umbilical hernia discharge

Old January 5th 06, 06:57 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default umbilical hernia discharge

I'm posting here 'cause I know many of you have/had infants and are far more
knowledgeable than I about baby care stuff!
My 5wk old daughter has an umbilical hernia, no big deal except that she has
a big "outie"! However, in the last week or so I've noticed a slight
crustiness on the belly button or her diaper where it rubs up against it.
When I pull back on that sheath of skin, there's a little moist pink bit of
flesh in there (not to be too graphic, but it makes me think of a dog's
penis hiding away in there!).
Is this normal? She has no pain there, no fever, etc and I don't notice an
odor, although the discharge is so slight I might not notice it over the
usual diaper smell!
She has a Dr appt at 2 months and I plan to bring it up then, but if anyone
knows if there is something more urgent I'll take her in sooner.
Any thoughts?
Amy

Old January 5th 06, 10:34 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

"V." wrote in message
[...]

It's been 8 yrs, but my first daughter was like that. It took longer for
her belly button to heal because it poked out further with the hernia I
guess. We treated it like we treated the stump before it fell off -
occasional alcohol, folding down diaper to prevent rubbing, etc. It did
finally heal, and she eventually got rid of the hernia and outie.