How to stop the night wakings?

Old March 15th 08, 06:44 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
Ericka Kammerer

Default How to stop the night wakings?

Sarah Vaughan wrote:
cjra wrote:

[...]
I am concerned about her lack
of food - nights when she doesn't eat much I always worry she'll wake
because she's starving, so think that nursing her will help that, but
it doesn't....

When I night-weaned Jamie, I gave him a bottle of milk instead so that I
could feel comfortable that I *wasn't* leaving him hungry by refusing to
nurse. As it turned out he was hardly taking any, which confirmed what
I'd felt to be the case, but it was good to know that for certain. If
it had turned out that he was taking a lot, I'd have done the old trick
of diluting it down on successive nights.

Which I've heard work *great* with a number of kids, but
totally backfired with mine. As soon as he figured out I was
diluting, he started refusing bottles of any sort, day or night!
However, I had also found out that he *was* eating a lot at that
late night feed. Eventually I just agreed to the late night
feeding and rescheduled it to suit me better, and then a few months
later he dropped it all together. Which, I guess, just goes to
show that there are lots of different potential reasons for the
same outward behavior, so we all have to go through this detective
work to figure out what the problem is and develop a solution
that works for our families.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old March 15th 08, 07:32 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
cjra

On Mar 15, 12:06*pm, Sarah Vaughan
wrote:
Ericka Kammerer wrote:
* * Also, for the comforting at night, you may not be able
to go as far as rocking and cuddling. *You may need to keep her
in the crib and limit it to patting her back and such. *Getting
her up may be enough to reorient her to playtime/cuddle time
rather than to sleep time.

Sorry, I probably didn't read the initial post carefully enough - I was
picturing a situation where they were still bedsharing. *I agree that if
she's in the crib, the best thing to do would be just to talk/pat
reassuringly and lower her down to the mattress every time she tries to
stand up.

No, you had it right. We'd been co-sleeping all along, with occasional
crib use. I'm of the opinion now that co-sleeping isn't helping her
sleep (or us!). So have made the decision to try the crib every night,
Old March 17th 08, 09:39 PM posted to misc.kids,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Hi we have 2 boys, our first slept right through the night, our second
never closed his eyes. I don't think i have ever been as tired in my
life, i'm sure there are some of you that may relate to this. A
friend of mine let me borrow a book called "Sleep Sense", it was
fantastic. I was a bit cynical to start with, but my friend said that
it worked and i should give it a go. So I did, and it worked! I have
to admit i didn't follow it to the tee ( not disciplened enough), but
the book made sense and enabled me and my husband to get some sleep.
I googled it and it can be bought from
http://koochycoo.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=534

As i say it worked for me and my friend.