should I put 3 yo son back in diapers? LONG

Old October 23rd 03, 02:26 AM
toypup

Default should I put 3 yo son back in diapers? LONG

"Sue" wrote in message
news
"GI Trekker" wrote in message
Explicitly letting your child know he's in control...
I have a problem with letting a child "control" any situation, really,

although granted in the case of relief efforts the parents have limited

ability.

toypup wrote in message
I see a lot of parents like this, but it seems that life in their

household
always tends to be more stressful and there is always an underlying

power
struggle, even for minor little things. Maybe not in your house, but

that's
what I see.

the rules. The houses you see that are in great stress are the ones who
don't disipline the children at all and let them control everything in

their
lives.

No, the houses I see in great stress are the ones where the parents are
exasperated because they are trying to exert so much control that they are
in a constant power struggle. They see everything the kids do as a
challenge to their authority. I don't really know anyone with kids who lets
their kids control everything, but I think those parents tend to feel the
stress in later years, not earlier. In earlier years, they let the kids
have full rein because it's less stressful than having to set rules.

Old October 23rd 03, 07:33 PM
Wendy

First all, ditch the pullups. They have no place in this story except to
prolong potty training. If you MUST use a diaper at night (and nighttime
incontinence is not related to potty training) then use a diaper, not a
pullup. I assure you that a three year old child can shed a diaper if he
wants to. And it is MUCH easier to change a bowel movement in a diaper
than in a pullup. (Yuck!) So, if you *do* go back to diapers, go back to
DIAPERS. And point out that you're doing it because he isn't big enough
to go in the potty yet.

But I wouldn't put him in diapers even for naps. I'd clean up accidents
and address the underlying problem that makes him not want to go in the
potty. Is he afraid to fall in? Get a potty seat insert. Is he having
constipation/pain? Get more oil & fiber into his diet. Is he getting too
busy and forgetting he has to go? Remind him at predictable times or when
you see "the dance". This is a learning process but it only goes i one
direction - you get a potty trained kid out of it.

Good luck!

Wendy, Mummy to DD(12) DS(10) and DS(4)

Old October 24th 03, 06:41 AM
toypup

"Wendy" wrote in message
First all, ditch the pullups. They have no place in this story except to
prolong potty training. If you MUST use a diaper at night (and nighttime
incontinence is not related to potty training) then use a diaper, not a
pullup. I assure you that a three year old child can shed a diaper if he
wants to. And it is MUCH easier to change a bowel movement in a diaper
than in a pullup. (Yuck!)

Not really. It's just like changing a regular diaper except you tear the
sides instead of unfastening the velcro. Actually, the newer Pull-ups have
velcro. There are also the Huggies Convertibles. I want to try those next.
DS is partly potty trained. He goes morning and night very well, but can't
tell when he really needs to go and won't go more often than twice a day
without a fight, so we just go with the flow. I see no reason to rush it.
If diapers prolong the process, so be it. If he's still in diapers at age
5, then I'll rethink my plan.

Old October 24th 03, 01:03 PM
Marie

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 05:41:08 GMT, "toypup"
wrote:
"Wendy" wrote in message
First all, ditch the pullups. They have no place in this story except to
prolong potty training. If you MUST use a diaper at night (and nighttime
incontinence is not related to potty training) then use a diaper, not a
pullup. I assure you that a three year old child can shed a diaper if he
wants to. And it is MUCH easier to change a bowel movement in a diaper
than in a pullup. (Yuck!)

If you have a bed-wetter, at some point a diaper will be too small for
the child. I agree 100% with not using pullups to potty train as they
are only glorified diapers, but wanted to point out that for nighttime
wetting I do not believe it matters. Being a bed-wetter will
absolutely not depend on the type of diaper you are using. A 5 year
old most likely will not fit in the largest size diaper there is.
Marie
Old October 24th 03, 03:06 PM
Wendy

Marie wrote:
If you have a bed-wetter, at some point a diaper will be too small for
the child. I agree 100% with not using pullups to potty train as they
are only glorified diapers, but wanted to point out that for nighttime
wetting I do not believe it matters. Being a bed-wetter will
absolutely not depend on the type of diaper you are using. A 5 year
old most likely will not fit in the largest size diaper there is.

That's a good point. I used Pullups when I had a five year old who wasn't
dry at night. (The other two were mysteriously night trained the same
week-end they became potty trained.) I certainly wouldn't put a nine year
old in a diaper - I don't mean to be punative!

But I don't think handing someone a pullup and saying, "poop in this" is a
great idea.

I do want to highlight, though, that you can GUESS when your kid has to go
and just make toileting a normal part of your routine. Everyone goes the
minute they get up. Everyone goes before lunch is served. Everyone goes
before nap-time, etc. Put some routine into it and you might have less of
a fight, as well as less emergencies when it suddenly occurs to the kid
that he has to go - this instant!

Wendy
Old October 24th 03, 03:23 PM
dragonlady

wrote:
"Wendy" wrote in message
First all, ditch the pullups. They have no place in this story except to
prolong potty training. If you MUST use a diaper at night (and nighttime
incontinence is not related to potty training) then use a diaper, not a
pullup. I assure you that a three year old child can shed a diaper if he
wants to. And it is MUCH easier to change a bowel movement in a diaper
than in a pullup. (Yuck!)

If you have a bed-wetter, at some point a diaper will be too small for
the child. I agree 100% with not using pullups to potty train as they
are only glorified diapers, but wanted to point out that for nighttime
wetting I do not believe it matters. Being a bed-wetter will
absolutely not depend on the type of diaper you are using. A 5 year
old most likely will not fit in the largest size diaper there is.
Marie

Unfortunately, it was my experience that the pull ups didn't hold
enough. We ended up switching to Depends, though, at least when it was
an issue for us, there was a gap in sizes between the largest children's
diapers and the smallest adult size. I understand they are finally
making some larger (for six and seven year olds) disposab le diapers now.

meh

Old October 24th 03, 03:40 PM
dragonlady

In article , Wendy
wrote:

Marie wrote:
If you have a bed-wetter, at some point a diaper will be too small for
the child. I agree 100% with not using pullups to potty train as they
are only glorified diapers, but wanted to point out that for nighttime
wetting I do not believe it matters. Being a bed-wetter will
absolutely not depend on the type of diaper you are using. A 5 year
old most likely will not fit in the largest size diaper there is.

That's a good point. I used Pullups when I had a five year old who wasn't
dry at night. (The other two were mysteriously night trained the same
week-end they became potty trained.) I certainly wouldn't put a nine year
old in a diaper - I don't mean to be punative!

What on earth is punative about having a nine year old who consistently
wets the bed wear a diaper?

What would be punative would be to insist that he has to be in a wet
bed every night, because YOU think there's something wrong with a nine
year old wearing a diaper!

What do you think we ought to do with our children when they are very
late to be able to stay dry at night? My son was 14 -- until then, he
was wet almost every night. There was no medical problem, he just
inherited lousy genes -- I wet the bed until I was 8, DH until he was
12, one of my brothers until he was 13, one of my uncles until he was
17. It's just one of those things. I can't imagine telling him that
he was just going to have to wake up in a urine soaked bed every night
because he was too old to wear a diaper! I was glad, in a way, when he
got big enough to wear depends -- since they are made for adults, it is
clear that there are some adult sized people who have to wear diapers
(call them what you will -- they are diapaers).

meh

Old October 24th 03, 04:03 PM
Nikki

dragonlady wrote:

What do you think we ought to do with our children when they are very
late to be able to stay dry at night?

I think she was recommending pull-ups instead of diapers.

My son was 14 -- until then, he
was wet almost every night. There was no medical problem, he just
inherited lousy genes -- I wet the bed until I was 8, DH until he was
12, one of my brothers until he was 13, one of my uncles until he was
17. It's just one of those things.

Just out of curiousity I'm wondering if any of you have sleep apnea. I just
read somewhere that sleep apnea can result in night time wetting in older
people. I'd never heard that before but it holds true for one adult person
that I know. If I can hear it from just one other person I will bring it up
as a possibility to check out when I'm talking to people ;-)

I was glad, in a way, when
he got big enough to wear depends -- since they are made for adults,
it is clear that there are some adult sized people who have to wear
diapers (call them what you will -- they are diapaers).

Not that this is helpful for you but for others....they make pull-ups and
traditional diapers in all sizes...even for people well over 200 pounds.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old October 24th 03, 05:02 PM
Sue

No, she is saying that diapers don't typically come in sizes for older
children. Was there a diaper that fit your 14-year-old? When my 8-year-old
was still wetting the bed, I could find a diaper that was big enough, they
were all so small and cut into her legs. Pull-ups otoh, which Marie is
suggesting that you can use goes up to bigger kid sizes.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 24th 03, 05:16 PM
Sue

That should have read I could not find a diaper big enough.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)