should I put 3 yo son back in diapers? LONG

Old October 24th 03, 06:47 PM
dragonlady

Default should I put 3 yo son back in diapers? LONG

In article ,
"Sue" wrote:

No, she is saying that diapers don't typically come in sizes for older
children. Was there a diaper that fit your 14-year-old? When my 8-year-old
was still wetting the bed, I could find a diaper that was big enough, they
were all so small and cut into her legs. Pull-ups otoh, which Marie is
suggesting that you can use goes up to bigger kid sizes.
--

Sure -- they're called Depends. They come in a variety of styles, but
the ones that are most absorbent are just like any other disposable

What I was responding to was her statement that putting a 9 yo in a
diaper would be punative. Made me a bit defensive, I suppose, since my
son wore diapers until he was 14.

meh

Old October 24th 03, 06:53 PM
toypup

"Marie" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 05:41:08 GMT, "toypup"
wrote:
"Wendy" wrote in message
First all, ditch the pullups. They have no place in this story except

prolong potty training. If you MUST use a diaper at night (and

nighttime
incontinence is not related to potty training) then use a diaper, not a
pullup. I assure you that a three year old child can shed a diaper if

he
wants to. And it is MUCH easier to change a bowel movement in a diaper
than in a pullup. (Yuck!)

If you have a bed-wetter, at some point a diaper will be too small for
the child. I agree 100% with not using pullups to potty train as they
are only glorified diapers, but wanted to point out that for nighttime
wetting I do not believe it matters. Being a bed-wetter will
absolutely not depend on the type of diaper you are using. A 5 year
old most likely will not fit in the largest size diaper there is.
Marie

They even make diapers for adults, so I'm sure you'd be able to find diapers
for older kids. Maybe at a pharmacy or surgical supply store.

Old October 24th 03, 07:42 PM
Wendy

dragonlady wrote:
In article , Wendy
That's a good point. I used Pullups when I had a five year old who wasn't
dry at night. (The other two were mysteriously night trained the same
week-end they became potty trained.) I certainly wouldn't put a nine year
old in a diaper - I don't mean to be punative!

What on earth is punative about having a nine year old who consistently
wets the bed wear a diaper?

Because nine year olds have egos that don't allow them to comfortably wear
baby items. So a pullup (which come in larger sizes than diapers,
anyway) make sense in that context. They don't make sense in the context
of someone who is too little to potty train needing them.

BTW, this is a BTDT thing for me - one of my kids needed nighttime
incontinence aids for many years.

Have you noticed that adult incontinence items aren't called
"diapers" either?

Wendy
Old October 24th 03, 08:09 PM
dragonlady

In article , Wendy
wrote:

dragonlady wrote:
[...]

I don't care what they're called -- the ones that are designed as pull
ups didn't hold enough to keep my son from leaking through; the ones
that are designed the way disposable diapers are did. And even a five
year old can see that "adult incontinence pads" are just very large
diapers, regardless of the name on the box.

And my son managed fine. By the time he was six, he could explain
(should he be in a setting where it was necessary) that he had a medical
condition called "nocturnal eneuresis" (sp?) that made it necessary for
him to wear diapers at night. (The kids never knew what it meant, and
while there were adults who I know had to stifle a laugh when they heard
his solumn explanation, they all treated both him and his nightwear with
respect.) By the time he was in middle school, he was spending weekends
away from home fairly often, and even went on a few wilderness
backpacking trips with the church youth group. I always made sure there
was one adult who knew what was going on, he was certainly handing his
own diapers by himself -- I stopped putting them on and off him by the
time he was five or so -- and he would go off quietly to put one on
before he went to bed at night and to take it off in the morning. As
far as I could tell (and that included asking the adults who were
around) no one ever gave hiim a hard time, and he never seemed to have a
problem with it.

A nine year old's ego is only going to be damaged by this if there are
people in his life who treat it as a baby item. As long as those around
him treat it matter-of-factly, he'll understand that, just like with
everything else, people's body's mature at different rates and his is
just late on this one. He didn't even make a particularly big deal out
of it when he stopped needing them at 14. And he certainly COULD have
been in a tough place, since his twin sister stopped wearing diapers at
night before their fourth birthday! But since everyone in this house
just treated it as no big deal, so did she.

meh

Old October 24th 03, 09:25 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
"Nikki" wrote:

dragonlady wrote:

What do you think we ought to do with our children when they are very
late to be able to stay dry at night?

I think she was recommending pull-ups instead of diapers.

It was the suggestion that diapers were "punative" that set me off.

My son was 14 -- until then, he
was wet almost every night. There was no medical problem, he just
inherited lousy genes -- I wet the bed until I was 8, DH until he was
12, one of my brothers until he was 13, one of my uncles until he was
17. It's just one of those things.

Just out of curiousity I'm wondering if any of you have sleep apnea. I just
read somewhere that sleep apnea can result in night time wetting in older
people. I'd never heard that before but it holds true for one adult person
that I know. If I can hear it from just one other person I will bring it up
as a possibility to check out when I'm talking to people ;-)

DH does; I've never been evaluated, but he has watched me sleep and
doesn't think I do, and certainly I see no signs of it in DS. (In DH,
it was pretty obvious to me, once I knew what it was -- but we had to
change doctors to get one to send him to a sleep clinic for a diagnosis
and treatment! However, I suspect he developed the apnea way after he
quit wetting the bed.)

I'm not sure the sleep apnea -- which results in less restful sleep --
and bed wetting make sense together; bed wetting is more common when
sleeping very deeply. On the other hand, it's possible that never
getting a good night's sleep makes it more likely -- I have never heard
that the go together.

I was glad, in a way, when
he got big enough to wear depends -- since they are made for adults,
it is clear that there are some adult sized people who have to wear
diapers (call them what you will -- they are diapaers).

Not that this is helpful for you but for others....they make pull-ups and
traditional diapers in all sizes...even for people well over 200 pounds.

--

Unfortunately, at least when my son was this age, there was a small gap
-- when a child had gotten too big for for children's sizes, and even

meh

Old October 24th 03, 09:36 PM
Donna Metler

"Sue" wrote in message
No, she is saying that diapers don't typically come in sizes for older
children. Was there a diaper that fit your 14-year-old? When my 8-year-old
was still wetting the bed, I could find a diaper that was big enough, they
were all so small and cut into her legs. Pull-ups otoh, which Marie is
suggesting that you can use goes up to bigger kid sizes.

There's also the "goodnights"-which are pullups in older kids sizes, without
the cute cartoon characters. And medical supply stores have various diapers
and pullups in all sizes, because there are people who need them for medical
reasons at all ages. The goodnights and some of the adult variations are
designed to look less diaper-like and be more discreet, which may be less
embarassing for an older child.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

dragonlady wrote in message
In article , Wendy
wrote:

Marie wrote:
[...]

What would be punative would be to insist that he has to be in a wet
bed every night, because YOU think there's something wrong with a nine
year old wearing a diaper!

What do you think we ought to do with our children when they are very
late to be able to stay dry at night? My son was 14 -- until then, he
was wet almost every night. There was no medical problem, he just
inherited lousy genes -- I wet the bed until I was 8, DH until he was
12, one of my brothers until he was 13, one of my uncles until he was
17. It's just one of those things. I can't imagine telling him that
he was just going to have to wake up in a urine soaked bed every night
because he was too old to wear a diaper! I was glad, in a way, when he

Old October 25th 03, 05:33 AM
Nikki

dragonlady wrote:

I'm not sure the sleep apnea -- which results in less restful sleep --
and bed wetting make sense together; bed wetting is more common when
sleeping very deeply. On the other hand, it's possible that never
getting a good night's sleep makes it more likely -- I have never
heard that the go together.

I don't really see the connection either and actually, I didn't much see the
connection even after reading about it! The one person that I was thinking
of was very over weight and I wondered if that didn't figure into it as
well? She slept like a rock oddly enough. Anyway....I'm still going to
keep my mouth shut about it, lol. My BIL has sleep apnea terrible. It is
very very odvious. He is nearly 50 and just now going to the doctor to see
if there is anything to do about it. He's going to feel like a whole new
person once he addresses that issue :-)

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old October 27th 03, 03:02 AM
Nevermind

Just out of curiousity I'm wondering if any of you have sleep apnea. I just
read somewhere that sleep apnea can result in night time wetting in older
people. I'd never heard that before but it holds true for one adult person
that I know. If I can hear it from just one other person I will bring it up
as a possibility to check out when I'm talking to people ;-)

I'm not sure the sleep apnea -- which results in less restful sleep --
and bed wetting make sense together; bed wetting is more common when
sleeping very deeply. On the other hand, it's possible that never
getting a good night's sleep makes it more likely -- I have never heard
that the go together.

IIRC, the reason that people with sleep apnea sleep so very deeply in
between interruptions (from the apnea) is that they're constantly
being interrupted in their sleep! (Or something very similar.) IOW,
they're so sleep-deprived from the apnea that when they are sleeping,
they're sleeping deeply.

My DH and I both suspect that I may have sleep apnea. I snore
something awful, though I have none of the risk factors for that (I'm
not overweight and I don't smoke, e.g.), and my DH says my snoring
sounds the way he has heard apnea snoring described as sounding. I
also tend to wake up exhausted even when I've been in bed for 8 hours
(though this is very very rare, which may also explain my exhaustion).
However, I also sleep VERY deeply.