Using Ferber method in everyday life

Old October 24th 03, 11:31 AM
Sue

Default Using Ferber method in everyday life

Marie wrote in message
What would happen in my case is the bowl would just be dumped out
immediately.

Yeah, unfortunately, I spent a lot of time replacing the water in the bowl,
lol.
Although when they were sitting in the high chair the tray contained some of
the water so they could splash it around for a little bit. Would she squish
some pudding for a while or cool whip?

Tupperware bowls and lids, measuring cups, spoons are
all good things to keep him occupied.

Bethany loves being given these things but she gets bored of them
quickly and I have to find new things to keep giving her. MIL gave her
a new toy, it has a tunnel with little balls that pop out of the
tunnel (air blows them out), well it's hard to explain but it actually
holds her attention!

Aww that's too bad. I remember Allison when she was a baby would sit for
hours in my tupperware cupboard and put stuff back, take it out, put back
again, rinse and repeat. Although now that I think about it, she was around
13-15 months because she was walking around the house with the lids and
stuff. Good that the new toy is working for a while.

I also used a walker (under
supervision, never had a problem) even a play pen for short amounts of

time,

GASP!! ;o)

I know, I'm such a irresponsible mother. ;o)
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 24th 03, 12:26 PM
Marion Baumgarten

Sue wrote:

Marie wrote in message
What would happen in my case is the bowl would just be dumped out
immediately.

Yeah, unfortunately, I spent a lot of time replacing the water in the bowl,
lol.
Although when they were sitting in the high chair the tray contained some of
the water so they could splash it around for a little bit. Would she squish
some pudding for a while or cool whip?

Tupperware bowls and lids, measuring cups, spoons are
all good things to keep him occupied.

Bethany loves being given these things but she gets bored of them
quickly and I have to find new things to keep giving her. MIL gave her
a new toy, it has a tunnel with little balls that pop out of the
tunnel (air blows them out), well it's hard to explain but it actually
holds her attention!

I had an easy to reach drawer in my kitchen that I would put new things
in from time to time- the kids caught on pretty quckly it was "their
drawer'. I'm talking one day I would put in measuring spoons and maybe
next week two tupperware lids and a wooden spoon. It was a big hit.
Old October 24th 03, 12:57 PM
Marie

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 06:31:13 -0400, "Sue"
wrote:
Yeah, unfortunately, I spent a lot of time replacing the water in the bowl,
lol.
Although when they were sitting in the high chair the tray contained some of
the water so they could splash it around for a little bit. Would she squish
some pudding for a while or cool whip?

Are you INSANE!!? I'd have to take her outside and hose her down!

Aww that's too bad. I remember Allison when she was a baby would sit for
hours in my tupperware cupboard and put stuff back, take it out, put back
again, rinse and repeat. Although now that I think about it, she was around
13-15 months because she was walking around the house with the lids and
stuff. Good that the new toy is working for a while.

Aren't they cute walking around holding the dishes D I emptied a
cabinet just for her and put different tupperware in it each day and
change them out a few times a day, and put toys in it too. (and
cheerios too!) I am going today to buy cabinet locks, we have a new
pet mouse (ugh not really a pet) and I'm scared she's going to get the
mouse doody that is in the other cabinets.

I also used a walker (under
supervision, never had a problem) even a play pen for short amounts of

time,

GASP!! ;o)

I know, I'm such a irresponsible mother. ;o)

Hehe I guess I am too.
Marie

Old October 24th 03, 03:15 PM
Nikki

toypup wrote:
"Joshua Levy" wrote in message
om...
So the solution is to get her to expect different things, which you
can do little by little. For example, you could put your baby down
and if she cries, come back to her in a minute or two, and then hold
her. The next day come back after two or three minutes. The third
day come back after five minutes, etc. (This is sort of the opposite
of what you have tried so far.) Or you could pick up the crying baby
after a minute, but then put her down again. If she crys again, then
pick her up and hold her. The next day pick her up and put her down
twice before holding on to her, and so on.

I've never read Ferber, but isn't that pretty much the Ferber method
for sleep (leave them a little longer each day)?

Yes it is. With sleep they are supposedly learning to do something - let
sleep come by itself, without outside help. They are becoming used to a new
routine, that of laying quietly by oneself to fall asleep instead of having
someone else do something to you. So there is a natural end....sleep.
During the day there is no natural end. I don't see how this method would
accomplish anything in the same way it accomplishes the sleep thing. The
end is meaningless to the baby.

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old October 24th 03, 04:45 PM
Sue

Marie wrote in message
Are you INSANE!!? I'd have to take her outside and hose her down!

ROTFL. That was a suggestions for the ones who can tolerate that huge of a
mess. Although, if I were desparate for a few minutes trying to get dinner
ready, I might have done it.

Aren't they cute walking around holding the dishes D I emptied a
cabinet just for her and put different tupperware in it each day and
change them out a few times a day, and put toys in it too. (and
cheerios too!) I am going today to buy cabinet locks, we have a new
pet mouse (ugh not really a pet) and I'm scared she's going to get the
mouse doody that is in the other cabinets.

Yes they are so cute when they start carrying stuff around. Especially when
they start bringing you everything they can get their hands on.

Mouse doody, ew ;o)

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 24th 03, 07:56 PM
toto

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 23:14:50 -0400, Marie wrote:

Putting a bowl or cup of water on his high chair and let him make a mess,
while you cook dinner.

What would happen in my case is the bowl would just be dumped out
immediately.

Try ice cubes. My granddaughter loves these and doesn't dump them
for a long time.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old October 24th 03, 07:57 PM
toto

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 07:57:16 -0400, Marie wrote:

Yeah, unfortunately, I spent a lot of time replacing the water in the bowl,
lol.
Although when they were sitting in the high chair the tray contained some of
the water so they could splash it around for a little bit. Would she squish
some pudding for a while or cool whip?

Are you INSANE!!? I'd have to take her outside and hose her down!

A bath before dinner can be a good thing g

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old October 24th 03, 08:12 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
toto wrote:

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 23:14:50 -0400, Marie wrote:

Putting a bowl or cup of water on his high chair and let him make a mess,
while you cook dinner.

What would happen in my case is the bowl would just be dumped out
immediately.

Try ice cubes. My granddaughter loves these and doesn't dump them
for a long time.

My mother loves to occupy kids this age by getting something sticky on
their fingers (syrup or jelly) and then putting something light -- like
a feather or cotton ball -- on their high chair tray. Pulling it from
hand to hand and trying to put it down can keep them delightfully
occupied for a very long time!

meh

Old October 25th 03, 05:19 AM
Chookie

In article , wrote:

I am a new SAH mom and need advice. I finally have a baby after many
years of miscarriage. This baby is the love of my life. In the eyes
of my mom and friends, I have 'spoiled' the baby because I never let
him cry. He just seems like a very happy, calm baby 24/7.

Solution 1: While ditching your mother isn't really an option, ditch the
"friends". Your baby is sleeping well, normally happy and contented, so
they're telling you that you must be doing something wrong. Maybe they are
jealous. If he is generally a happy and calm baby, you can just point and
say, "See? My way works fine!"

Due to a family crisis - I can no longer lavish my baby with as much
time and attention as he is accustomed.

He is almost 5 months old [...]

Mind you, he does play by himself with his toys and can entertain
himself for quite some time, but other times he shifts into
'high-needs mode'. I have a baby carrier, but I it isn't always
practical, especially if I'm cooking.

Solution 2: I agree that the stress you are under is probably the cause,
since the behaviour is occasional.

Solution 3: There is no point to worrying about what you simply cannot do,
when you are doing the best you can in a difficult situation. Sometimes you
may have to let your baby cry (though it's always worth looking for ways
around it) and have to live with the noisy consequences. After all, you can't
do better than your best.

snip

If I continue to pick my baby up, and not teach him how to 'cry it
out' & comfort himself during the day - am I setting myself up later
for a lot of problems, IE: clingy child with social problems?

Well, I never left my child to cry it out, and he is fine at day care and has
no social problems as of age 2.5. I think clingy children are probably born
that way, and the same for the outgoing ones.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc
Old October 27th 03, 04:37 PM
Melissa

"dragonlady" wrote
In article ,
toto wrote:

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 23:14:50 -0400, Marie wrote:

Putting a bowl or cup of water on his high chair and let him make a

mess,
while you cook dinner.

What would happen in my case is the bowl would just be dumped out
immediately.

Try ice cubes. My granddaughter loves these and doesn't dump them
for a long time.

My mother loves to occupy kids this age by getting something sticky on
their fingers (syrup or jelly) and then putting something light -- like
a feather or cotton ball -- on their high chair tray. Pulling it from
hand to hand and trying to put it down can keep them delightfully
occupied for a very long time!

A less messy way to do this is to create a ball of masking tape and giving
it to the child. It has the same end result and is much tidier.
--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03