Terbutaline anyone?

Old February 7th 06, 09:20 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Default Terbutaline anyone?

Hi,

my wife is into her 32 weeks with twins and few days ago, our doctor
observed that she is having frequent contractions (which were not very
obvious to my wife). She has put her on Terbutaline tablet (5 mg) every 6
hrs. I wanted to know if anyone is taking it or anyone has taken it in past.
Or if anyone know that it has any side effects on babies. There is lot of
material on the internet. Some people support it and then there are people
who blame problems in their new born child to Terbutaline.

Any past first hand or second hand experience would be useful.

Thanks,
Deepak

Old February 8th 06, 03:25 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 14:20:57 -0600, "Deepak Kapur"
wrote:

She has put her on Terbutaline tablet (5 mg) every 6
hrs. I wanted to know if anyone is taking it or anyone has taken it in past.
Or if anyone know that it has any side effects on babies. There is lot of
material on the internet. Some people support it and then there are people
who blame problems in their new born child to Terbutaline.

Any past first hand or second hand experience would be useful.

I took oral terbutaline (10 mg) as needed, which turned out to be a
pill or two daily for many weeks, with my last pregnancy. The side
effects are yucky and your wife has my sympathy.

As for the baby, he was born at 35 weeks and is now eight months old
and perfectly healthy. His development is also completely normal.

I read a lot too, and determined that, for my family, the potential
benefit of carrying my baby close to term far outweighed any other
risks. His twin sisters were born at 26 weeks, and I didn't want to
risk having my son that early.

FWIW, it was my OB who prescribed the terb. My perinatologist said
that if I ever starting needing it around the clock, he would
hospitalize me and put me on mag sulfate instead, as he doesn't
believe that terbutaline stops actual preterm labor, even if it slows
contractions down. Good luck making the decision that's right for your
family, and congratulations on the babies :-)

--
Paula
Mom to Olivia and Cassie (b. 4/8/03 @ 26 weeks)
Old February 20th 06, 02:19 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Hi I am the mom to b/g twins and they came out just fine with me taking
the terbutaline they would never have made it into the world with out
it. They are heathy 5 month olds and yes they were early but they would
have been born to early with out my meds.

Old February 20th 06, 03:35 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

, as he doesn't
believe that terbutaline stops actual preterm labor, even if it slows
contractions down.

Very interesting....

HI Paula, how are you?? HOw are the kids?? Everyone here is doing great!
I can't believe that your son is 8 months already! How time flies.

Hope all is well.

Leann

Old February 20th 06, 07:23 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Thanks for the reassurance. It feels a good to hear from someone who has
experienced it first hand.

Thanks,
Deepak

oups.com...

Terbutaline? Ilse Witch Pregnancy 1 April 6th 04 09:00 PM
Terbutaline Tracy Pregnancy 7 August 6th 03 07:19 PM