Announcing Gwendolyn Beatrice

Old April 11th 04, 06:36 PM
Irene

Default Announcing Gwendolyn Beatrice

(I posted to mkp last night, and forgot to cross post. But, this time
I just have a napping baby on me, and have 2 hands for typing, so
it'll be a little longer!)

Gwendolyn Beatrice was born 4/8/04, at 1:53 pm.
8 lbs, 8 oz.
21.5" long

Breastfeeding is going well. She's doing a lot of cluster-feeding,
which is nice because is give me big gaps, but difficult since I'm
having a hard time judging when the cluster of feeds is actually over!
;-) The LC's at the hospital were both happy to hear that ds weaned
at 2.5. They were both there when I had ds, so it was good to see
them again.

One interesting wrinkle I hadn't expected - after she was born, her
respiratory rate was high, so they wouldn't let me feed her until it
was below 60. Fortunately, that happened in about 3 hours, and she
was still happy and ready to feed. I was worried, especially when the
LC mentioned that if she couldn't feed soon, I might need to start
pumping, and she'd be fed with a tube. But, at least since they were
worried about aspirating, bottles wouldn't be an issue!

Other interesting things - since (as some of you may remember) I'd
been nursing one-sidedly for about a year and a half, it's been
interesting to see how that affected how my milk has been coming in.
One of the comments from the LC I saw on day 2 was that since ds had
weaned so recently, I probably wouldn't have as much engorgement,
since my boddy would remember. But, since the right side weaned much
earlier, I figuerd that might be different! ;-) At first, I didn't
really notice a difference, but last night, the right side really got
engorged. Not quite as much as the first time around, but definitely
painful. I did nurse quite a bit on that side to try and get it down.
But, now it seems to have evened out. It seems like that side is
still slower, so I'm trying to use it about twice as long as the
other, to keep them even. Here's hoping that strategy works out!

Ds has not expressed an interest in tasting the mommy milk, now that
it's back. I figured it was a toss-up, so I'm not terribly surprised.
He seems quite content to leave it to Gwendolyn now.

It's funny - he was very prepared that Gwendolyn is his little sister.
What kind of threw him was the idea that I'm also Gwendolyn's mommy,
not just Tommy's mommy! He seems to have absorbed that concept,
however... He still adorse her, even though he's starting to compete
for attention. Fortunately, my sister is here to play with him and
help out, so he's getting plenty of attention, and I'm also making
sure to give him lots of love!

I have a few minutes, so I may head over to mkp for a birth story...

Irene
mom to Thomas 7/10/01
& Gwendolyn 4/8/04

Old April 13th 04, 09:12 PM
A&G&K

"Irene" wrote in message
om...
(I posted to mkp last night, and forgot to cross post. But, this time
I just have a napping baby on me, and have 2 hands for typing, so
it'll be a little longer!)

Gwendolyn Beatrice was born 4/8/04, at 1:53 pm.
8 lbs, 8 oz.
21.5" long

Congratulations
Amanda

--
DD 15th August 2002
1 tiny angel Nov 2003

Announcing Gwendolyn Beatrice! Irene Pregnancy 19 April 13th 04 01:49 AM
Announcing and thank you Gorgon Park Pregnancy 12 October 23rd 03 07:22 PM
Announcing Liam Irish Marie Pregnancy 19 August 10th 03 07:24 AM
Announcing Drake - Drake.pps [0/3] Truffles Pregnancy 4 August 10th 03 07:20 AM
Announcing.... Truffles Pregnancy 7 July 31st 03 08:41 PM