINALLY reported the
crimes, including the molestation from last year, to the police.

Thomas G. Franklin, a DCF administrator in Miami said of this case
"This is a tragic situation, and we continue to do all that we can to
assist law enforcement. Children in the state's dependency system are
often already victims of very sad, very traumatic situations, and to
learn a child has been re-victimized is heart-wrenching."
"When we learned that one of the children in our care may have been
assaulted, we acted quickly. When our investigation resulted in
verified findings, we immediately contacted the police."

How can this DCF administrator claim they do all they can "to assist
law enforcement" when for eight months they failed to notify the
police that children in foster care were being molested and raped?

"We immediately contacted the police..." True, but only after DCF
concluded their investigation. DCF caseworkers aren't trained nor do
they have the expertise to conduct a criminal investigation.
It should be noted that Mr. Franklin qualified DCF's handling of THIS
case by saying "When we learned that ONE OF THE CHILDREN IN OUR CARE
may have been assaulted..." The fact is, if the child wasn't in DCF's
care, they would have notified the police right away... not eight months
later.

Someone in Florida should investigate why DCF handles these cases
differently."

============================

Show me where I defended DCF for what they did, krp.

Old August 3rd 07, 10:22 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
krp

Default What's sad, Dan SUllivan is you've proven yourself to be an assholel once again.

[...]

Dyslexia there Dan?

You expect me to DEFEND what happened, yet when the story was first posted
about the little girl being raped in foster care I asked if you did
ANYTHING about how DCF handled this case (Florida IS your home state) you
responded with "Not much *I* could DO Dan."

Sure you pretty much do rationalize the abuses by CPS and the adoption
scam system whenever it's challenged by anyone here.

Well I was able to do something.

I sent the reporter of the first story two emails detailing how DCF failed
to follow their own rules and regulations.

But you are in denial of how OFTEN it happens. You constantly defend
stripping children away from their parents.

Further on this specific story you referring to here, I had my following
comments regarding Florida DCF's outrageous behavior posted on the
MiamiHerald's website...

Remember New York's ACS also had their hand in the fiasco. The problem
isn't confined to Florida it is SYSTEMIC nationally.

Old August 3rd 07, 10:35 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
Dan Sullivan

On Aug 3, 5:22 pm, " krp" wrote:
[...]

Citations, please.

Well I was able to do something.
I sent the reporter of the first story two emails detailing how DCF failed
to follow their own rules and regulations.

But you are in denial of how OFTEN it happens.

No, I'm not.

You constantly defend stripping children away from their parents.

No, I don't.

Post the citations that prove me wrong.

Further on this specific story you referring to here, I had my following
comments regarding Florida DCF's outrageous behavior posted on the
MiamiHerald's website...

Remember New York's ACS also had their hand in the fiasco.

Referring to what specifically?

The problem isn't confined to Florida it is SYSTEMIC nationally.

So?

I did something about what happened in Florida.

Two emails to alert the media how DCF fails to follow their own rules
and regulations.

And a similar commentary posted on the MiamiHerald's website.

All the while you did NOTHING about it.

NOTHING as krp OR the A-Team.

Or isn't that related to the story?

Old August 3rd 07, 10:47 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
krp

"Dan Sullivan" wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Nope have a LIFE Don.

Well I was able to do something.
I sent the reporter of the first story two emails detailing how DCF
failed
to follow their own rules and regulations.

But you are in denial of how OFTEN it happens.

No, I'm not.

Sure you are.

You constantly defend stripping children away from their parents.

No, I don't. Post the citations that prove me wrong.

Don you and Kane and Ron are CPS trolls in here.

Further on this specific story you referring to here, I had my
following
comments regarding Florida DCF's outrageous behavior posted on the
MiamiHerald's website...

Remember New York's ACS also had their hand in the fiasco.

Referring to what specifically?

What do you mean? The woman was given children to adopt by BOTH states,
by BOTH agencies. Duhhh. Actually MOST were form New York, she just went
to Florida to live the high life off the New York taxpayers.

The problem isn't confined to Florida it is SYSTEMIC nationally.

So? I did something about what happened in Florida.

No Don you do what you always do - you shot your mouth off with your
arrogant opinions which get ignored by normal people.

Two emails to alert the media how DCF fails to follow their own rules
and regulations.

And a similar commentary posted on the MiamiHerald's website.

All the while you did NOTHING about it.

What should *I* have done? inject myself as a know-it-all asshole like
you? I don't think so. I go where my opinions are solicited.

NOTHING as krp OR the A-Team.
Or isn't that related to the story?

If they wanted MY opinion - they'd have asked for it. Sometimes the
media does, sometimes the system does, often defense lawyers or defendants
do, YOU offer your opinion even when people don't want it. And apparently it
****es you off when they decide to ignore you after you bloviate at them.

Old August 3rd 07, 11:07 PM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
Dan Sullivan

" krp" wrote in message

[...]

krp choked... big surprise.

Well I was able to do something.
I sent the reporter of the first story two emails detailing how DCF
failed
to follow their own rules and regulations.

But you are in denial of how OFTEN it happens.

No, I'm not.

Sure you are.

A burning retort.

You constantly defend stripping children away from their parents.

No, I don't. Post the citations that prove me wrong.

Don you and Kane and Ron are CPS trolls in here.

GFYS.

Further on this specific story you referring to here, I had my
following
comments regarding Florida DCF's outrageous behavior posted on the
MiamiHerald's website...

Remember New York's ACS also had their hand in the fiasco.

Referring to what specifically?

What do you mean? The woman was given children to adopt by BOTH states,
by BOTH agencies. Duhhh. Actually MOST were form New York, she just went
to Florida to live the high life off the New York taxpayers.

The problem isn't confined to Florida it is SYSTEMIC nationally.

So? I did something about what happened in Florida.

No Don you do what you always do - you shot your mouth off with your
arrogant opinions which get ignored by normal people.

Not true, at all.

Two emails to alert the media how DCF fails to follow their own rules
and regulations.

And a similar commentary posted on the MiamiHerald's website.

All the while you did NOTHING about it.

What should *I* have done? inject myself as a know-it-all asshole like
you?

What did you find inaccurate or untrue in my commentary?

I don't think so. I go where my opinions are solicited.

Hilarious.

You'll keep quiet about all the mistakes in the child protection system...
unless someone asks for your opinion?

NOTHING as krp OR the A-Team.
Or isn't that related to the story?

If they wanted MY opinion - they'd have asked for it.

The problems in the CP system aren't serious enough for you to speak up ON
YOUR OWN?????

Sometimes the media does, sometimes the system does, often defense lawyers
or defendants do, YOU offer your opinion even when people don't want it.

How do you know the reporter didn't want my emails detailinng how DCF
doesn't follow their own rules and regulations?

And the MiamiHerald had a place for commentary, so they were looking for a
response.

And apparently it ****es you off when they decide to ignore you after you
bloviate at them.

Very little ****es me of, kenny boy, including you.

I just love getting you to jump through hoop after hoop.

Old August 4th 07, 11:07 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
krp

Default What's sad, Dan Sullivan is you've proven yourself to be an asshole once again.

[...]

Dan you are litle the twerp on the playground - who - when defeated
says; "YEAH PROVE IT!" A sign you know you already lost.

Well I was able to do something. I sent the reporter of the first
story two emails detailing how DCF failed to follow their own rules
and regulations.

But you are in denial of how OFTEN it happens.

No, I'm not.

Sure you are.

A burning retort.

How often do foster parents and adoptive parents abuse the children Dan?

You constantly defend stripping children away from their parents.

No, I don't. Post the citations that prove me wrong.

Don you and Kane and Ron are CPS trolls in here.

GFYS.

Oooo. Hit a nerve?

Further on this specific story you referring to here, I had my
following
comments regarding Florida DCF's outrageous behavior posted on the
MiamiHerald's website...

Remember New York's ACS also had their hand in the fiasco.

Referring to what specifically?

What do you mean? The woman was given children to adopt by BOTH
states, by BOTH agencies. Duhhh. Actually MOST were form New York, she
just went to Florida to live the high life off the New York taxpayers.

The problem isn't confined to Florida it is SYSTEMIC nationally.

So? I did something about what happened in Florida.

No Don you do what you always do - you shot your mouth off with your
arrogant opinions which get ignored by normal people.

Not true, at all.

Dan want to take a survey of what your reputation here is?

Two emails to alert the media how DCF fails to follow their own rules
and regulations.

And a similar commentary posted on the MiamiHerald's website.

All the while you did NOTHING about it.

What should *I* have done? inject myself as a know-it-all asshole like
you?

What did you find inaccurate or untrue in my commentary?

You miss the entire point.You bludgeon people with your unslicited
ARROGANT and always STRIDENT opinions.

I don't think so. I go where my opinions are solicited.

Hilarious.

As far as sending stuff to the media or official proveedings - YES Dan.
I don't badger people with UNSOLICITED opinions and braggadocio like you, I
get invited.

You'll keep quiet about all the mistakes in the child protection system...
unless someone asks for your opinion?

Well Dan - yes - I don't speak to the media unless they contact me. I
don't BARGE into official hearings DEMANDING to be heard, I get invited on
occasion, and if I don't - I don't. Some folks seek that **** out to promote
themselves. I don't have to.

NOTHING as krp OR the A-Team.
Or isn't that related to the story?

If they wanted MY opinion - they'd have asked for it.

The problems in the CP system aren't serious enough for you to speak up ON
YOUR OWN?????

Sure they are Dan, but *I* am not confusing myself with the role of
MESSIAH like you are!

Sometimes the media does, sometimes the system does, often defense
lawyers or defendants do, YOU offer your opinion even when people don't
want it.

How do you know the reporter didn't want my emails detailinng how DCF
doesn't follow their own rules and regulations?

Are yopu claiming they called YOU - some Usenet BLOWHARD and solicited
YOUR "EXPERT" opinion?

And the MiamiHerald had a place for commentary, so they were looking for a
response.

FROM YOU!?? And how long have you lived in Miami?

And apparently it ****es you off when they decide to ignore you after you
bloviate at them.

Very little ****es me of, kenny boy, including you.

HA HA!

I just love getting you to jump through hoop after hoop.

Better look at the replay to see who's doing the hoops Danny boy.