Problem with powdered formula

Old February 5th 04, 06:21 PM
joe smith

Default Problem with powdered formula

NOTE: Please do not reply to this post to debate about breastfeeding
vs formula. My only interest is in getting help with a formula
problem. Thank you.

Hi,

I'm a first time parent with a 3 month old. Our son has been very
happy and healthy since we brought him home. My wife has been
breastfeeding but we have occasionally been supplementing with formula
in anticipation of switching over by 6 months or so. Also our son is
HUGE (when he was born he was 11 lbs 2 oz) and formula helps us to
keep his belly full.

When he was about 6-7 weeks old, there was one night when he had
breastfed, then had a bottle, then breastfed again and wound up
projectile vomiting all over the place. He was pretty listless for
about an hour but was then fine. We figured he'd just had too much to
eat and since he doesn't burp well, we figured he just couldn't hold
it all in.

We held off completely on formula for a month, and then started
slowly again with some supplements. Once again, there came a night
when he had breastfed and had some formula and wound up vomiting,
although this time a bit less spectacularly but he still clearly
emptied his entire stomach. This time we figured maybe the common
thread was the combination in one feeding of breastmilk and formula so
we decided to wait a little bit and then try again but keep to
feedings with all formula or all breastmilk but not both.

Last night he once again vomited after drinking just a few ounces of
formula. Now, once again, we have a hypothesis. We have given him
all sorts of varieties of formula and he has kept down a lot but it
seems that every time we have given him powdered formula, whether it
was Enfamil or Isomil, he always threw up. All 3 times it's the
common thread. He drank several bottles of liquid Isomil Advanced
with Iron without a problem but both times we gave him the powdered
form of the exact same formula he threw up. And the first time he
threw up was on powdered Enfamil, but he had drank liquid Enfamil
without a problem several times previously.

My question is, has anybody out there had a child that could handle
all types of formula in the liquid form but could not handle powdered
formula? And if so, will he outgrow it, is it maybe just that his
stomach can't handle the powder in suspension right now? We have
filtered well water so I don't think it's the water. We clean the
bottles and use tepid water and we use bottles with collapsible
sleeves so I don't think it's a hygiene, suction/air, etc. issue. Can
anyone help?

Thanks

Dad with many cans of powder and a lot of questions
Old February 5th 04, 06:23 PM
Denise Anderson

"joe smith" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Maybe he has a milk protein problem? Or reflux? Powdered formula always
causes more gas in my friends' babies than the RTE type, but I've only had
experience with RTE hypoallergenic formulas so I don't know if that's normal
or not. I know you said you didn't want to debate, but if he's happy being
breastfed, why don't you just let him nurse? Seems like it'd be easier
than cleaning up projectile vomit, which was my least favorite thing in the
world with my reflux baby.

Old February 5th 04, 06:30 PM
Sophie

Maybe he has a milk protein problem? Or reflux? Powdered formula always
causes more gas in my friends' babies than the RTE type, but I've only had
experience with RTE hypoallergenic formulas so I don't know if that's

normal
or not. I know you said you didn't want to debate, but if he's happy

being
breastfed, why don't you just let him nurse? Seems like it'd be easier
than cleaning up projectile vomit, which was my least favorite thing in

the
world with my reflux baby.

Some powdered formulas make lots of bubbles when you prepare it too. Might
be that. I only used the liquid formula in the hospital, and switched to
powder at home. Since the OP said he's used all kinds of formula, I don't
know what it could be except that it's powder.

To the OP - Have you tried soy formula - either Prosobee or Carnation Good
Start's Allsoy?

Old February 5th 04, 06:55 PM
Ilse Witch

FWIW, any type of projectile vomiting in such a young baby is a very good
reason to see a doctor. I'd strongly recommend you discuss this with a
pediatrician before you continue giving your son any more formula,
especially the cow-milk based ones.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (19m)

Old February 5th 04, 07:10 PM
Larry McMahan

joe smith writes:

: NOTE: Please do not reply to this post to debate about breastfeeding
: vs formula. My only interest is in getting help with a formula
: problem. Thank you.

For proper techniques in mixing formula please refer to Elfanie's
post. If you are already doing this then I agree with the other
posters who think it could be a cow protein reaction. In that case,
switching to a soy forumla should help.

: Hi,

: I'm a first time parent with a 3 month old. Our son has been very
: happy and healthy since we brought him home. My wife has been
: breastfeeding but we have occasionally been supplementing with formula
: in anticipation of switching over by 6 months or so.

In order to reduce the incidence of atopic diseases, it is a good idea
to overlap the starting of solids and the termination of breastfeeding
by at least 3 to 4 months. Factors in the breastmilk make the transition
to other foods easier.

Good luck,
Larry
Old February 5th 04, 07:44 PM
Chotii

"Larry McMahan" wrote in message
joe smith writes:

: NOTE: Please do not reply to this post to debate about breastfeeding
: vs formula. My only interest is in getting help with a formula
: problem. Thank you.

For proper techniques in mixing formula please refer to Elfanie's
post. If you are already doing this then I agree with the other
posters who think it could be a cow protein reaction. In that case,
switching to a soy forumla should help.

Not necessarily. Many babies who cannot tolerate cow's milk proteins can
also not tolerate soy protein. I believe there was another thread recently
(here or on misc.kids.breastfeeding, I don't remember) about some babies not
tolerating powdered formulas but doing perfectly fine on the concentrated
liquid variety or the ready-to-feed. So it may be something in the way the
formula is made at the factory, *not* in the way the OP mixes it up at home.

I think if I were in the OP's shoes, I would stick exclusively to the
concentrated or ready-to-feed variety for....well, N number of feeds. 5, or
10, or whatever one package makes. If no vomiting occurs, but does after
powdered, then I would figure this for the reason, and stick with the
tolerated form for those feeds that must be supplemented or replaced with
formula. Of course, it's more expensive, but if it stays down, that's more
important.

--angela

Old February 5th 04, 10:24 PM
Leigh Menconi

"joe smith" wrote in message
om...
[...]

One thing that helped with my kids was to make it all up at night in a large
quantity (about a quart) and then put it in the bottles and let them sit in
the fridge overnight so that the extra air incorporated into it when you
shake the it would settle out.

Leigh in raLeigh

Old February 6th 04, 06:57 PM
Hillary Israeli

In ,
joe smith wrote:

*NOTE: Please do not reply to this post to debate about breastfeeding
*vs formula. My only interest is in getting help with a formula
*problem. Thank you.

Oh boy.

* I'm a first time parent with a 3 month old. Our son has been very
*happy and healthy since we brought him home. My wife has been

Congratulations!

*breastfeeding but we have occasionally been supplementing with formula
*in anticipation of switching over by 6 months or so. Also our son is
*HUGE (when he was born he was 11 lbs 2 oz) and formula helps us to
*keep his belly full.

For the benefit of other readers who may be unaware, I would simply like
to point out that exclusive breastfeeding is not only recommended by the
AAP and WHO for the first six months of life, but it is also *perfectly
able* to keep the belly of even the largest newborn baby full. My cousin
Andrew was 11 pounds at birth and he was breastfed and no formula was
needed "to keep his belly full." Yes, formula is less digestible and
therefore sometimes the baby doesn't eat as often, but that's irrelevant.
Anyway. Just wanted to point that out lest someone get the wrong idea.

*seems that every time we have given him powdered formula, whether it
*was Enfamil or Isomil, he always threw up. All 3 times it's the
*common thread. He drank several bottles of liquid Isomil Advanced
*with Iron without a problem but both times we gave him the powdered
*form of the exact same formula he threw up. And the first time he
*threw up was on powdered Enfamil, but he had drank liquid Enfamil
*without a problem several times previously.

So, I guess I wonder, why keep giving him powdered formula if he can't
tolerate it? I would just use the liquid if he pukes on the powdered.
Seems logical.

* My question is, has anybody out there had a child that could handle
*all types of formula in the liquid form but could not handle powdered
*formula?

Does it matter? I mean, suppose your kid was the only one with this
problem. He still has the problem!

Best of luck with handling a difficult situation. Good for your wife for
BFing at all. Your son is better off for it!

Old February 6th 04, 08:44 PM
Doula Danielle

Have you asked the doctor, possibly your son is lactose intolerant. There
are formulas available for babies that can not handle lactose.

om...

Old February 6th 04, 11:05 PM
Chotii

"Doula Danielle" wrote in message
Have you asked the doctor, possibly your son is lactose intolerant. There
are formulas available for babies that can not handle lactose.

No, no, no.

Human milk has MANY times more lactose in it than cow's milk does. Cow's
milk is VERY different from human milk. Human babies are designed
biologically to have human milk, with lots of lactose, and the inability to
tolerate lactose (called 'galactosemia') is not only rare but
life-threatening if not identified.

Since the OP's baby tolerates formulas mixed up from the liquid type
concentrate, and not mixed from powder, it would appear to be a problem with
the way the powdered kind is made.

The other very likely possibility (if he tolerated no formulas, or only
soy-based formula) would be an intolerance to cow's milk protein. Cow's milk
protein is VERY different from the proteins in human milk, and intolerance
in infants is fairly common.

--angela

formula fed, 9 month old baby girl refuses bottle. Low weight gain ur General 6 March 12th 04 04:26 PM
Soy-based infant formula Vicki S Pregnancy 3 November 24th 03 09:07 PM
Soy-based infant formula Jennifer General 14 November 21st 03 05:08 AM
Powdered formula Marie General 5 October 9th 03 01:55 PM
working link to Today's Parent article Corrine Pregnancy 4 September 22nd 03 05:39 PM