Middle school readiness

Old July 3rd 07, 11:30 PM posted to misc.kids
Beliavsky

Default Middle school readiness

On Jul 3, 5:40 pm, GGildy wrote:

snip

Chapter 1 - Dealing with the School
Tip # 1 - Above all, see yourself in a partnership with the school.
The following poem does a great job demonstrating the importance of
unity in the parent/school relationship:

There cannot be unity when the values of the parents and the school
differ too much.
Consider the following case from Lexington, Massachusetts, taken from

http://www.massresistance.org/docs/parker/montalvo.html

Family left Lexington school system over homosexuality in David
Parker's elementary school.
Another Estabrook Elementary School family's problems with the
homosexual agenda in school caused them to leave the school -- and the
town of Lexington in February, 2005.

The following speech was delivered by Gerry Wambolt at the David
Parker Rally on the Lexington Battle Green on September 6, 2005.

Hello. I'm Gerry Wambolt, a Lexington resident and parent. My family
and I have had personal struggles within the Lexington public schools
over parental rights and having our beliefs and views respected, but
today I would like to tell you about another family's struggles at
Lexington's Estabrook Elementary school. The Montalvo family could not
be present, so I'll tell you about a series of events which occurred
to them here in our community. Ultimately, this family found it
necessary to remove their children from the Lexington public schools,
and to move out of Lexington altogether, since their parental rights
and their values were not respected, and were in fact, attacked and
completely discounted.

In August 2004, the Montalvos moved to Lexington with very high
expectations for their children's education at Estabrook Elementary
school. They'd heard so many good things about the Lexington public
school system - as with so many of us this was a major reason they
chose to move to Lexington.

A few months into the school year their second grade son began a lunch
room discussion with other students about whether a man could marry
another man. As children will do, they began enthusiastically debating
the question. Soon a teacher and teacher's aide were asked for input.
The answer the adults gave was simply that two men could marry in this
state, and so those children who said a man could marry another man
were completely in the right. The children were not told that
Massachusetts is the only state in the nation where gay marriage is
legal. The children were not told that this is only the legal side of
the question, and that there may be other opinions on the topic that
may also be important. Instead, the teachers chose to validate one
belief system and to dismiss any other. The Montalvos feel the answer
the teachers gave to their child was not the whole truth. It was
completely biased towards one particular belief system. Since their
child held to another belief system, his own personal beliefs were
dismissed. Aren't our teachers supposed to be concerned for the
feelings and self-esteem of all of our children? Or is presenting
their side of an important social issue more important?

When the Montalvos heard about this incident, they told their
principal and the director of education that they were not satisfied
with how their child was treated. They also e-mailed the Lexington
school superintendent. He never responded to them.

The Montalvos began to worry about the way in which their children's
teachers were instructing their children about personal and social
issues which related to their personal values and beliefs.

A few months later they became aware of the diversity book directed at
kindergarten children that depicts gay-headed households. The father
told the schools he ABSOLUTELY did not want books normalizing gay-
headed relationships coming home with their kindergarten child. The
parents told the school they wanted to opt-out of the diversity book
bag, which the schools EXPRESSLY told them they could do. Furthermore,
the parents requested that the principal please respect their values
and morals and remove their children from any material or discussion,
whether oral or written, in the classroom pertaining to such subjects.
The book bag was sent home with their kindergarten son anyway, even
though the parents made these requests in writing to the Estabrook
principal.

Further discussions with the principal revealed that all children at
Estabrook have access to books about lesbian and gay-headed
relationships in each and every classroom, and that any teacher or
adult can read these books to children any time they wish, with no
thought of notifying their parents.

Instead of respecting the Montalvos values and beliefs, the principal
seemed to think the problem was the Montalvos, and suggested the
parents attend a workshop entitled, "How and why to talk with your
children about diversity" which was held at Diamond Middle School on
February 8th. It was advertised as an interactive workshop for
teachers and parents sponsored by the Estabrook anti-bias committee.
The workshop leader was a workshop leader trained by GLSEN, which
stands for Gay, Lesbian, Straight, Education Network. He didn't speak
about broad diversity. He didn't speak about respecting diverse
values. Instead he spoke about how to teach children to accept
homosexuality. His presentation included three suggestions for each
and every elementary classroom: 1) posters depicting homosexual
families on the walls, 2) more books to increase children's exposure
to homosexuality, and 3) teacher initiated discussions to guide
children in accepting homosexuality. Any reasonable person can only
conclude the school-sponsored workshop should have been named, "How to
convince your children and students to accept homosexuality." Many of
the teachers and parents at this meeting were in favor of teaching
acceptance and normalization of homosexuality. When Mr. Montalvo
discussed his belief system and his legal rights to shield his own
children from these materials and discussions in the public schools, a
parent told him to leave and to place his children in a private or
religious school. One of the Estabrook staff members had to physically
restrain this parent as she was apparently preparing to physically
attack him - so much for tolerance and safety in the public schools!

The Montalvos were angry, frustrated and confused at how the Lexington
public schools feel they can make these decisions for parents,
regardless of their feelings. The Montalvos felt they had no choice
but to move out of Lexington in the middle of the school year. The
principal of their new school told them they have every right as
parents to make these decisions for their children, and that at this
new school, the teachers are too busy teaching academics and
traditional extra-curricular activities to teach about divisive social
issues.

The Montalvos were forced to conclude that Estabrook was not a safe
place to leave their children. Estabrook teachers and administrators
disregarded the views and beliefs of their students' parents and did
not respect parental rights. These education professionals have
forgotten that these children are only in their temporary care, and
that their parents come from different backgrounds and ways of life
which also must be respected.

The school administration feels they have the latitude to unilaterally
determine what is appropriate for your own children even against the
expressed wishes of the parents. They do not. The school
administration feels they have to right to dismiss and to attack views
and beliefs which they feel are unpopular or not the mainstream in
Lexington. They do not.

The school administration will continue to operate with happy
disregard for our wishes, and in blatant violation our parental
rights, until we let them know this is not acceptable, and that we
will not sit down and take it.

Please join us in letting your children's teachers and principals and
administrators know we take parental rights seriously. Please join us
in making Lexington public schools a place of respect and safety for
EVERYONE, and not just those with certain political views. Thank you.

Old July 4th 07, 12:35 AM posted to misc.kids
dejablues[_3_]

"GGildy" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 3, 2:26 pm, "dejablues" wrote:
"GGildy" wrote in message

oups.com...

It's July! The school year is just around the corner. How do parents
of kids going into middle school get them ready?

Make sure they get enough sleep. Kids this age can stay up half the night
then sleep 'til past noon.

I have written a book about this topic.

snip shill post
You're a real jerk. And since I've BTDT in regards to middle school, I won't
be buying your stupid book.

Old July 4th 07, 02:54 AM posted to misc.kids
Banty

In article .com, GGildy
says...

"GGildy" wrote in message

oups.com...

It's July! The school year is just around the corner. How do parents
of kids going into middle school get them ready?

Make sure they get enough sleep. Kids this age can stay up half the night
then sleep 'til past noon.

I have written a book about this topic. It's called Managing Middle
School Madness - Helping Parents and Teachers Understand the Wonder
Years(Available on Amazon.com) I have been looking around for
different parent ideas. I'll add my own every day, starting with the
first chapter. The book is just a collection of tip that I am more
than willing to share to get some discussion!

HOW did I ever GUESS that you had something to sell!

Go away. This isn't a group for advertising. And, yes, your ruse is an old one
- weird, rather open-ended post, hoping for discussion, then jump in with - ta
DA - something people are supposed to buy.

Phooey on that.

Banty

Old July 4th 07, 03:12 AM posted to misc.kids
toypup

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 14:40:49 -0700, GGildy wrote:

Unity
By Ray A. Lingenfelter
I dreamed I stood in a studio
And watched two sculptors there.
The clay they used was a young child's mind
And they fashioned it with care.

One was a teacher -- the tools he used
Were books, music, and art.
The other, a parent, worked with a guiding hand,
And a gentle, loving heart.
Day after day, the teacher toiled with touch
That was careful, deft, and sure.
While the parent labored by his side
And polished and smoothed it o'er.

And when, at last, their task was done,
They were proud of what they had wrought.
For the things they had molded into the child
Could neither be sold or bought.

And each agreed they would have failed
If each had worked alone.
For behind the parent stood the school
And behind the teacher, the home.

This really turned me off to the book. Is the whole book like this?
Old July 4th 07, 07:41 AM posted to misc.kids
GGildy

On Jul 3, 8:54 pm, Banty wrote:
In article .com, GGildy
says...

On Jul 3, 2:26 pm, "dejablues" wrote:
"GGildy" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Banty- Hide quoted text -

Sorry everyone - I really don't care if you buy my book. I was
planning on putting it on these pages. I have never done a group
before and I didn't realize that it was a bad thing to do. I will
never mention the book again unless asked. I seriously want to get
input from other parents about what I have written. I am just a
teacher and parent from Duluth, Minnesota - not a salesperson...

Again - Sorry.

Old July 4th 07, 02:09 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

The other thing that I thought of was along the lines of getting good sleep
like Vickie suggested, but to also make sure the kids eat a good breakfast.
I know many kids think they cannot eat in the morning, but they can if they
tried. It helps their brains function and not get so sleepy during the day.
Also, I know many schools don't allow it, but if I could change one thing
with the school systems, it would be to allow the kids water bottles during
the day. Kids get dehydrated and then they get sleepy. They don't listen
well. If they could keep hydrated and had snacks throughout the day, it
would help the kids learn better.
--
Sue

Old July 4th 07, 02:14 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

Sue wrote:
The other thing that I thought of was along the lines of getting good sleep
like Vickie suggested, but to also make sure the kids eat a good breakfast.
I know many kids think they cannot eat in the morning, but they can if they
tried. It helps their brains function and not get so sleepy during the day.
Also, I know many schools don't allow it, but if I could change one thing
with the school systems, it would be to allow the kids water bottles during
the day. Kids get dehydrated and then they get sleepy. They don't listen
well. If they could keep hydrated and had snacks throughout the day, it
would help the kids learn better.

It would also help if schools started at 10:00 in the morning rather
than 8:00 and go two hours later, to coincide better with the kids' body
clocks. Some schools complain about there isn't enough daylight left for
sports in the PM, but they can have the athletes get up early and enjoy
the morning daylight. Or get lights for the fields.

Jeff
Old July 4th 07, 05:23 PM posted to misc.kids
Vickie

On Jul 3, 11:41 pm, GGildy wrote:
On Jul 3, 8:54 pm, Banty wrote:

In article .com, GGildy

[...]