red painful sores on nipple

Old August 27th 03, 03:10 AM
jake's mom

Default red painful sores on nipple

What could cause these--(only on one nipple)? I assume I need to keep on
feeding from that breast which is what I'm doing. I noticed a lot of pain
while feeding earlier this evening but did not think much about it because I
have pain at a certain time each month. I looked at the nipple later and
noticed about 2-3 red, raised spots on it. I expressed some bm and rubbed
it on the entire nipple because I've read so much on this ng about it being
the cure-all. Any ideas on what these are or what else I can do to treat
them? Should I still keep feeding from that breast?

Robin

Old August 27th 03, 03:34 AM
Dawn Lawson

newfy wrote:

"jake's mom" wrote in message
. com...
What could cause these--(only on one nipple)? I assume I need to keep on
feeding from that breast which is what I'm doing. I noticed a lot of pain
while feeding earlier this evening but did not think much about it because

have pain at a certain time each month. I looked at the nipple later and
noticed about 2-3 red, raised spots on it. I expressed some bm and rubbed
it on the entire nipple because I've read so much on this ng about it

being
the cure-all. Any ideas on what these are or what else I can do to treat
them? Should I still keep feeding from that breast?

Robin

Are they on the actual nipple or areola? How old is your baby? Could they be
cracks if they are on the actual nipple?

Could they be the normal "lumpiness" of a nipple ( on the "front" or "flat" end
of the nipple) and you just had a bad latch that has caused some bruising?

Old August 27th 03, 06:44 AM
jake's mom

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

newfy wrote:

"jake's mom" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

No, my nipples are both lumpy. These are extra lumps or inflamed
lumps--very red and tender and yes they are on the actual nipple.

Robin

Old August 27th 03, 07:03 AM
Tine Andersen

"jake's mom" skrev i en meddelelse
. com...
What could cause these--(only on one nipple)? I assume I need to keep on
feeding from that breast which is what I'm doing. I noticed a lot of pain
while feeding earlier this evening but did not think much about it because

have pain at a certain time each month. I looked at the nipple later and
noticed about 2-3 red, raised spots on it. I expressed some bm and rubbed
it on the entire nipple because I've read so much on this ng about it

being
the cure-all. Any ideas on what these are or what else I can do to treat
them? Should I still keep feeding from that breast?

Robin

Trush?????

Tine, Denmark

Old August 27th 03, 04:03 PM
jake's mom

Are they on the actual nipple or areola? How old is your baby? Could

they be
cracks if they are on the actual nipple?

Could they be the normal "lumpiness" of a nipple ( on the "front" or

"flat" end
of the nipple) and you just had a bad latch that has caused some bruising?

DS is a little over 3 months old. The sores look a little less red after
putting the expressed bm on overnight. There is still pain during
feeding--sound like something I should call the dr. about?

Robin

Old August 28th 03, 02:06 AM
Alicia Elliott

Hi Robin, I'm no expert (having only a 3.5 week old) but from what you
wrote, it sounds like what I experienced during my first week, and that was
due to a bad latch. The nipple was compressed in baby's mouth, and ended up
with little 'blisters' that were very sore, and made bfing a challenge.
Definitely keep feeding from that nipple, and continue to apply the
expressed milk, but if you feel pain when you aren't nursing, or the baby
shows white spots in his mouth that don't wipe off, then maybe look into
some home remedies for thrush. I wouldn't worry about it though, especially
if it's getting better overnight. Again, I am new to this, so don't take my
word for it.
Good luck, Alicia

. com...

Old August 28th 03, 07:43 AM
Catheleijne Berck

jake's mom wrote:

What could cause these--(only on one nipple)? I assume I need to keep on
feeding from that breast which is what I'm doing. I noticed a lot of pain
while feeding earlier this evening but did not think much about it because I
have pain at a certain time each month. I looked at the nipple later and
noticed about 2-3 red, raised spots on it. I expressed some bm and rubbed
it on the entire nipple because I've read so much on this ng about it being
the cure-all. Any ideas on what these are or what else I can do to treat
them? Should I still keep feeding from that breast?

Robin

I had these when I started nursing DD. I tried to google some info on
them but could not find anything on the 'net about it. My nipples were
very painful at that time as well. I attributed it to DD's strong suck
and my nipples not being used to breastfeeding, but from what I remember
your DC is older.
I did the same as you - but a drop of bm on them and let it air dry. The
red blisters went away by themselves after af few days, though I had
nipple pain when latching on until DD was about 5 weeks old. I did keep
feeding from that breast.
She's now 7 weeks and things are going really well, I'm very glad I
stuck with it!

HTH
Cath
DD born 07/05/03
Old August 28th 03, 01:50 PM
jake's mom

"Catheleijne Berck" wrote in message
jake's mom wrote:

I had these when I started nursing DD. I tried to google some info on
them but could not find anything on the 'net about it. My nipples were
very painful at that time as well. I attributed it to DD's strong suck
and my nipples not being used to breastfeeding, but from what I remember
your DC is older.
I did the same as you - but a drop of bm on them and let it air dry. The
red blisters went away by themselves after af few days, though I had
nipple pain when latching on until DD was about 5 weeks old. I did keep
feeding from that breast.
She's now 7 weeks and things are going really well, I'm very glad I
stuck with it!

HTH
Cath
DD born 07/05/03

Thanks for the replies! I've still been putting bm on it after and between
feedings. This morning it looks even better than yesterday morning! It
must be healing on its on but boy was it painful! It was similar to when we
first started bf like you said. I need to be more careful with DS
latches--that's probably what caused it. Thank God it's not thrush!

Thanks again for the input,

Robin

NPR: How to make labor more painful (SURPRISE!) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 0 March 3rd 04 10:51 PM
Still struggling with nipple crack....? Chotii Breastfeeding 4 August 18th 03 01:16 PM
Ongoing problems, very frustrating....insights? Cathy Breastfeeding 1 August 11th 03 02:14 AM
BF advice Ben Breastfeeding 17 July 25th 03 07:00 PM
Help - Breast inflammation Cathy Breastfeeding 10 July 22nd 03 03:57 AM