Planning to formula feed

Old July 12th 03, 07:51 AM
KC

Default Planning to formula feed

After reading the responses to my post, I have 2 thoughts. One is
that it is not surprising that people on a bf group would think bf
easier, and the second is that I am still very much hoping to get to
the point that I think it is easier than ff.

One person talked about how sleeping is easier when you are bf. That
is my experience too. I am just waiting for the days to get easier
too. I am not sure I will ever be able to move around while bf due to
large breasts.

KC

(KC) wrote in message . com...
(H Schinske) wrote in message
But surely many mothers, maybe even most, occasionally have those feelings
about a newborn, nursing or not, especially a first baby? I think breastfeeding
often gets blamed for a lot of the difficulties of just relating to your baby
in the first days and weeks. Breastfeeding is the most obvious thing we're not
sure we're doing right, and all the anxieties seem to center on that. Plus most
mothers just don't have enough help. (I still scratch my head at people who
want to bottlefeed so someone else can help, as if there weren't eight million
other things that needed doing besides feeding the baby!)

Surely people who ff complain too, but I kind of wonder if any of the
people who think that bf is easier have ever ff. IME ff is easier
hands down. I just mixed the water with the formula right when we
needed a bottle and it was ready. We gave her room temp formula
rather than warm. My dd drank it soooo much faster than the time I
spend bf, but we did use a faster flow nipple. As for the bottles we
had enough that I just did one load of dishes in the evening as usual.
There was no holding still while a baby was attached to the nipple
for hours on end with ff. I am all for bf and am bf this time for the
health benefits, but IME ff was easier. IMHO the reason so many
people fail at bf is because ff is so temptingly much easier.

KC

Old July 12th 03, 02:27 PM
Belphoebe

"KC" wrote in message
om...

One person talked about how sleeping is easier when you are bf. That
is my experience too. I am just waiting for the days to get easier
too. I am not sure I will ever be able to move around while bf due to
large breasts.

Just to give you some hope: I wear a 40DD, and I'm able to nurse on the
move. It takes some practice (for both halves of the nursing pair!), but
it's possible.

Belphoebe

Old July 12th 03, 03:38 PM
iphigenia

KC wrote:
After reading the responses to my post, I have 2 thoughts. One is
that it is not surprising that people on a bf group would think bf
easier, and the second is that I am still very much hoping to get to
the point that I think it is easier than ff.

Yes, but bear in mind that there are women on here who FF prior children. We
aren't all women who've never considered anything but breastmilk for our
babies.

One person talked about how sleeping is easier when you are bf. That
is my experience too. I am just waiting for the days to get easier
too. I am not sure I will ever be able to move around while bf due
to large breasts.

I'm a 40DD and never had a problem. I assume you mean that you need to
support your breasts to maintain a proper latch? Older, more experienced
babies tend to be pretty good at latching on and staying latched without as
much help.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old July 14th 03, 07:47 PM
Jenrose

"KC" wrote in message
om...
After reading the responses to my post, I have 2 thoughts. One is
that it is not surprising that people on a bf group would think bf
easier, and the second is that I am still very much hoping to get to
the point that I think it is easier than ff.

One person talked about how sleeping is easier when you are bf. That
is my experience too. I am just waiting for the days to get easier
too. I am not sure I will ever be able to move around while bf due to
large breasts.

KC

I'm a 42 G, H or I depending on where in the lactation or menstrual cycle I
am. I still found BF much easier than FF.

With a good long-fabric sling, I had no problem grocery shopping and nursing
at the same time. Also, nursing clothes helped a lot later on when my
daughter was older, because combined with a bra, they helped keep everything
in place.

I have very long, very droopy breasts (I know... WTMI...) but still found
that breastfeeding on the go just wasn't a big deal. Probably helped that
kiddo was not shy about grabbing on with both hands and pointing the nipple
where she wanted it to go by the time she was 2-3 months old.

Jenrose

Old July 14th 03, 09:36 PM
Stephanie and Tim

"Jenrose" wrote in message
s.com...

"KC" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I don't know why this reminded me of this story... But my sister used to
have dreams when her twins were small about trading milk stories with a cow,
and the cow telling her how much easier it was to nurse little cows because
they could latch themselves.

Old July 15th 03, 07:56 AM
KC

I have long droopy breasts too :-) They are mounted low too even
before they got droopy, so they are kind of far down which has been a
problem with my sling and carrier. The main problem has been that my
dd can't stay latched without me holding the breast compressed for her
because the breasts are fat till the end I guess would be the way to
describe it. I had flat nipples when I first tried to bf my first dd.
After much pumping, a little bit of feeding my first and a device
called the nipplette I have them not so flat for this baby, but it is
still hard for my baby to hang onto them the way they are shaped.

Perhaps age will fix it. I do notice that if we are sitting totally
still now she can stay latched whereas before even still we wouldn't
stay latched without compression.

Back to the low and long breasts though, they don't work with my NoJo
sling, but I just finally broke down and ordered the Maya Wrap sling,
so maybe I will eventually get mobile.

Thanks for the hope.

KC

Old July 15th 03, 07:11 PM
Larry McMahan

KC writes:

: I have long droopy breasts too :-) ...

: Perhaps age will fix it.

Frequent nursing certainly will! :-)

: Back to the low and long breasts though, they don't work with my NoJo
: sling, but I just finally broke down and ordered the Maya Wrap sling,
: so maybe I will eventually get mobile.

I have always said that neither the Nolo nor the OTSBH are usually that
good until the baby is old enough to hold its own head up. Until then,
a sling like the Maya wrap is much better. (IME)

: Thanks for the hope.

: KC

Good luck,
Larry