How do uncircumcised men get laid?

Old April 8th 04, 11:10 AM
Ralph DuBose

Default How do uncircumcised men get laid?

) wrote in message . com...
Jake Waskett wrote in message ...
Sky King wrote:

) wrote in message
. com...
Once
again, if foreskin grew on fingers and toes, we wouldn't hear a peep
out of your maniacal ilk!!

Sure you would. Doctors are suppose to first DO NOT HARM. If there
is nothing wrong they are doing harm with they do the surgery.

Change isn't necessarily harmful, Sky King.

The second you quote from CIRP, all
credibility goes out the window.

I can get the SAME info from medical organitions if that would help.
I am sure it wouldn't though. You have an agenda and I do not. Your
agenda is to try and prove ALL should be circumcised. I think it
should be left up to the man to decide. OUR bodies OUR choice. What
have you got against that?

So you do have an agenda, then - you want to abolish routine infant
circumcision. Or have I misunderstood?

Jake, you're not dealing with a rational-minded individual. Once Sky
King began engaging in anti-Semitic blather (ie "Jew-boy," "you must
be a Jew," "Israelis murder Palestinians," "Israel relies on
charity"), he then lost any & all privilege to address me. He has
proven what many already know about his deranged ilk: anti-circ is
really anti-Jew.

Whoa. You are the one here who has made about 99% of the
referrences to religion. Even so, you continue to ignore the fact that
Islam is the most prominent gang of circ enthusiasts nearly everywhere
in the world.
In the middle east, in other words, the difference between Yassir
Arafat and Ariel Sharon is not in the ritual status of their foreskin.
If circumcision is such a great idea, try selling it to consenting
adults in a place like Sweden. Stand on a street corner and yell,
"What sort of women would sleep with you disgusting guys anyway??"
If you cannot sell it there, then how can you begin to justify
taking all choice away from men at their birth?
And you lose your way when you argue that it is not painful.
First, because it plainly is painful and some good science
demonstrates the high degree of pain-response. And second, the origens
of this as a ritual do not require that it be painless. Was Abraham
promised that following the commands of Heaven be always a walk in the
park? It is confusion to say that religious ritual must necessarily be
good for the individual. More often, the individual is being asked to
be sacrificed in some manner.
In parts of Africa, circs are done at puberty BECAUSE IT IS SO
PAINFUL. It is just another form of hazing.

The reality is that since Jews comprise a measly 2%
of the American population, the overwhelming majority of circumcised
are non-Jews. Unfortunately, the anti-Semite is immune to refutation
from either facts or logic. The anti-Semite has chosen to live in
hatred, without regard to either facts or logic. The same rationale
applies to the anti-circ ilk. I tell him that circumcision is the
safest & most commonly performed surgical procedure in all of
medicine, and he responds with "prove it." Is Sky King unable to do
research on his own!? Perhaps someone needs to take his hand and show
him how to utilize a web search!? LOL!
In the end, tens of thousands of innocent Israeli civilians have
been maimed & murdered by Palestinians (aka Arabs - indistinguishable
from Jordanians, Egyptians, etc.), yet he does not shed a tear for
Israelis, while insisting that they are doing the murdering!?
Thousands lost their lives on 9/11, yet he continues to focus on
Israel!? Four Americans were murdered & mutilated in Iraq last week,
yet he comes back to Israel? As if all of his propagandizing wasn't
bad enough, he chooses to do it on the High Holidays - Passover? Sky
King, if there is a hell, I'd hate to be in your shoes! Yes, I am a
Jew, and as a Jew, I am also capable of discerning between outright
murder of innocents vs. just military retaliations against terrorists!
DOH!
The same Palestinian terrorists who assassinated 11 Israeli athletes
at the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich, Germany. The same Arab terrorists
who have bombed US embassies all over the world. The same Arab
terrorists who will stop at nothing to see the destruction of America,
Jews & Israel. Once again, Jews are being scapegoated for the
misfortunes of others. In the eyes of the anti-Semite, if an Arab
murders a Jew, it becomes the fault of the Jew. If a Jew retaliates by
weeding out those responsible, it becomes the fault of the Jew. Israel
does what any civilized society would do - protect its soil from
terrorism. It's no wonder why he has such difficulty grasping
circumcision - logic is simply not his forte! eh Smegma must have made
a U-turn and seeped into his MESHUGGENER brain!eheeeee Now here's a
little Middle Eastern/Israel primer for our foreskinned heathen:

* Israel became a nation in 1312 B.C.E., two thousand years before the
rise of Islam.
* Since the Jewish conquest in 1272 B.C.E., the Jews have had dominion
over the land for one thousand years with a continuous presence in the
land for the past 3,300 years.
* Arab refugees in Israel began identifying themselves as part of a
Palestinian people in 1967, two decades after the establishment of the
Modern State of Israel.
* The only Arab dominion since the conquest in 635 C.E. lasted no more
than 22 years.
* Israel is the only democratic state in the Middle East. Israel has
one of the highest ratio of doctors in the world - 1 to every 450
people. Tel Aviv is ranked as one of the Top 10 high technology cities
in the world. Israel has pioneered stem-cell research and is
responsible for creating and exporting a great number of technological
advances in computers: chat software, MMAX & Pentium II processors,
data compression techniques that allow images and videos to be
transmitted on the internet, firewall and network security mechanisms
that have made the internet a safer neighborhood, and internet
telephony and conferencing technologies that connect millions of
people around the world. Many of microprocessors inside our PCs were
designed in Israel, and the basic technologies behind the flash
memories in smart cards were invented in Israel. Israeli researchers
are driving advances in modern algorithms, cryptography, knowledge
sharing, scientific computation, and compilation, to name just a few
fields. It is thus no surprise that most major companies in the
computer field have established research and development centers in
Israel, including Hewlett Packard, Microsoft (currently being run by
sweet Jew, STEVE BALLMER - 16th richest man in the world), 3COM,
Motorola, Intel (created & run by sweet Jew ANDREW GROVE - 90% of the
world's PCs run on his microprocessor), Applied Materials, Cisco,
Lucent, IMB, SAP, Baan, and National Semiconductors.
* Money alone has never equated to intellect or perseverance. I can
give Sky King a billion dollars tmr, yet he will still never become
another EINSTEIN! Any aid to Israel is seen (by rational eyes) as
nothing more than investing in a country that has given back to
America & the world tenfold (see previous examples). The US has also
donated billions to other Middle Eastern states (particularly Egypt),
yet what do they have to show for it? BUPKESS! Palestinians (whatever
that word means - go find me Palestine on a map! LOL! DOH!) have also
received tens of millions in US aid, yet they still live like the
murderous cretins that they've always proven to be. Not because of
Israel (20% of Arabs lives as peaceful Israeli citizens), but because
of Terrorfat, who has kept billions stored in his swiss bank accounts.
His own wife & child live in France.
* If Israel ever stooped to the same level as Palestinians, not one
Arab would be left standing. Israel's military might is capable of
decimating every last one of them. Israel has used remarkable
restraint in dealing with a people who live to see the destruction of
Israel. A people who strap bombs to their backs and murder innocents.
Every land concession made to them has been denied by Terrorfat. His
only concern is to see every last Jew dead.
* There is no such language known as Palestinian, no such distinct
Palestinian culture, and no such land known as Palestine ever governed
by Palestinians (aka Arabs). Palestine has never existed - before or
since - as an autonomous entity. It was ruled alternately by Rome, by
Islamic and Christian crusaders, by the Ottoman Empire and, briefly,
by the British after World War I. The British agreed to restore at
least part of the land to the Jewish people as their homeland.
* Israel is stronger, more advanced, with a higher standard of living
than all those who seek its destruction. Amazing, since Israel
comprises 1% of all Middle East landmass. A measly 5 million Jews
surrounded by tens of millions of Arabs. That tiny David of a country
bitch-slapped all the Goliaths. All those who tried to push Israel
into the sea. From the moment Israel first saw the light of day, 6
neighborhood Arab bullies ganged up on him for a war of extermination.
Israel fought and won every war! And that is ultimately what the
fighting is all about - jealousy (aka anti-Semitism). Jealous of never
being able to stop Jewish perseverance. Remember, no one is preventing
Terrorfat and his cronies from leaving. If they hate Israel so much,
why don't they leave!? Why!? Because not one surrounding Arab country
wants to take in Palestinians. Because deep down inside, Terrorfat
realizes that he & his ilk are treated far better in Israel than they
would be in any other Middle Eastern state. -D, NYC "It must be
understood that Jews, who for two thousand years were dispersed among
the nations of the world decided to return to the land of their
ancestors. This is their right" - POPE JOHN PAUL VI

Old April 8th 04, 03:30 PM
Jake Waskett

Ralph DuBose wrote:

And you lose your way when you argue that it is not painful.
First, because it plainly is painful and some good science
demonstrates the high degree of pain-response.

To be fair, Ralph, as I recall the traditional Jewish method of circumcision
has yet to be quantified in terms of pain, though many believe that it is
significantly less painful than other methods.

Jake.
Old April 8th 04, 05:56 PM
Sky King

Sky King wrote:

) wrote in message
[...]

Shut the **** up. You have no idea of my views on Jews. Its YOUR
provilege to be in the same world as me pal. Israelis to murder
Palestianians and visa versa. That is not a lie. Israel does rely on
the U.S. for aid. If you dispute that I can provide you with cites to
prove it. Do you know how much
aid we give them? You have a thin skin. Anytime someone takes a
different side
of the issue they are hit with the anti-semetic tag. You brought
religion into the debate.

[...]

And religious circumcisions have NOTHING to do with health.

The reality is that since Jews comprise a measly 2%
of the American population, the overwhelming majority of circumcised
are non-Jews. Unfortunately, the anti-Semite is immune to refutation
from either facts or logic. The anti-Semite has chosen to live in
hatred, without regard to either facts or logic. The same rationale
applies to the anti-circ ilk. I tell him that circumcision is the
safest & most commonly performed surgical procedure in all of
medicine, and he responds with "prove it."

Yep...you made the claim so prove it.

Is Sky King unable to do
research on his own!? Perhaps someone needs to take his hand and show
him how to utilize a web search!? LOL!

I back up my claims and do my own research when I make them. You make
claims and want others to do YOUR homework to prove YOUR point. Get
real.

In the end, tens of thousands of innocent Israeli civilians have
been maimed & murdered by Palestinians (aka Arabs - indistinguishable
from Jordanians, Egyptians, etc.), yet he does not shed a tear for
Israelis, while insisting that they are doing the murdering!?

Many folks die every day and I don't cry about it. When and where
were these
tens of thousands of innocent Israelis murdered or maimed? How many
innocent
Palestinians have been murdered by Jews? How many have been occupied
for 40 years?

Thousands lost their lives on 9/11, yet he continues to focus on
Israel!? Four Americans were murdered & mutilated in Iraq last week,
yet he comes back to Israel?

I am not focusing on any particular country. I don't think we should
be in
Iraq at all.

As if all of his propagandizing wasn't
bad enough, he chooses to do it on the High Holidays - Passover? Sky
King, if there is a hell, I'd hate to be in your shoes!

Do you think every person keeps up with your holidays? There is no
hell.
Do you believe that Jesus was the Son of God...if not see you in hell.
That is what Christians believe.
chuckle

Yes, I am a
Jew, and as a Jew, I am also capable of discerning between outright
murder of innocents vs. just military retaliations against terrorists!
DOH!

I knew you were a Jew. Apparently you don't know that many civilians
have
also been killed including women and children...yep by the Jewish
Military.

The same Palestinian terrorists who assassinated 11 Israeli athletes
at the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich, Germany. The same Arab terrorists
who have bombed US embassies all over the world.

These are separate groups pal. Do at least a little research before
making
these claims.

The same Arab
terrorists who will stop at nothing to see the destruction of America,
Jews & Israel.

I am not worried and as long as you don't live in Israel you shouldn't
either.

Once again, Jews are being scapegoated for the
misfortunes of others. In the eyes of the anti-Semite, if an Arab
murders a Jew, it becomes the fault of the Jew. If a Jew retaliates by
weeding out those responsible,

AND killing innocent people in the process.

it becomes the fault of the Jew. Israel
does what any civilized society would do - protect its soil from
terrorism. It's no wonder why he has such difficulty grasping
circumcision - logic is simply not his forte! eh Smegma must have made
a U-turn and seeped into his MESHUGGENER brain!eheeeee Now here's a
little Middle Eastern/Israel primer for our foreskinned heathen:

Note you wording...foreskinned heathen! More religious nonsense. NO
medical organizations recommend circumcision much to your amazement I
am sure.

*

Snipped his rant about how good Israel is and how bad all Arabs are.
Old April 8th 04, 08:55 PM
Ralph DuBose

Ralph DuBose wrote:

And you lose your way when you argue that it is not painful.
First, because it plainly is painful and some good science
demonstrates the high degree of pain-response.

To be fair, Ralph, as I recall the traditional Jewish method of circumcision
has yet to be quantified in terms of pain, though many believe that it is
significantly less painful than other methods.

Jake.

Well, that would be nice. You are definitely speaking the language
of belief, however. Finding a way to cut all of the way thru some
tissue that has a high density of sensory nerves and not set them all
ringing would be a pretty neat trick.
Old April 8th 04, 09:00 PM
Sky King

Ralph DuBose wrote:

And you lose your way when you argue that it is not painful.
First, because it plainly is painful and some good science
demonstrates the high degree of pain-response.

To be fair, Ralph, as I recall the traditional Jewish method of circumcision
has yet to be quantified in terms of pain, though many believe that it is
significantly less painful than other methods.

Jake.

Who are these "many" you speak of. I guess you disagree with the
following...

The American Academy of Pediatrics released its statement on neonatal
pain control in September 1987.81 The AAP stated clearly "that local
or systemic pharmacologic agents now available permit relatively safe
administration of anesthesia or analgesia to neonates undergoing
surgical procedures and that such administration is indicated
according to the usual guidelines for the administration of anesthesia
to high-risk, potentially unstable patients."81 The Canadian
Paediatric Society states that "the evidence of the need for pain
control is strong..." The Australasian Association of Paediatric
Surgeons condemns neonatal circumcision but states that if it is to be
carried out,

....the procedure should be performed electively after six months of
age. When performed, it should be carried out by a surgeon performing
circumcisions on children on a regular basis with an anaesthetist
using appropriate techniques. This would imply that the anaesthetist
is fully trained in the art of paediatric anaesthesia, including the
ability to perform caudal and penile regional, or local anaesthesia...

All studies on the subject to date compare the pain experienced under
anesthesia to the pain of unanesthetized circumcision. None compare
the pain under anesthesia to the lack of pain experienced by the
non-circumcised infant. In other words, they lacked a control group of
children who were subjected to no surgery. This violates the
scientific method and hurts children needlessly, because circumcision
always causes some pain. No method of pain control for neonatal
circumcision exists that is 100 percent effective. All circumcised
infants suffer during the procedure and afterwards.

Jewish circumcision
According to kabbalah, the few drops of blood that are discharged
during the brit, remove any remaining impurities and completes the
task of removing the negative energy to its maximum.

"NEGATIVE" energy!!?? Maybe you can explain that to me
scientifically.

The religious origin of the Jewish practice of circumcision is written
in the Torah where God promised Abraham,

I will make you exceedingly fertile, and make nations of you, and
kings shall come forth from you. . . . I assign the land you sojourn
in to you and your offspring to come, all the land of Canaan, as an
everlasting holding. I will be their God. . . . Such shall be the
covenant between Me and you and your offspring to follow which you
shall keep: every male among you shall be circumcised. (Genesis
17:6,8,10)
Over the centuries there has been much written by Jewish scholars
about the importance of circumcision. Support for circumcision in the
Jewish community today is widespread. There is another perspective on
circumcision that is not openly discussed. Contrary to common belief,
circumcision has not always been practiced. Moses failed to circumcise
his son (Exodus 4:25), and circumcision was totally neglected during
the forty-year period in the wilderness (Joshua 5:5). Some Jews in the
Hellenistic period (circa 300 b.c.e.-100 c.e.) chose not to circumcise
their sons in an attempt to gain public acceptance.1 During the Reform
movement in Germany in the 1840s, some parents did not circumcise
their sons. Theodor Herzl was one of the most prominent figures who
did not circumcise his son, who was born in 1891.2
Currently, circumcision is not universal among Jews either inside or
outside the United States. The Circumcision Resource Center, a
nonprofit educational organization, knows of hundreds of Jews in
Europe, South America, and in the United States who either have not or
would not circumcise a son. Even in Israel some Jews do not
circumcise, and there is an organization that publicly opposes
circumcision.3 The purpose of this article is to coherently explain a
few of the contemporary reasons for the increasing doubts some Jews
have about circumcision. Then I will apply Torah law and Jewish values
to these reasons.

According to the Council of Jewish Federations 1990 National Jewish
Population Survey, "ninety percent define being Jewish as being a
member of a cultural or ethnic group."4 Only thirteen percent believe
"the Torah is the actual word of God."5 Therefore, I address my
comments particularly to those who reform Jewish practice in a way
that is meaningful to them. Non-traditional Jews generally evaluate an
idea by its agreement with reason and experience. Reform Jews comprise
a large proportion of this group. Eugene Borowitz, noted theologian
and scholar, states that Reform Jews "believe that we serve God best
by being true to our minds and consciences even where, in significant
matters, they clash with our heritage."6 Based on the survey, a high
proportion of American Jews have this perspective.

CULTURAL CONSIDERATIONS

Because most Jews are non-traditional and are not aware of the
religious meaning of circumcision, most Jewish circumcisions are done
for cultural not religious reasons. These cultural reasons often tend
to be related to beliefs, attitudes, and feelings about Jewish
survival and identity. (Jewish circumcision was never intended as a
health measure, and there is no proven health benefit from
circumcision.7) For example, an argument for Jewish circumcision is
that it ensures the survival of the Jewish people. This contention is
especially compelling because of our long history of having to fight
to survive. But the biggest threat to survival today is assimilation,
and there is no evidence that circumcision prevents or slows it.
According to the National Jewish Population Survey, more than half of
all Jews who marry choose a non-Jewish spouse.8

Associated with the desire for survival is the idea of identity. Many
Jews believe that males must be circumcised to be Jewish. This is not
true. As stated in the Encyclopedia Judaica, "Any child born of a
Jewish mother is a Jew, whether circumcised or not."9 Alan Altmann, an
uncircumcised son of Holocaust survivors, personally addresses the
issue of Jewish identity:

Although uncircumcised, I am a very proud Jew, with a very strong
sense of Jewish identity, and never hesitate to affirm my Jewish
identity to Jew and non-Jew alike, but particularly to myself. I can
assure you that having a foreskin has not made me less of a Jew than
those without one, and in fact has given me additional reason to think
about it.10
Tying Jewish survival and identity to circumcision underestimates
Judaism's power and ignores its purpose. It neglects the significance
of Jewish ideas and ethical values. Is a man who is circumcised and is
a member of a cult or commits immoral acts more of a Jew than an
uncircumcised man who is committed to Jewish values and lives an
ethical life? Is a circumcised atheist more of a Jew than an
uncircumcised believer in one God? Having a body part removed has its
effects, but it does not guarantee one will be more religious or more
commited to Jewish values.
Finally on this point, issues of Jewish survival and identity are
related to the social tendencies toward conformity and the desire for
a sense of connection. However, conformity without knowledge,
understanding, and reflection tends to result in a superficial type of
connection. In the case of circumcision, this goes unnoticed perhaps
because we equate the longevity of the practice with the depth of the
connection.

HARM CAUSED BY CIRCUMCISION

The increasing doubts about Jewish circumcision are based on the
understanding that it causes harm. Anatomical, neurochemical,
physiological, and behavioral studies confirm what mothers already
know: infants feel pain. Drs. Anand and Hickey, in a comprehensive
review of recent medical literature on newborn pain, conclude that
newborn responses to pain are "similar to but greater than those in
adult subjects."11 This study is accepted by virtually all medical
authorities and is often cited in the literature whenever there is a
discussion of infant pain. As a surgical procedure, circumcision has
been described as "among the most painful performed in neonatal
medicine."12 Studies of infant responses show that the pain of
circumcision is not like that of a mere pin prick. It is severe and
overwhelming.

The relationship between infant pain and vocal response needs
explanation. The cry may be reduced by the effect of anesthetics given
to the mother during labor.13 These anesthetics enter the infant's
body and, according to pediatrician T. Berry Brazelton, it can take
over a week to leave.14 Other factors can also account for minimal
vocal response. Justin Call, infant psychologist and
professor-in-chief of child and adolescent psychology at the
University of California, reports that "sometimes babies who are being
circumcised . . . . lapse into a semi-coma."15 Tonya Brooks, president
of the International Association for Childbirth at Home and a midwife,
observes, "In four of the nine circumcisions that I have seen, the
baby didn't cry. He just seemed to be suddenly in a state of shock!"16
Studies demonstrate that even though an infant may not cry during
circumcision, the stress hormone level in the blood still increases
dramatically, and medical researchers consider this change to be the
most reliable indicator of pain response.17 Therefore, lack of crying
does not mean that the infant feels no pain. It could mean that he is
withdrawing from unbearable pain.

Circumcision has other harmful effects. Anand and Hickey write that

the persistence of specific behavioral changes after circumcision in
neonates implies the presence of memory. In the short term, these
behavioral changes may disrupt the adaptation of newborn infants to
their postnatal environment, the development of parent-infant bonding,
and feeding schedules.18
Psychiatrist Rima Laibow agrees that circumcision significantly
impairs mother-infant bonding.19 Other researchers conclude that
circumcision has "behavioral and psychological consequences."20 The
American Academy of Pediatrics Task Force on Circumcision notes
increased irritability, varying sleep patterns, and changes in
infant-maternal interaction after circumcision.21 Canadian
investigators report that during vaccinations at age four to six
months, circumcised boys had increased behavioral pain response and
cried for significantly longer periods than did uncircumcised boys, a
possible indication of post-traumatic stress disorder.22 Other
long-term effects have not been studied.
Whether an infant is circumcised in the hospital by medical staff or
in the home by a mohel, there are risks as with any surgery. There are
more than twenty different potential circumcision complications
including hemorrhage, infection, and surgical injury.23 The rate of
complications occurring during the first year has been documented as
high as thirty-eight percent.24 On rare occasions death has resulted.
For this reason Jewish law allows for exemptions when other children
in the family have died from the effects of circumcision.25

Concerning the sexual impact, Maimonides wrote, "Circumcision weakens
the power of sexual excitement."26 Contemporary research supports the
view that circumcision diminishes sexual pleasure. In order to
appreciate the sexual impact of circumcision on adults, it is helpful
to know that the adult foreskin has an area of about twelve square
inches,27 and it has several functions. In the relaxed or flaccid
state it protects the glans (head of the penis) from abrasion and
contact with clothes. Without the foreskin, the glans "skin," which is
normally mucous membrane, becomes dry and thickens considerably in
response to continued exposure, and consequently its sensitivity is
reduced.28 The foreskin itself is a very sensitive part of the penis
and improves the experience of sexual intercourse.29 According to a
study published in the British Journal of Urology, it has "specialized
nerve endings"30 and represents about a third of the penile skin.31
The foreskin increases sexual pleasure by sliding up and down on the
shaft, stimulating the glans by alternately covering and exposing it.
This can occur during masturbation or intercourse. Friction is
minimized, and supplementary lubrication is not needed.32

Only men circumcised as adults can know the difference a foreskin
makes. In the Journal of Sex Research, investigators reported on men
who experienced this difference.33 Changes included diminished penile
sensitivity and less penile gratification. The researchers concluded,
"Erotosexually and cosmetically, the operation is, for the most part,
contraindicated."34

Men circumcised as adults regret being circumcised:

After the circumcision there was a major change. It was like night
and day. I lost most sensation. I would give anything to get the
feeling back. I would give my house.35
Slowly the area lost its sensitivity, and as it did, I realized I
had lost something rather vital. Stimuli that had previously aroused
ecstasy had relatively little effect. . . . Circumcision destroys a
very joyful aspect of the human experience for males and females.36

Sight without color would be a good analogy. . . . Only being able
to see in black and white, for example, rather than seeing in full
color would be like experiencing an orgasm with a foreskin and
without. There are feelings you'll just never have without a
foreskin.37

The reduced penile sensitivity resulting from circumcision may affect
male sexual behavior without awareness of the connection. In a
national study reported this year in the Journal of the American
Medical Association, circumcised men were more likely to engage in
alternative methods of stimulation (e.g., oral sex and masturbation)
than uncircumcised men.38 Some men who are aware of the effects of
circumcision are dissatisfied.
Circumcision also has hidden effects on the Jewish community. The
generalized emotional repression around circumcision and the pressure
to conform to accepted practice can undermine community integrity.
Lisa Braver Moss relates her experience:

I had profound doubts about my decision [to circumcise]. But because
open discussion of Brit Milah seems to be discouraged in the Jewish
community, I experienced my doubts privately and without comfort. . .
.. Thus, a rite intended to inspire feelings of Jewish unity evoked in
me a sense of loss and alienation.39
Witnessing circumcision can cause further discomfort and anxiety, yet
typically few express such feelings. Instead we sometimes disguise
them with humor. Furthermore, the feelings of the infant, the one who
is presumably being welcomed into the community, are generally
ignored. Upon closer inspection, these behaviors may limit the depth
of our connection to each other.

PARENTAL EXPERIENCE

With all these factors to consider, no wonder some Jewish parents are
reconsidering the decision to circumcise their sons, and calls to
rabbis about circumcision are increasing.40 One mother wrote, "I spent
most of my pregnancy crying, vomiting, ruminating, and reading about
circumcision."41 Pregnant mothers sometimes reveal that they hope for
a girl to avoid circumcision.

In many cases parents feel resigned to the fact that their son will be
circumcised. While most Jews have their son circumcised in a hospital
where it is done behind closed doors away from the mother, many Jewish
circumcisions are done in the home of the parents in a ritual observed
by family and friends. Although some parents may report this as a
positive experience, there is another view. Witnessing the
circumcision and the infant's response can shock the parents,
particularly the mother. Only recently have some Jewish mothers been
willing to describe their agonizingly painful experiences at their
son's circumcision. Miriam Pollack reported, "The screams of my baby
remain embedded in my bones and haunt my mind."42 She added later,
"His cry sounded like he was being butchered. I lost my milk."43

Elizabeth Pickard-Ginsburg confronted her pain from her son's
circumcision:

I don't think I can recover from it. It's a scar. I've put a lot of
energy into trying to recover. I did some crying and we did some
therapy. There's still a lot of feeling that's blocked off. It was too
intense. . . . We had this beautiful baby boy and seven beautiful days
and this beautiful rhythym starting, and it was like something had
been shattered!44
Another mother recalled,
My tiny son and I sobbed our hearts out. . . . After everything I'd
worked for, carrying and nurturing Joseph in the womb, having him at
home against no small odds, keeping him by my side constantly since
birth, nursing him whenever he needed closeness and nourishment-the
circumcision was a horrible violation of all I felt we shared. I cried
for days afterward.45
The lack of such responses from other parents may be due to two
reasons. First, because they are so painful and are not generally
supported by the community, these feelings may be suppressed. Second,
as mentioned earlier, if the infant goes into traumatic shock, he does
not cry, and parents tend to interpret lack of crying to mean that
circumcision is not painful. There is even a feeling of relief from
some parents and guests if the infant does not cry.
Suppressed feelings regarding circumcision have also been expressed by
rabbis. Rabbi Lawrence Hoffman tells of a discussion about
circumcision with fifteen young male and female rabbis. Each spoke
personally.

As we went around the room, several of these young rabbis related the
case of their own son's circumcision, about which, it turned out, they
frequently harbored intense rage – rage at themselves for allowing it
to happen, and in some cases rage at the mohel who had done it and
botched the job. Only here, in the intimacy of a class composed in
large part of close friends, did they feel comfortable telling their
tales. Stories proved cathartic; at one point people cried.46

APPLICATION OF JEWISH LAWS AND VALUES

Judaism values ethics above both doctrine and reason. The growing
awareness of pain and harm connected with circumcision leads to
questions about ethical considerations. How do we begin to justify the
practice of circumcision on ethical grounds? It is significant
relative to this question that, according to an authoritative book on
Judaism, "the Torah prohibits the torture or causing of pain to any
living creature."47 Now that we know some of the consequences of
circumcision, Jewish law (Lev. 19:11; Exodus 23:1) obligates us to be
open and honest about it. In addition, we may ask if, given a choice,
we would consent to being circumcised. If not, then considering
Hillel's encapsulation of Judaism: "What is hateful to you, do not to
your fellow-creature" (Sab. 31a), should we force circumcision on
another?

Significantly, virtually all that has been written about circumcision
over the centuries ignores the infant's experience. An infant being
circumcised is restrained while having part of his body cut off.
Imagine yourself in the same situation. From the infant's perspective,
this is a physical attack. His physical struggle to escape and his
piercing screams are evidence of an appropriate response to attack. It
is a violation of Torah law to physically assault or harm another
person (Exodus 21:18-27). Jewish law recognizes a newborn infant as a
person if the infant has been born after a full-term pregnancy.48 With
circumcision, we generally overlook the humanity of the newborn infant
and his awareness, perception, sensitivity, and meaningful
responsiveness, though these abilities have been thoroughly documented
by the latest research.49

It is appropriate to ask, Whose foreskin is it? There can be only one
answer – it's the infant's foreskin. Taking it from him by force would
cause him a loss. Viewed this way, we might consider the commandment
that prohibits stealing (Exodus 20:13). Furthermore, Jews have a moral
obligation to help those who are helpless. Newborn infants are
helpless. They need us to protect them from pain and loss. (Feeling
empathy for the infant makes it easier to consider these issues. This
can be difficult for some men.) Furthermore, according to Jewish law,
the human body must not be cut or marked (Lev. 19:28). By removing a
part of the penis, circumcision involves the cutting and marking of
natural male genitals. It appears that in some ways circumcision is
not consistent with Jewish laws and values.

If one accepts circumcision as a divine commandment, Jews, as partners
with God, still reserve the right to question and argue with God.
Regarding the Covenant, Eugene Borowitz states that "each partner
participates in it in full integrity; neither one is master, neither
one is slave; both can make their demands, each partner saying, if
necessary, a painful but self-respecting 'No.' "50 Even among
traditionalists, religious laws and practices have changed because of
reconsideration and the evolving social environment. Here are a few
examples:

In the Torah, adultery (Lev. 20:10), fornication by women (Deut
22:21), homosexual acts (Lev. 20:13), blasphemy (Lev. 24:16),
insulting one's parents (Exodus 21:17), and stubbornly disobeying
one's parents (Deut. 21:18-21) are all punishable by death. Obviously,
these laws are no longer enforced by traditionalists. In addition,
according to Torah law, only a man can divorce his spouse (Deut.
24:1). This law was changed by rabbis to allow a woman to terminate a
marriage. The Torah law which restricted inheritance to sons (Deut.
21:15-17) was also changed to allow transfer of property to daughters.
Awareness of this precedent for change helps us to view circumcision
with openness and flexibility.

ALTERNATIVES TO CIRCUMCISION

Despite the pressure to conform, an increasing number of Jewish
parents are finding the courage to say no to circumcision. These
parents listened to their inner voice, a voice that does not
necessarily conflict with the voice of God. As Rabbi Lawrence Kushner
states, "The voice, if it be truly the voice of the Holy One of Being,
speaks from both without and within. And it is the same voice."51 If
human beings are created in God's image and God is spiritual, then we
and God have a common spiritual essence. We cannot trust the nature of
God and mistrust ourselves. When we act on our deepest, purest
impulses, God is acting through us.

Some Jews who choose not to circumcise but still want a ritual, change
the ritual to omit the circumcision. Instead, they include other
ceremonial elements that are sensitive to the infant and the
community. Such an alternative ritual, sometimes referred to as a
naming ceremony or "bris shalom," has all the joy of the usual ritual
without the pain of the circumcision.

The alternative ritual has other advantages. Rabbi Joel Roth reminds
us that to have meaning, religious ritual should be performed with the
"appropriate mindset."52 This cannot be forced. Some Jews,
particularly mothers, circumcise their sons with great emotional
conflict, reluctance, and regret. The alternative ritual allows for
congruence of intention, attitude, feeling, and action. In addition,
it can be used for both male and female infants. Employing an
equivalent ceremony for girls illustrates how Judaism can change to be
compatible with evolving values. Judaism, as a patriarchal religion,
has been influenced by the modern women's movement. Rather than
perform some kind of genital surgery on females, an idea that is
repugnant and rejected by virtually all Jews, a ceremony without
surgery for both sexes is the egalitarian solution.

Old April 8th 04, 09:55 PM
Jake Waskett

Ralph DuBose wrote:

And you lose your way when you argue that it is not painful.
First, because it plainly is painful and some good science
demonstrates the high degree of pain-response.

To be fair, Ralph, as I recall the traditional Jewish method of
circumcision has yet to be quantified in terms of pain, though many
believe that it is significantly less painful than other methods.

Jake.

Who are these "many" you speak of. I guess you disagree with the
following...

The question is, Sky King, given a variety of circumcision methods, how does
traditional Jewish circumcision rank on a scale of pain?

All studies on the subject to date compare the pain experienced under
anesthesia to the pain of unanesthetized circumcision. None compare
the pain under anesthesia to the lack of pain experienced by the
non-circumcised infant. In other words, they lacked a control group of
children who were subjected to no surgery. This violates the
scientific method

Only by an extremely perverse interpretation of such.

and hurts children needlessly, because circumcision
always causes some pain. No method of pain control for neonatal
circumcision exists that is 100 percent effective. All circumcised
infants suffer during the procedure and afterwards.

[rantings from Ron Goldman snipped]
Old April 8th 04, 11:31 PM

Ralph DuBose wrote:
And you lose your way when you argue that it is not painful.
First, because it plainly is painful and some good science
demonstrates the high degree of pain-response.

To be fair, Ralph, as I recall the traditional Jewish method of circumcision
has yet to be quantified in terms of pain, though many believe that it is
significantly less painful than other methods. Jake.

Jake, you recall correctly! Unlike secular circumcisions in hospitals,
traditional MOHELS use different techniques. The baby is not strapped
down. Instead, he is placed on a double pillow, on the lap of the
SANDAK (grandfather or godfather), held by warm, loving hands. The
device used is called the Mogen circumcision clamp. The instruments
used are autoclaved (heat-steam sterilized). Gloves are also used, and
all MOHELS must follow the same techniques of sterilization and
asepsis that hospitals and doctors use. Remember, the MOHEL is a
super-specialist, an expert at his profession, who probably possesses
more experience at performing circumcisions than most doctors. A MOHEL
may have the opportunity to perform more brisses in a month than some
doctors do in an entire year! -D, NYC "Restoring the Jews to their
homeland is a noble dream shared by many Americans" - ABRAHAM LINCOLN
(16th US President, 1861-1865)
Old April 9th 04, 02:32 AM
Ralph DuBose

Ralph DuBose wrote:
And you lose your way when you argue that it is not painful.
First, because it plainly is painful and some good science
demonstrates the high degree of pain-response.

To be fair, Ralph, as I recall the traditional Jewish method of circumcision
has yet to be quantified in terms of pain, though many believe that it is
significantly less painful than other methods. Jake.

Jake, you recall correctly!

What Jake recalled was what "many believe". Maybe for you that is
an argument clincher, but others might need more evidence.

Unlike secular circumcisions in hospitals,
traditional MOHELS use different techniques. The baby is not strapped
down. Instead, he is placed on a double pillow, on the lap of the
SANDAK (grandfather or godfather), held by warm, loving hands. The
device used is called the Mogen circumcision clamp.

Clamps are routinely used in secular hospitals. But whether the
foreskin is clamped, sliced, or cut with a saw the nerves there are
utterly violated. It is madness to imagine that there is a way to cut
thru two layers of skin and a dense layer of nerves without massive
pain.

The instruments
used are autoclaved (heat-steam sterilized). Gloves are also used, and
all MOHELS must follow the same techniques of sterilization and
asepsis that hospitals and doctors use. Remember, the MOHEL is a
super-specialist, an expert at his profession, who probably possesses
more experience at performing circumcisions than most doctors. A MOHEL
may have the opportunity to perform more brisses in a month than some
doctors do in an entire year!

That is nice, but the nerves are there and the nerves have to be
cut thru.

Old April 9th 04, 03:17 PM
Sky King

Ralph DuBose wrote:

[...]