could he be color blind?

Old May 10th 05, 08:34 PM
jojo

Default could he be color blind?

My 2.5 year old DS has an issue....

He is bright, and functions at the level of 3-3.5 year olds in every level.
He is also big for his age, so most folks are surprised to learn he is
younger.

His problem is colors. He always gets yellow, and orange, but other colors
are an issue.
Red, blue, green...nope. He just does not get it. We have tried everything.
We have even tried sorting games with skittles.
he does wonderful with counting them, but can't sort them in colors. (except
for the yellow and orange ones)
We try to make colors fun and make no issues of it when he does not know
them. But lately he seems to
get frustrated when we ask about a color. When asked, he will often try
guessing a few colors, then saying, "mommy, I just don't know"
and not wanting to play that game anymore.
Is this something that kids between 2.5 and 3.5 just don't get yet. We have
backed off colors just because
it frustrates him so.

Family history for the paternal side does not have any indication of color
blindness.
on the maternal side, his grandparents are not, and his great grandparents
were all born blind or made blind at
an age too early to tell.

jo

Old May 10th 05, 08:42 PM
Circe

"jojo" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

He's much too young to be worrying about this yet, IMO. I seem to recall
that the ability to name colors with reasonable accuracy is closer to a 4yo
skill (and maybe even an after-4yo skill) than anything to be expected of a
2.5yo. Some 2.5's get it just fine, but many don't without being color
blind.

FWIW, my 3y2m son seems to know all the colors but often answers incorrectly
when asked what color something is. It's like that question doesn't make
sense to him. He also occasionally calls green "red" and "red" green (which
I know is a color-blindness thing), but since he gets them right more often
than not, I'm not at all concerned. It's my understanding that confusing the
colors that are at opposite ends of the spectrum is fairly common in young
kids, even if they aren't color blind.

I think you're wise to back off and would advise you not to worry about it
for at least another year, maybe longer. And really, if he *is* color blind,
there's nothing to be done about it, so worrying about it is a total waste
of effort and energy!
--
Be well, Barbara

Old May 10th 05, 08:57 PM
Jeff

True color blindness is rare. Almost everyone can pick up the basic colors.

What is called colorblindness is the inability to tell the difference
between certain shades of green.

If you are still worried about this when your son's next well child check is
due, talk to his pediatrician.

Jeff

Old May 10th 05, 09:01 PM
Welches

"jojo" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Wouldn't worry. #1 suddenly got her colours at 2.5. She had a friend a year
younger who knew his colours a couple of weeks before she did! The
difference was she seemed to go from knowing no colours, to knowing
all-including things like beige and scarlet etc in a week. The earlier
children learnt the basic primary colours and then later got other colours.
We joke that she knew her letters, (lower and upper case) and could count to
20 before she knew her colours. Heck, she could read the word "yellow"
before she could pick the word out (and "red" and "purple" the same week she
learnt them!)
It's just what interests them, and she was more interested in writng and
reading than colours. It'll come.
One the other hand #2 (18 months) knows pink, but no other colours. Blame
the big sister for that one! :-)
Debbie

Old May 10th 05, 09:18 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi-

If his maternal grandfather is NOT colorblind, then it's unlikely that
your son is. HOWEVER, there are some simple tests for colorblindness!
As long as he can recognize shapes or patterns, then he can look at the
dot test (multicolored dots) and tell you whether he sees the pattern or
not.

The following web site has some information:

http://webexhibits.org/causesofcolor/2.html

It may help to clarify matters for you. However, because computer
monitors vary in their color displays, do NOT use the pictures on the
web site to diagnose your son! Instead, ask for a referral to an eye
doctor if you continue to think he's got this particular issue.

I think, on the other hand, that sometimes kids just take a while to
learn their colors.

I hope this helps,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old May 10th 05, 09:26 PM
Melania

Jeff wrote:
True color blindness is rare. Almost everyone can pick up the basic

colors.

What is called colorblindness is the inability to tell the difference

between certain shades of green.

I was under the impression that this was called red-green colour
blindness. I've never heard of people not being able to see *any*
colours, although I'm sure it must occur.

Red-green colour blindness runs in my family. In this case, it isn't
the inability to tell between shades of green, but rather that most
shades of green AND red look like shades of brown. So, my brother who
is colour blind can't see bright red flowers in a green field, can't
tell if someone has red hair (it looks like a shade of light brown or
blond to him), and can't tell a pale pink or pale mint green shirt from
a beige one.

If he focuses and concentrates, my brother can pick the red flowers out
as being a rustier shade of brown than the grass. He can tell red and
green traffic lights apart in the same way - they look like slightly
ruddier and slightly more olive shades of brown. For that, though, he
mostly goes by where they're located.

Red-green colour blindness is x-gene recessive.
http://www.musckids.com/health_libra...tics/xlink.htm I don't know
if I'm a carrier, but there's a chance that my sons might end up with
it.

FWIW, my 28 mo knows yellow and blue very well, but tends to hesitate
with red and green. However, as my mom the primary school teacher
reminds me, the ability to reliably tell one's colours is part of the
screen they do for kids entering kindergarten - your 2.5 yo doesn't
need to know it yet!

If they are colour blind, it's really not that big a deal (although
they can make some interesting clothing choices later in life!).

Here's a test for colour blindness that I dug up - I remembered
something like this being in the Childcraft Encyclopedia series when I
was a kid.

http://www.liquidgeneration.com/sabo...n_sabotage.asp

You could go through these with your son and see if he recognizes the
numbers (not saying he knows 12, for instance, but my 28 mo can
reliably pick out 1 and 5, thanks to our elevator buttons . . . )

Good luck,
Melania
Mom to Joffre (Jan 11, 2003)
and #2 (edd May 21, 2005)

Old May 10th 05, 09:31 PM
Melania

BIG oops - I linked a colour blindness test in my last post (which
hasn't turned up yet) without going through the whole test. The last
question pops up a nasty scary face, so I wouldn't recommend showing
the link to any children. Soooo sorry; it didn't occur to me to bother
going through the whole thing first.

Still, though, legitimate online colour blindness tests are out there,
and might be helpful.

Sorry again, to anyone who goes through that test; it gave me a really
nasty shock and I feel terrible for having linked it without fully
checking it out first.

Melania
Mom to Joffre (Jan 11, 2003)
and #2 (edd May 21, 2005)

Old May 10th 05, 09:33 PM
Melania

snip

Piggybacking to say, again, don't use the test at this link. If I'd
even bothered to read the link, I wouldn't have used it.

http://www.liquidgeneration.com/sabo...n_sabotage.asp

again, apologies.

sheepishly blaming pregnancy brain.

Melania
Mom to Joffre (Jan 11, 2003)
and #2 (edd May 21, 2005)

Old May 10th 05, 09:48 PM
Nikki

jojo wrote:
My 2.5 year old DS has an issue....

He is bright, and functions at the level of 3-3.5 year olds in every
level. He is also big for his age, so most folks are surprised to
learn he is younger.

I think you are in for a lot of frustration of you expect him to excell in
every single area!

His problem is colors. He always gets yellow, and orange, but other
colors are an issue.

He is to young to be expected to know all his colors.

But lately he seems to
get frustrated when we ask about a color. When asked, he will often
try guessing a few colors, then saying, "mommy, I just don't know"
and not wanting to play that game anymore.

Aww..it is a lot of pressure to always be asked to play games you don't know
the answer to...especially if you usually know all the answers to other
things!

We have backed off colors just because
it frustrates him so.

:-) No sense in frustrating him I agree. Just go to pointing out colors.
My kids used to like to do a grab bag. Reach in and get a piece of felt and
match it to something in the room that was the same color.

I don't think you need to worry about not knowing colors until the child is
4yo or so.

--
Nikki

Old May 10th 05, 10:00 PM
jojo

I think you are in for a lot of frustration of you expect him to excell in
every single area!

I don't excepct him to, he just does. I don't care if he gets his colors
yet. I'm concerend about working on
colors if it's physically impossible for him, which is why I was asking if
this is normal. I certinaly don't want to push
him to hard in any direction.

His problem is colors. He always gets yellow, and orange, but other
colors are an issue.

He is to young to be expected to know all his colors.

That's what I was asking.....Since this could be a deleopmental issue at
this age, I'll not worry so much till much later...

But lately he seems to
get frustrated when we ask about a color. When asked, he will often
try guessing a few colors, then saying, "mommy, I just don't know"
and not wanting to play that game anymore.

Aww..it is a lot of pressure to always be asked to play games you don't

know
the answer to...especially if you usually know all the answers to other
things!

And when he gets frustrated with it, we stop and go on to other things
immediatly.

We have backed off colors just because
it frustrates him so.

:-) No sense in frustrating him I agree. Just go to pointing out colors.
My kids used to like to do a grab bag. Reach in and get a piece of felt

and
match it to something in the room that was the same color.

That sound like fun too.....we will try that in a couple of months..let him
get past his frustration first..

I don't think you need to worry about not knowing colors until the child

is
4yo or so.

Good. That seems to be the general agreement.
Thanks Nikki,
jojo