CT scan while breastfeeding

Old February 7th 06, 07:12 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default CT scan while breastfeeding

I will get a CT scan of abdomen and pelvis (non contrast) next week.
The reason of the scan is to look for kidney stones. The lady who made
my appointment confirmed that I will not be injected anything. I am
still wondering, even if I am not injected anything, will the scan
affect my milk? Should I continue breastfeeding or should I pump and
dump for some time?
Thanks.

Old February 7th 06, 07:26 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

If you are not being injected with anything, then there is nothing to worry
about.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

ups.com...

Old February 7th 06, 07:42 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

I will get a CT scan of abdomen and pelvis (non contrast) next week.
The reason of the scan is to look for kidney stones. The lady who made
my appointment confirmed that I will not be injected anything. I am
still wondering, even if I am not injected anything, will the scan
affect my milk? Should I continue breastfeeding or should I pump and
dump for some time?
Thanks.

have you had a x-ray or ultrasound? I'd be very very surprised if a CT
without contrast showed up anything that didn't show up on a x-ray, but
either way is fine, I had a CT scan with contrast whilst breastfeeding a 14
months old. I'm no expert, but I'm fairly sure that CT is not the standard
diagnostic for kidney stones, it's a lot of radiation compared to a single
x-ray or an ultrasound. If you've got pain that might be kidney stones and
they are not showing up on these, then I think CT is the way to go, but to
save repeating it, you want the contrast in there. Commonly people think the
contrast is radioactive or something, but this is not true, it's an orange
die you have to drink it for 24 hrs beforehand and then they usually have to
inject as well.

Anne

Old February 7th 06, 08:29 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
have you had a x-ray or ultrasound? I'd be very very surprised if a CT
without contrast showed up anything that didn't show up on a x-ray, but
either way is fine,

It's hard to see kidney stones on a regular x-ray. Sometimes they hide in
the tubes and ureters. A CT scan is much more sensitive for kidney stones.
Anyway, a CT without contrast is how they diagnose kidney stones. X-rays are
definitely not as sensitive.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old February 7th 06, 08:56 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

It's hard to see kidney stones on a regular x-ray. Sometimes they hide in
the tubes and ureters. A CT scan is much more sensitive for kidney stones.
Anyway, a CT without contrast is how they diagnose kidney stones. X-rays
are
definitely not as sensitive.

thanks for the info, as always there are differing ways of doing things in
different places, I've noticed that CTs are used much more frequently in
other places, in the UK they are much more uncommon, I understand that if
you present at the ER with abdominal pain in the US you are likely to get a
CT, here you are very very unlikely to get a CT in that situation. There is
then a knock on effect of a general cautiousness about this kind of testing,
my feeling on this one, is if you know there are kidney stones, you don't
need see them, if you don't, then you might as well check for everything
else at the same time.

Anne

Old February 7th 06, 09:04 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
thanks for the info, as always there are differing ways of doing things in
different places, I've noticed that CTs are used much more frequently in
other places, in the UK they are much more uncommon, I understand that if

you present at the ER with abdominal pain in the US you are likely to get a
CT,

Sometimes and sometimes not. It depends on the presenting symptoms and it
depends on what blood work can show. When Allison presented in the ER with
vomiting and diarrhea, the CT scan wasn't done until she had been in the
hospital for over a month and then they finally did a CT to determine what
could be going on. It all depends on the situation and what the presenting
problems are.

here you are very very unlikely to get a CT in that situation. There is
then a knock on effect of a general cautiousness about this kind of

testing,
my feeling on this one, is if you know there are kidney stones, you don't
need see them, if you don't, then you might as well check for everything
else at the same time.

Sometimes you need to see them though, especially if they are in an area
where it could obstruct and/or cause a ureter to rupture. Also the size of
the kidney stone is need because if it is huge, then they need to do
lithotripsy to break up the stone. These things could cause major problems.
Also the contrast that is injected for CT is given a few minutes before the
CT and not 24 hours. If they were doing a thyroid scan and uptake, then the
dye is injected and they take scans at different intervals and then they
also take another one at 24 hours. Same goes for many of the cardio CTs.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old February 7th 06, 10:06 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Sometimes you need to see them though, especially if they are in an area
where it could obstruct and/or cause a ureter to rupture. Also the size of
the kidney stone is need because if it is huge, then they need to do
lithotripsy to break up the stone. These things could cause major
problems.
Also the contrast that is injected for CT is given a few minutes before
the
CT and not 24 hours. If they were doing a thyroid scan and uptake, then
the
dye is injected and they take scans at different intervals and then they
also take another one at 24 hours. Same goes for many of the cardio CTs.

I definitely had to drink it over a 24 hr period, then when I got to the
hospital had to drink some more over about half an hour, then they did one
scan before the injected to do another. This is what I found just now, via
google

"A CT examination often requires the use of different contrast materials to
enhance the visibility of certain tissues or blood vessels. The contrast
material may be swallowed, injected through an IV directly into the blood
stream or administered by enema, depending on the type of examination. "

glad I only needed to drink it, not have an enema!

Anne

Old February 7th 06, 11:03 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
I definitely had to drink it over a 24 hr period, then when I got to the
hospital had to drink some more over about half an hour, then they did one
scan before the injected to do another.

Yep, it definitely depends on the scan. Not many of them require a 24 hours
though. If that was the case, scans would never get done. I type these scans
up all day long.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old February 8th 06, 10:43 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Yep, it definitely depends on the scan. Not many of them require a 24
hours
though. If that was the case, scans would never get done. I type these
scans
up all day long.

interesting, when I went to book the appointment I just got given a default
bundle of stuff in a bag, including the die, as if it was fairly common that
they did it that way at that hospital

Anne

Old February 8th 06, 03:11 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
interesting, when I went to book the appointment I just got given a

default
bundle of stuff in a bag, including the die, as if it was fairly common

that
they did it that way at that hospital

Nope, not common at all. However, like I said, it depends on the scan. When
Allison had her abdominal CT, the contrast was given about an hour before
the exam. As I said, it really depends on what kind of exam they are doing
and what they are trying to find. There is also an intravenous contrast that
is given just before the scan.

a.. Readi -Cat is an oral contrast that will coat your digestive tract.
You will need to drink the Readi-Cat at least one hour and 30 minutes before
your test. Most people prefer Readi-Cat cold, and you may store it in the
refrigerator or pour it over ice. It does not spoil if it becomes warm.
b.. A needle will be placed into your vein so that you can receive IV
contrast (X-ray dye). The scan will take about 20 minutes.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)