Kids drinking out of a garden hose

Old July 31st 03, 05:18 AM
Beeswing

Default Kids drinking out of a garden hose

We just had a girl come over for a play date with our daughter. She'd never
been here before, so I tried to be extra conscientious about things like not
letting her go out of our yard unwatched, me dropping in to check in with them
frequently, those sorts of things (both kids are 8, btw). My husband took them
for a long walk to the beach, and, because he was carrying no water, let the
kids drink out of garden hoses on the way there and back. He did not know (or
ask) the people who owned the hoses if this was okay.

I would not have presumed to use another person's hose without asking, and I
would not have assumed, especially for somebody else's kid, that the water was
safe to drink. I think he did the wrong thing. He thinks I'm crazy. The other
girl's parent, as it turned out, laughed about the whole thing when he heard
about it later. But that's not the point.

My husband claims that it never would have occurred to him that *anyone* would
think that the kids shouldn't be drinking out of garden hoses. I find that hard
to believe; in fact, I'm not even convinced drinking water out of a hose is
necessarily safe. He wants me to ask here if anyone else besides me would mind
having their kid drinking out of a hose. So does anyone here have an opinion?

Please, moderators, let this have enough parenting content! This is
something I need to know!

beeswing,
hitting SEND

Old July 31st 03, 05:31 AM
Beeswing

My husband wants me to clarify that it was only one hose at only one house and
the water was already running. For what it's worth. (As far as I'm concerned:
Absolutely nothing.)

We await your wise guidance, members of mkm.

beeswing

Old July 31st 03, 11:12 AM
illecebra

I grew up drinking out of my parents' hose on hot summer days, and
would let my son do the same. However, the same does not hold true
for random stragers' hoses, especially on older homes where lead pipes
might not have been replaced where they only lead to an outdoor faucet
if the homeowner doesn't normally drink from the hose.

just my $0.02

Susan

Old July 31st 03, 11:13 AM
Scott Lindstrom

Beeswing wrote:
[...]

If I understand this, your BH had 2 thirsty kids and walked by
a running hose, and they drank from it?

I'm not sure what's objectionable about this, speaking as someone
who drank from a hose a lot while young. My kids have drunk
water from hoses as well. As long as the water supply is okay --
and we live in a city with good water -- I don't see a problem.

I mean, the hose wasn't lying in a festering pool of manure before
they drank, was it? I'm not sure why it wouldn't be safe.

Scott DD 10 and DS 7

Old July 31st 03, 11:13 AM
just me

"Beeswing" wrote in message
[...]

Well......*I* have a real issue with people just traipsing into my yard just
because they feel like they have a right to but do not know me, do not care
to meet me, and are not there to interact with me. And, if they also feel
the need to avail themselves of the water which I have to pay to use they
are doubly in my bad graces. That is impolite, at best. Now, if they rang
my bell and asked me I'd be thrilled to get them a drink of cold water from
my fridge, especially if kids were involved. It's all about boundaries and
being considerate, imo.

Now, otoh, my husband would probably not have any issue with all of that. I
say that because when I blew up when the neighborhood kids were cutting
through our yard on their way home from school [at a previous home] he did
not see that as a boundary violation but being smart since there were no
sidewalks and the street was quite busy.

And, just to throw something else into the mix, you do not know what has
been flowing through that hose nor what has been in contact with it
recently. It is quite possible that that lawn had been recently treated
with pesticides and the hose was covered with them. It would be quite
unhealthy for those pesticides to be ingested.

-Aula

---

Old July 31st 03, 11:14 AM
LarryDoc

In article ,
(Beeswing) wrote:

[...]

Here's my thinking:

There are three issues with garden hoses. The first is whether or not
the material it's made of is safe for drinking water applications. Some
are, some clearly are not. (I believe in the last few years, USA
regulations require appropriate labeling.)

The second is whether or not there is water sitting in the hose that
would be consumed. That is potentially a more significant problem.
Sitting water in a hose not "approved" for drinking water is a double
no-no.

The third is that, especially in older homes, the plumbing to outside
hose bibs is not necessarily nice hosehold copper and might more likely
be galvanized pipe and, if old enough, using lead solder.

In general, I would not drink from a hose *at all* and even if it was an
"approved" material, I would let the water run through, clear and cool
before drinking.

A simpler solution is to disconnect the hose and drink from the hose
bib, with the #3 caveat. Of course, in an emergency, one might have to
make some concessions.

--Larry

--

Dr. Larry Bickford, O.D.
Family Practice Optometry Eye & Vision Care

Old July 31st 03, 11:14 AM
just me

"Beeswing" wrote in message
[...]

/follows up on own answer because insomnia reminds me:

You also have no certainty that the hose is running potable water. Around
here a lot of folks are using "gray water" to water lawns. That is water
that has been recycled through the city sewage plant. They require
homeowners to sign that no one will be using it for drinking or cooking due
to it's source. We also have a number of folks with artesian wells to water
lawns and you wouldn't want to drink that water ever ever ever.

And, as if that isn't enough.....I have enough trouble getting my own kid to
turn off the hose when he is done with it. I am assuming that the hose that
was found running was attached to a sprinkler, which would be the only
reason I could see someone leaving a hose running unattended for more than a
few seconds. Do they want to get the blame from the irate home owner coming
outside for leaving the hose on for who knows how long and high water bills
etc etc etc when it was little johnny who lives there and was filling up his
squirt gun a half hour ago? Do they [does anyone] want to deal with that
irate homeowner? Once again, boundaries are my issue here. I'm not saying
that your spouse went in, undid the sprinkler and took a drink, etc. Just
pointing out possible areas where homeowners could readily take issue.

-Aula

---

Old July 31st 03, 01:21 PM
Allen McIntosh

In article ,
Beeswing wrote:
My husband wants me to clarify that it was only one hose at only one house and
the water was already running. For what it's worth. (As far as I'm concerned:
Absolutely nothing.)
We await your wise guidance, members of mkm.

OK, I'll bite :-)

In the spring when I pump out the low spots in our back yard (lest
ducks and the local Canada goose flock take up residence) the garden
hoses are used to carry the (rather muddy) water to the street. Ditto
for the winter when the normal sump pump exhaust pipe freezes.

I don't let kids drink out of them.

[Wasn't there a recent article in Consumers Reports on trace chemicals
leaching into the water?]

Old July 31st 03, 03:22 PM
Beeswing

Aula wrote:

I am assuming that the hose that
was found running was attached to a sprinkler, which would be the only
reason I could see someone leaving a hose running unattended for more than a
few seconds.

It was just sitting out next to the sidewalk, running. There was nothing
attached to the end of it.

beeswing

Fighting Over Kids Stepdad1963 General 8 May 5th 04 07:15 PM
WSJ: How to Give Your Child A Longer Life Jean B. General 0 December 9th 03 07:10 PM
Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school? Vicki General 215 November 1st 03 10:07 PM
FWD bad judgement or abuse Trunk kids begged to ride Kane General 2 August 5th 03 05:54 PM