Middle school readiness

Old July 9th 07, 02:11 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

Default Middle school readiness

"Banty" wrote in message
Noone's saying water is not good for people. But there is some medical
misinformation in your posts (concerning thirst, for example) that really
needs
correction. It's not like we're fighting against Motherhood and Apple Pie
point that out.

The thirst thing didn't come from me though, Vickie said something about
thirst and dehydration. All I said was I think kids in school should have a
water bottle.
I didn't say anything about water that isn't correct.
--
Sue

Old July 9th 07, 03:10 PM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article , Sue says...

"Banty" wrote in message
Noone's saying water is not good for people. But there is some medical
misinformation in your posts (concerning thirst, for example) that really
needs
correction. It's not like we're fighting against Motherhood and Apple Pie
point that out.

The thirst thing didn't come from me though, Vickie said something about
thirst and dehydration. All I said was I think kids in school should have a
water bottle.
I didn't say anything about water that isn't correct.

But it's not like that's so obvious, either. This thing about needing constant
hydration is also a myth.

And remember the posts about what about this drives folks who know better crazy?
This is the origin of the "where's his water bottle where's his water bottle" if
I'm, for example, at the municipal park with my son. Water's at home, water's
at the fountain, if there's a vendor water's there, on longer outings it may be
in a cooler in the car. In case he gets thirsty. But it doesn't have to be
glued to his hand.

Banty

Banty

Old July 10th 07, 03:27 AM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

Banty wrote:

In article , Sue says...

"Barbara" wrote in message
Sue, you cut the comment that I was responding to, and then pretended
that I had responded to something entirely different. That's
completely unacceptable. I shall assume that you did not do this
intentionally. For the record, Vickie stated that by time people
became thirsty, they were already dehydrated. That's completely
untrue, as noted in the link I provided. If you can find a scientific
study stating that people need to drink before they're thirsty, then
do it.

Sorry, it wasn't intentional. I was just responding to the study that I
disagreed with. I am sorry you felt attacked. I just disagree with your
stance on water, nothing more. It baffles me to no end that people on this
board will fight about everything, even if it is something that is good for
a person.

Noone's saying water is not good for people. But there is some medical
misinformation in your posts (concerning thirst, for example) that really needs
correction. It's not like we're fighting against Motherhood and Apple Pie to
point that out.

Actually I think there are instances where thirst is not a good
indicator for hydration. If you are working in a hot environment that
you are not used to, you might not realize that you are becoming
dehydrated.

In hot environments, thirst is not stimulated until plasma osmolarity
rises 1-2% above the level customarily found in temperate climates.
Consequently, if thirst is used as the guide to drinking, people will
maintain themselves at a level that is 1-2% dehydrated relative to
their usual state

Try to consume 4 to 8 fluid ounces of water every 15 to 30 minutes
during heavy activity in hot climates.

NOTE: Heavy activity in hot climates does not usually include
classroom work.

Although the temperature of the replacement fluid is not critical,
fluids at room temperature may replace lost fluid in cells faster than
chilled fluids. Plain water or electrolyte solutions are good choices.
Avoid caffeine and alcohol; these diuretics will cause your body to
lose water. Most of the dark soft drinks contain caffeine

I also found some research which indicates that women do not sweat as
soon as men to maintain heat control in the body. Originally this was
thought to indicate that women could not handle heat effectively, but
when men and women of similar body size, fitness and acclimatization
were studied and their core temperatures compared, there wasn't any
difference in core temperatures even though the women didn't sweat as
soon as the men did. (A confirmation of my mom's old saying - Horses
sweat, men perspire and women glow g)
Old July 10th 07, 09:31 AM posted to misc.kids
Welches

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
Banty wrote:

In article , Sue
says...

"Barbara" wrote in message
[...]

I know that as "men sweat, gentlemen perspire and ladies merely glow"
I have a problem that I don't "glow" much and I can get very overheated if I
don't drink enough.
Debbie