"Time Wasting Rules" - from Real Simple Magazine - NOT GOOD!

Old July 13th 03, 06:25 PM
Michelle J. Haines

Default "Time Wasting Rules" - from Real Simple Magazine - NOT GOOD!

In article , cuhulain__98
@yahoo.com says...
Dawn Lawson wrote in message
[snip]

Your choice of religion is [thankfully] not government-mandated. We chose
formula for all three of my daughter-units based on the information
available to us from sources that we felt offered more balanced opinions
than those being produced by specialty organizations.

Attempting to use the same tired, old, redundant scare tactics that we
tanked my daughter-units potential insert favorite LLL catchphrase or
produced mentally-deficient specimens because we didn't exclusively bf won't
convert us to The Cause any more than it did during that time. We chose
formula for several reasons, mostly because we saw more benefits to using
formula than breastmilk.

Um, weren't you just taking someone to task for trying to read stuff
into YOUR posts. Nothing she said was a personal slam on you, for
crying out loud.

Michelle
Flutist

--
In my heart. By my side.
Never apart. AP with Pride!
Old July 13th 03, 06:54 PM
Cheryl S.

Clisby Williams wrote in message
Banty wrote:
I test INTJ. It absolutely fits.

I test INTJ also.

Another INTJ heard from. ;-)
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 3 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old July 13th 03, 07:02 PM
Night Owl

"The Ranger" wrote in message
Jenn wrote in message
I am always surprised at how strongly resilient my daughter-units
are at my attempts to do what I think is best or right. Each test
often shows they will survive into adulthood despite my (and
many other well-meaning adults) book-based, doctor-supported,
new-age intentions. Go figure.

Meaning what, in the context of this discussion?

Just what it says, nothing more. If you're looking for darker meanings,
you'll have to dig up someone else's posts.

The Ranger

Hey!!! I think her question is fair. Sometimes Ranger you are not very
clear in your posting. I LOVE when you write your stories and articulate
with grand sweeping notions of life and love but in this simple posting I
wondered as well: What are you saying? g

Anni

Old July 13th 03, 07:26 PM
Cheryl S.

just me wrote in message
m...

"Donna Metler" wrote in message
.. .
We're actually a little bit concerned about that for our children,
when we have them-how do you raise children who have
adequate social interaction when you don't really interact
socially much?

I have come to think that children have their temperaments and DS'
is very social. So, we make our sacrifices to ensure that he has
opportunities to play and interact with kids regularly just like some
parents make sacrifices in the sleep or financial depts., among

others.

I worried about this too, since not only both DH and I are introverted,
but Julie appears to be too. We started going to a playgroup regularly
last year, and for many months she actively avoided all the other kids.
My main fear was that she'd end up being as lonely and unhappy
throughout elementary school as I was. This summer though, she has
gotten much more comfortable being around other kids. I think it has a
lot to do with my actively teaching her things she can say to defend
herself in certain situations, and rehearsing them with her. For
example it used to *really* upset her when another kid would take
something she was playing with (which, of course, happens a lot at this
age). Now she has learned the sentence, "Please give that back." She
hasn't had to use it now, of course -- she's also more able to see it
coming and not let the toy get taken to begin with. I'll give DH the
credit for teaching her physical defense skills. ;-)

The other main tactic I've taken is to just expose her to social
situations as much as possible, at least a couple times a week. We go
to playgroups and playgrounds and the library, and all kinds of places
where there are lots of other kids around. While we are there though, I
accept whatever her reaction is. I never push her to do anything she
doesn't feel comfortable doing. If she is particularly clinging to me,
I'll just sit and hold her, and talk to her about what all the other
kids are doing, and how they act toward each other. Just through time,
and exposure, she has gotten more used to how other kids behave and is
much more willing to play among them. We also have plenty of occasions
where there is just one other child, at our house or the other kid's
house, and she does well there.

Now, I still seriously doubt she's ever going to be a social butterfly,
but I am not so worried that she'll be as stressed out as I was, by
having to interact with kids at school. The main thing is, she is happy
now. I think, if your child is happy, what else do you want them to do?
Not everyone needs to be an extrovert to be happy. I think it's more
important to teach your child how to be content with who they are, and
at the same time, how to create change in their lives to improve
anything they aren't happy with.

Old July 13th 03, 10:31 PM
Clisby Williams

just me wrote:

"Cheryl S." wrote in message

I've got several half-finished counted cross stitch projects. Never
seem to make it further than half way on anything though.
CCS is the only thing I've ever learned how to do with a needle, other
than the simplest button or seam repair.

Think small [projects]. Bookmarks, 4x4 inch items. Those tend to come
together quickly and you can actually finish them in the same year [BTDT].
Also, if you like counted xstitch: consider blackwork [which is often not
in black]. It is fun and you don't have to worry about misplacing color,
just following the stitching diagram for placement. They come out quite
beautiful and there are many patterns available on line for free.

-Aula

I would think most people who liked CCS would probably like needlepoint
as well. I've
done needlepoint where I took the design from a CCS book.

Clisby

Old July 13th 03, 10:59 PM
Sue

Cheryl S. wrote in message news:bes69l$8en21
Another INTJ heard from. ;-)

If I knew what that meant, I could probably say that I am too. )

--
Sue
mom to three girls

Old July 13th 03, 11:54 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
Sidheag McCormack wrote:

Phoebe writes:

"Clisby Williams" wrote in message

That's three of us.

Make it 4. Although I can be an ENTJ if I try really, really
hard.

5, or whatever we're up to by now :-)

However E/I in Meyers Briggs doesn't mean quite the same as
introvert/extrovert in common parlance - if it's hard work to behave like
an extrovert, you probably still test I, don't you? I'm in the same boat,
also INTJ (though several of the letters have sometimes come out
differently, depending which test I do, I think this is the one I always
get with full testing - the J is the one which is very strong for me, the T
pretty close to the borderline).

I tentatively hypothesise that (a) INTJs are overrepresented on the
Internet, even now (and maybe Usenet is a form of communication we're
particularly likely to find useful/attractive?); and/or (b) people who are
interested in Meyers Briggs enough to remember what they are are more
likely to be INTJs! I find it fascinating, though I think it's really only
one step above horoscopes - there's plenty of evidence that it's not, in
fact, a good predictor of job success in many fields, for example.

Sidheag

But it wasn't designed to be a predictor of job success -- only a tool
to help people figure out where the stresses would be in working with
people of the various "types".

In terms of choosing a work field, when my college kids took it in a
class for making some decisions about their future, it didn't say "these
are the fields in which you will be successful." It said, "these are
the fields in which people with your "type" tend to be highly
represented; these other fields tend to have few successful people of
your "type". If you choose a job in one of the fields without many
folks like you, you may find this career very stressful."

I have avoided taking it because I was (briefly) working with someone
who treated the MBTI like Revealed Truth -- he had his own initials
carved in wood and displayed on his desk, and insisted that he couldn't
work with anyone without knowing their "type". However, I know that it
is a tool with some good uses -- and, because it became so popular,
probably even more MISuses!

Old July 14th 03, 12:15 AM
Phoebe & Allyson

Sidheag McCormack wrote:

if it's hard work to behave like
an extrovert, you probably still test I, don't you?

I've actually tested E once. If I make the effort to be an
extrovert for an extended period of time, I enjoy it. If I
test relatively soon thereafter, that enjoyment comes
through in the test. But most of the time, I don't make the
effort, and remember how much work it is to be around a
crowd, rather than the payoff for that work.

I think it's really only
one step above horoscopes

An organizational psychologist I know describes it as a
parlor trick -- good for breaking the ice, but worthless for
actually accomplishing anything.

Phoebe

Old July 14th 03, 12:47 AM
Cheryl S.

Sue wrote:
Cheryl S. wrote in message news:bes69l$8en21
Another INTJ heard from. ;-)

If I knew what that meant, I could probably say that I am too. )

However, you didn't say what kind of needlework you do.

Old July 14th 03, 02:10 AM
just me

"ºFree~Spiritº" Free@Spirit wrote in message
news

BTW you guys ever do a thread on parents getting over-scheduled? g

I thought *all* parents were overscheduled. Who missed out on that????

-Aula

---

At 3:22 am mom & son nancy Pregnancy 1 December 20th 03 06:57 PM
"Time Wasting Rules" - from Real Simple Magazine - NOT GOOD! Corinne General 138 July 25th 03 09:31 PM