Gas in BF baby

Old November 1st 07, 12:16 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsey@delete_nospamnelgin.nu

Default Gas in BF baby

You've seen me once and my husband a couple of times. Sorry I never
responded about my original post (I think Anne replied to that one,
about a nipple shield my midwife gave me - thanks!). You know how it
is...

My latest "problem" is that my exclusively BF son, John, 10 weeks
today, has very painful gas every morning. It is relieved, of course,
by the poop that he holds all night (thank goodness). He started the
change on poop patern about 2 or 3 weeks ago; he still has frequent
poops the rest of the day. I was thinking the gas was due to a thrush
infection (which may or may not have been imagined, but I think that
is out of the picture now), but now I realize it may be related to the
change in pooping.

I have started to realize that I'm having to burp him a lot as well,
which is annoying. Unless he happens to fall asleep in the car or on a
walk in his stroller, he will only fall asleep at the breast, which is
fine with me ATM. We co-sleep and he stays in bed (except for a couple
of diaper changes) about 12 hours a night, so I'm feeding him quite a
bit at night and of course not burping him at the end of a feed.

So, I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to lessen the gas (he
cries out in pain - and neither he nor I is ready to get up, but I get
him up and change his diaper so he can get that poop out, then back to
bed for his morning nap . I'm wondering if he's swallowing too much
air while nursing (maybe just side-lying nursing, but that seems to be
the main position these days as he has started the distractable
phase), and I'm not getting it all out via burping. Any thoughts?

I am leaning towards poor latch, then not enough burping. I don't
think his latch is the greatest, but he's gaining weight like a champ
- 13 lbs 6 ounces at his 2-month wbv after a 8lbs 3 oz birthweight. I
have big boobs, so big nipples, and he's pulling off quite a bit,
which doesn't hurt at the time but after a bit, they are pretty pink
and slightly burny (hence why I thought I/we had thrush).

JIC, I'm trying to cut out dairy. I did it half-heartedly in the early
days but didn't think it was making a difference, and I'm not seeing
any other allergic behavior - no allergy ring at least, and the gas is
only in the morning. He has developed eczema on his face, now that I
think of it.

TIA (and thanks for wadign through the long post!),

Betsey
Old November 2nd 07, 04:54 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Beth Kevles

Hi --

Take the baby in to confirm a diagnosis of eczema. It could easily be
something else. Eczema tends to indicate allergies (although it doesn't
always) so needs to be taken seriously. Although the allergy could as
easily be to the soap used in his bedding or something like that.

Gas only in the morning sounds as though he needs to burp better at
bedtimme. Might be time to teach him to fall asleep with his mouth
empty, if he hasn't learned already. Then he can nurse, burp, then lie
down to sleep.

I'd be surprised if millk allergy was an issue. However, it doesn't
really tell you anything if you eliminate milk (or any other suspected
allergen) "half-heartedly". You have no way of knowing how much (or
little) your baby can tolerate. Some kids are hair-trigger, others can
handle a mug of hot chocolate (on nursing mom's part) every day. If you
really suspect a food allergen, eliminate it RUTHLESSLY.

Hope these thoughts help,
--Beth Kevles
-THE-COM-HERE

NOTE: No email is read at my MIT address. Use the GMAIL one if you would
like me to reply.
Old November 2nd 07, 05:00 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chris

On Oct 31, 7:16?pm, wrote:
[...]

I have no experience with food allergies/dairy allergies, so I can't
speak by experience there. I know that when my first 2 had thrush,
they had the thrush diaper rashes too.

I do know that some babies just make a big production out of pooping;
they don't like the feelings they get as their systems get on the
ready for going either. My first son was one of them and I was
convinced he had issues, but his ped said that some babies just don't
like those feelings of things moving through/prepping and can make it
a big deal, but he probably should be burped after a night feeding to
cut down on the uncomfortable feeling they can be left with having air
stuck there trying to get out and up. All 3 of mine took a long time
to burp. They did better if we saved the diaper change until after the
feeding and initial burp run where we then laid them down for the
change, moved their legs a bit, relaxed a minute, and then resumed
burping. I would think if it were an allergy, he would be having
issues all day and night, not just at night.

Old November 3rd 07, 07:50 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

On 02 Nov 2007 03:54:22 GMT, (Beth Kevles) wrote:

Hi --

Take the baby in to confirm a diagnosis of eczema. It could easily be
something else. Eczema tends to indicate allergies (although it doesn't
always) so needs to be taken seriously. Although the allergy could as
easily be to the soap used in his bedding or something like that.

I discovered it was eczema when the ped told us "He has eczema."

Gas only in the morning sounds as though he needs to burp better at
bedtimme. Might be time to teach him to fall asleep with his mouth
empty, if he hasn't learned already. Then he can nurse, burp, then lie
down to sleep.

Yeah, I think he is laid back enough to do this, but we'll take it at
his pace.

I'd be surprised if millk allergy was an issue. However, it doesn't
really tell you anything if you eliminate milk (or any other suspected
allergen) "half-heartedly". You have no way of knowing how much (or
little) your baby can tolerate. Some kids are hair-trigger, others can
handle a mug of hot chocolate (on nursing mom's part) every day. If you
really suspect a food allergen, eliminate it RUTHLESSLY.

I said "half-heartedly" because I kept forgetting, and by the time I
steeled myself to avoid all things dairy, the problem in question was
resolved, th I determeined dairy was not the problem. But, as you say,
eczema is ususally indicative of allergies, so I suppose some
elimination will be necessary. I don't have enough self-discipline to
do it for myself, but for my son...

Thanks.

Old November 3rd 07, 07:57 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsey@delete_nospamnelgin.nu

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 21:00:00 -0700, Chris
wrote:

On Oct 31, 7:16?pm, wrote:
[...]

Yes, he has had a yeasty rash. I treated with GSE and acidopholus, and
the other very mild symptoms have gone away.

I do know that some babies just make a big production out of pooping;
they don't like the feelings they get as their systems get on the
ready for going either. My first son was one of them and I was
convinced he had issues, but his ped said that some babies just don't
like those feelings of things moving through/prepping and can make it
a big deal, but he probably should be burped after a night feeding to
cut down on the uncomfortable feeling they can be left with having air
stuck there trying to get out and up. All 3 of mine took a long time
to burp. They did better if we saved the diaper change until after the
feeding and initial burp run where we then laid them down for the
change, moved their legs a bit, relaxed a minute, and then resumed
burping. I would think if it were an allergy, he would be having
issues all day and night, not just at night.

My DH tends to be better at getting the "deep" burps out than me. I
suppose when he is able to fall asleep himself rather than at the
breast this will be easier to implement. I hate having to burp or
change him between a feed and him falling asleep.

Thanks!
Old November 3rd 07, 05:20 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chris

On Nov 3, 2:57?am, wrote:
On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 21:00:00 -0700, Chris
wrote:

On Oct 31, 7:16?pm,
wrote:
[...]

Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

If he has the yeast-type rash on his bottom, then he probably needs a
medication, such as Oxystat for the bottom and/or nystatin that you
wipe in the mouth (very little goes down), and not just treat the
external symptoms. He could be crying due to urine hitting that type
of a rash - it burns. A bacterial imbalance in the digestive tract can
cause excessive gas. What is GSE? When the rash appears on the bottom
after a bout of thrush, that means it has worked its way through the
digestive system - not just in the mouth and not just on the bottom.

Old November 5th 07, 07:17 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
betsey@delete_nospamnelgin.nu

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 09:20:59 -0700, Chris
wrote:

If he has the yeast-type rash on his bottom, then he probably needs a
medication, such as Oxystat for the bottom and/or nystatin that you
wipe in the mouth (very little goes down), and not just treat the
external symptoms. He could be crying due to urine hitting that type
of a rash - it burns. A bacterial imbalance in the digestive tract can
cause excessive gas. What is GSE? When the rash appears on the bottom
after a bout of thrush, that means it has worked its way through the
digestive system - not just in the mouth and not just on the bottom.

GSE - Grapefruit Seed Extract, see
www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/thrush.asp

And we were treating systemically with acidopholus.

At the beginning, I thought the gas was due to thrush. But at the wbv,
the ped said she saw no sign of thrush, and my nipples had been
feeling better. The slightly sore nipples could have been due to him
pulling off - I never was quite sure of the self-diagnosis, and I
think we either got rid of it or never had it.

Thanks,

Betsey
Old November 7th 07, 06:24 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chris

wrote:

[...]

*YOU* were only taking the GSE and acidophilus then? You need to check
with a real live doc on giving it for ingestion to a 10-week old for
certain. This is what I find pertaining to it - and it appears that
the instructions for dilution on Dr. JG's site is doubly stronger than
recommended here (and it reports there can be toxicity and it can be
extremely irritating to skin and mucous membranes). It also indicates
that its use in pregnant and nursing women has not been studied, so I
assume it has not been studied in infants yet either.

http://www.supplementnews.org/grapefruit-seed/index.htm

Nystatin was effective for both of my kids, and even though it may
have added sugar to improve the taste, the tiny bit on a Q-tip for
application was extremely minimal.

The acidophilus is generally recommended to simply replace the good
bacteria (flora) in the system that the yeast knocks out when it takes
over -- it doesn't get rid of a yeast infection -- only helps to
repopulate the system again with the good bacteria. Not to mention
that breastmilk is chockful of sugar no matter what you personally
consume.

I don't mean to preach, but Dr. Jay Gordon isn't all *that*. I'll try
to find the story of the little girl he saw in CA that had been his
patient since the age of 1. She had an HIV positive mother throughout
the pregnancy with her and he saw her for a related ear infection 11
days before she died of AIDS because she was never tested for it,
despite her mother being known to have had it during the pregnancy
with the child and despite the mother believing that she wouldn't
develop AIDS. A tad spooky IMO.

I am all for herbal remedies and I do use some with my children and
definitely myself, but 10 weeks is awful tiny, and a 10-week-old's
system isn't set up to digest anything other than breastmilk. Seems to
me that if the proteins in the supplement happen to cross over the
immature digestive barrier, a citrus allergy could develop later on as
well.