How do you start reading to twin infants?

Old February 10th 06, 03:32 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Default How do you start reading to twin infants?

I keep reading artcles that say that you should really be reading to
your babies a lot starting at 6 months. My twin boys just turned 6
months and I'm dying to read to them. The problem is that I want to
give some personal attention to them while I read. Let them sit in my
lap and look at the book while I read and point to things and talk to
them. How do I do this with two?

Old February 10th 06, 07:39 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

On 10 Feb 2006 06:32:43 -0800, "TwinzMom"
wrote:

I keep reading artcles that say that you should really be reading to
your babies a lot starting at 6 months. My twin boys just turned 6
months and I'm dying to read to them. The problem is that I want to
give some personal attention to them while I read. Let them sit in my
lap and look at the book while I read and point to things and talk to
them. How do I do this with two?

We started reading to our twins a lot earlier than that. The main
thing was that, every night, before we turned out the light, we read
each of them a book. We've never stopped doing that, and we don't
plan to, at least until they hit their teens and don't want us to
anymore.

Sometimes, we read to both of them while they sit together on my lap.
Other times, we can read to one of them while the other is busy
playing. If the other decides to join, we just let him/her climb on
our lap and read to the two of them.

I strongly recommend reading to the kids at a young age. My daughter
started loving books as a baby and began pretend reading before she
turned 2. Now, in first grade, she's reading at a 3rd or 4th grade
level. My son's not quite as avid a reader, but he's been getting
more and more into it, and he reads quite well.
--
-Seth Jackson, proud father of Derek and Mariel(10/1/99). Pictures at:
http://hitmeister.home.mindspring.co...ypictures.html

Music links: www.mp3.com/SethJackson
www.mp3.com/loudspeaker
www.SethJackson.net
Old February 11th 06, 03:01 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

"The problem is that I want to
give some personal attention to them while I read. Let them sit in my
lap and look at the book while I read and point to things and talk to
them. How do I do this with two?"

There's no reason you *have* to do this with both of them at once
before they're ready to sit one on each side of you. Just pick up one
of them for a story while the other one is playing. They may or may not
get the point yet -- six months really is pretty young for this kind of
thing. If they're not ready to amuse themselves for the length of time
it takes you to read the other one a short board book, then it's
probably not quite time yet. At six months mine weren't sitting up yet,
and only just beginning to get a start on crawling, so if I'm
remembering correctly, they were only happy on their own for as long
they could lie on their backs and hang onto one toy, but that changed
pretty soon after.

Later on one or both may go through a stage where they really won't
listen to anything very long. Toddlers have very different attention
spans for this kind of thing. It doesn't mean they will never be
interested in books -- my son wouldn't sit through anything at two, and
by three he would listen to quite long stories. (I may be
misremembering the ages by now, but it was certainly something like
that. Maybe 18 months and 2.5.)

--Helen

Old February 11th 06, 05:14 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

On 2006-02-10 09:32:43 -0500, "TwinzMom" said:

I keep reading artcles that say that you should really be reading to
your babies a lot starting at 6 months. My twin boys just turned 6
months and I'm dying to read to them. The problem is that I want to
give some personal attention to them while I read. Let them sit in my
lap and look at the book while I read and point to things and talk to
them. How do I do this with two?

We would either put them on our laps or read to them when they were in
their cribs (same room).

Old February 12th 06, 02:38 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Delurking here...we read what we wanted to read. I read the whole volume of
Sherlock Holmes books each night as I put them to bed, also went through the
book of the complete works of All Things Great and Small. The twins loved
to sit and just listen to my voice reading. I ususally read to them when
they went to bed. Even when little we read to them at night with a reading
lite as not to keep them awake. I'd sit on the floor between the two beds
and read. You can read the newspaper to catch up on current events, the
latest newsweek and so on. Until they start to associate WHAT you are
reading I don't think it matters. Now as to them becoming avid readers I
don't know. My son loves reading only hit and miss a favorite topic or book
but then gets bored. His sister loves reading and can get lost doing so
after school. Since both my DH and I are avid readers (he is a teacher and
inhales one book after the other - sometimes 3 at a time), I can only hope
that eventually my son will enjoy it as much as the 3 of us do. Now, give
Chris an art project to do, or a building project to work on and you can't
move the child even to eat. I think eventually their own personalities will
take over.

Shirley
Kathleen and Chris 1/23/95

oups.com...

Old February 14th 06, 03:20 PM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

Thank you. This was helpful.

Old February 15th 06, 12:37 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

On 14 Feb 2006 06:20:03 -0800, "TwinzMom"
wrote:

Thank you. This was helpful.

Glad I could help. As you can tell, we're big believers in reading
and education. That attitude can't help but rub off on the kids.

It doesn't hurt that we live in a neighborhood that's 60% Taiwanese.
In their culture, education is considered paramount. This value is
reflected in our public school system.

Old February 20th 06, 03:27 AM posted to alt.parenting.twins-triplets

I sit one on each leg and "read" I put read in quotes because they are
constantly turning the pages, so I have to just point and identify as much
as I can in the short amount of time they give me ;-) I have to sit in a
chair because if I do it on the floor they will crawl away or get busy with
something else. (my b/g twins are 18 months/15 months adjusted, so they are
going to be a bit more active than yours ;-) I also have a 3 year old that
"reads" to them too :-)

Leann

oups.com...