Indestructable Bite-Proof Pacifiers?? Desperate request!

Old April 27th 04, 03:58 PM
Robyn Kozierok

Default Indestructable Bite-Proof Pacifiers?? Desperate request!

My just-turned-3yo son sleeps with a pacifier. Recently, he's started
chewing on them very vigorously before he falls alseep. He's chewed holes
in all the pacifiers we had. I bought 2 news ones and he chewed through
both of those in a total of 3 days! I know we should just wean him from
the pacifier, but for various reasons, I really don't think he's ready.

Does anyone know of a brand of particularly tough pacifiers? We've been
using silicone -- would rubber be tougher?

Help! I need to find something today!!

Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)
--
"Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to
work hard at work worth doing." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Old April 27th 04, 04:22 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

Rather than fnding new pacifiers, have you considered having the
"pacifier fairy" come to take them all away? One came to our house (the
kids were slightly older, 3 1/2) and gave all the pacifiers to "new
babies who didn't have any". The fairy left a gift for each of my kids
in place of the pacifiers.

Neither son turned out to have much trouble. My older son honestly
thought he would NOT be able to sleep that first night, and did stay
awake for fully an hour, but ultimately did fall asleep. The second
night it took 10 minutes, and that was that.

We celebrated with both kids that they were old enough to sleep without
a pacifier. I recall having a small party (cupcakes) with them that day
at nursery school to celebrate this major (for them) rite of passage.

Yes, there WERE tears, but the kids were old enough that the
accomplishment (and accompanying celebrations) were sufficient to offset
the trauma of disposing of the pacifier.

My little brother, many years ago, was told (at the age of 2 3/4) that
"the man at the store said he's too old for a pacifier and won't sell
them to us any more". My little brother said "ok" and calmly went to
bed without one from then on.

THe point is, at the age of three you should be able to come up with a
rationale that your child will accept for the removal of the pacifier.
(DON'T make your child feel as though it's his FAULT, of course. Just
make it a part of growing up, like throwing away outgrown shoes.) ANd
chewing up pacifiers IS dangerous, so you've got incentive to force this
particular issue.

If I knew of a tough brand of pacifier I'd tell you, but I'm afraid I
don't. Hence the alternate advice.

Good luck,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.

Old April 27th 04, 09:04 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Beth Kevles wrote:

Rather than fnding new pacifiers, have you considered having the
"pacifier fairy" come to take them all away? One came to our house (the
kids were slightly older, 3 1/2) and gave all the pacifiers to "new
babies who didn't have any". The fairy left a gift for each of my kids
in place of the pacifiers.

I did this for my older son who used pacifiers (one did, one didn't).
But after introducing the story, it took several weeks before he was
ready to leave all his pacifiers for the fairy to come take away.
I think we need his buy-in in order for this to work, and we don't
have it yet.

THe point is, at the age of three you should be able to come up with a
rationale that your child will accept for the removal of the pacifier.
(DON'T make your child feel as though it's his FAULT, of course. Just
make it a part of growing up, like throwing away outgrown shoes.) ANd
chewing up pacifiers IS dangerous, so you've got incentive to force this
particular issue.

He's really resisting "growing up" these days. So, I don't want to link
growing up with losing his comforts. But "they're all broken" is a start
on a more acceptable rationale. We are working on it. But I'd love to
buy a few pacifiers that will last a few weeks in the interim... The
brand we were using no longer exists, and like I said, the replacements
I tried this week were really weak.

Mam's website says that latex is more bite-resistant than silicone. So
that will be my next purchase, I guess...

Thanks,

Old April 27th 04, 10:08 PM
Nikki

Robyn Kozierok wrote:

Mam's website says that latex is more bite-resistant than silicone.
So that will be my next purchase, I guess...

I'd probably vote for a natural elimination. Once he's chewed it to bits
maybe he'll just realize he has to do without? Otherwise maybe you could
transition with something. Since he is chewing and not sucking perhaps
something entirely different? I went to an occupational therapy work shop
once. Some kids (big kids or even adults) chew on things as a sensory need.
They actually make a thing called a fidget (I have the site saved somewhere
if you want it) but the OT said aquarium tubing works just fine. A person
can chew away and it doesn't break to pieces.
--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (5) and Luke (3)

Old April 28th 04, 02:23 AM
enigma

"dejablues" wrote in
:

Wouldn't aquarium tubing be a chokable item if taken to
bed?

you tie it in a loop. for a bedtime comfort chewy you'd want a
loop that's too small to fit over his head, but too big to get
the whole loop in his mouth.
lee

Old April 28th 04, 02:23 AM
Rosalie B.

"Nikki" wrote:

Robyn Kozierok wrote:

Mam's website says that latex is more bite-resistant than silicone.
So that will be my next purchase, I guess...

I'd probably vote for a natural elimination. Once he's chewed it to bits
maybe he'll just realize he has to do without? Otherwise maybe you could
transition with something. Since he is chewing and not sucking perhaps
something entirely different? I went to an occupational therapy work shop
once. Some kids (big kids or even adults) chew on things as a sensory need.
They actually make a thing called a fidget (I have the site saved somewhere
if you want it) but the OT said aquarium tubing works just fine. A person
can chew away and it doesn't break to pieces.

DD#3's pacifier was snatched from her by a raccoon in a petting zoo.
She knew where it went, and just said 'fire all gone'. That was the
end of it. We didn't prepare her particularly as we didn't know it
would happen. But I think she was ready to give it up anyway.

grandma Rosalie

Old April 28th 04, 03:54 PM
Denise Anderson

"Nikki" wrote in
I went to an occupational therapy work shop
once. Some kids (big kids or even adults) chew on things as a sensory

need.
They actually make a thing called a fidget (I have the site saved

somewhere
if you want it) but the OT said aquarium tubing works just fine. A person
can chew away and it doesn't break to pieces.

my middle DD uses aquarium tubing to chew on sometimes. We actually got it
from her preschool (she goes to a preschool for children with
disabilities).. but it lasts forever.

Denise

Old April 30th 04, 08:08 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Nikki wrote:
Robyn Kozierok wrote:

Mam's website says that latex is more bite-resistant than silicone.
So that will be my next purchase, I guess...

I'd probably vote for a natural elimination. Once he's chewed it to bits
maybe he'll just realize he has to do without?

Well, no. For starters, of course we don't let him to "chew it to bits"
but take them away at the first sign of a tear or puncture. Also due to
other things that are going on in his life right now, it is not a good time
to take away this comfort, though we continue to repeat the pacifier
fairy story and occasionally ask if he is ready to leave them out for` her.

We did buy a pair of latex pacifiers and they do seem to be a bit more
bite-resistant. And he doesn't love them as much as his old kind, so
that may make it easier for him to give them up eventually. I did
contact PDP products about the oral fidget pacifier but their
representative said it was very hard plastic and probably not suitable
for this situation.

Old April 30th 04, 09:52 PM
Nikki

Robyn Kozierok wrote:

Also due to other things that are going on in his life right now, it
is not a good time to take away this comfort,

I certainly understand that!

I did
contact PDP products about the oral fidget pacifier but their
representative said it was very hard plastic and probably not suitable
for this situation.

Shoot I didn't know that. I thought it was softer. Well I hope those other
ones you mentioned work out!

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (5) and Luke (3)