Hard to nurse discreetly??

Old July 8th 03, 05:23 AM
Al Bell

Default Hard to nurse discreetly??

"JoAnna" writes:

I read is some posts about wearing double shirts, nursing shirts (yucko) or
pulling one's breast out through wierd parts of your shirt...do people
generally have a rough time nursing discreetly in "normal" clothes? Or does
wearing a sling or carrier make it difficult?

I think the thing that really makes it difficult is when the baby is old
enough to want to pull away and look around a lot. Before that happens,
it's pretty easy to figure out a strategy to keep the exciting parts
hidden. Afterwards, the mom is probably bound to flash an occasional
inch of areola at the adoring public.

When I started nursing my 1st I went and purchased some nursing shirts
(overpriced, awkward and a waste of time!!)

Nursing shirts are overpriced, but I think they cover the belly a little
better than the baby does, and they're also great for pumping in the
office. If you're pumping in an office or cubicle and someone just barges
in, all they see is the Isis sticking out of the shirt, looking like a
weird water glass.

Just undo the nursing bra,

One thing I've done is stopped wearing bras for the duration. The easiest
bra to undo is one that doesn't exist.

So - now that i am planning on using the Maya Wrap and nursing in it can
anyone tell me if my "normal shirt" nursing approach witll leave me exposed
in public?

If you're happy using a normal shirt without a Maya Wrap, you should be
even better covered when you're using the Maya Wrap.
Old July 8th 03, 02:29 PM
JoAnna

"Al Bell" wrote in message
"JoAnna" writes:

I read is some posts about wearing double shirts, nursing shirts (yucko)

or
pulling one's breast out through wierd parts of your shirt...do people
generally have a rough time nursing discreetly in "normal" clothes? Or

does
wearing a sling or carrier make it difficult?

I think the thing that really makes it difficult is when the baby is old
enough to want to pull away and look around a lot. Before that happens,
it's pretty easy to figure out a strategy to keep the exciting parts
hidden. Afterwards, the mom is probably bound to flash an occasional
inch of areola at the adoring public.

i found nursing an older baby to be alot easier in general. my ds was just
so quick about it i guess. with the little babies it seems they need more
help latching and my dd here pops off alot. so far so good though.

When I started nursing my 1st I went and purchased some nursing shirts
(overpriced, awkward and a waste of time!!)

Nursing shirts are overpriced, but I think they cover the belly a little
better than the baby does, and they're also great for pumping in the
office. If you're pumping in an office or cubicle and someone just barges
in, all they see is the Isis sticking out of the shirt, looking like a
weird water glass.

good point, i didn't have to deal with that.

Just undo the nursing bra,

One thing I've done is stopped wearing bras for the duration. The easiest
bra to undo is one that doesn't exist.

lucky you...i'd look like a contestant in a wet t-shirt contest...and after
nursing 2 kids things just aren't as perky as they once were (

So - now that i am planning on using the Maya Wrap and nursing in it can
anyone tell me if my "normal shirt" nursing approach witll leave me

exposed
in public?

If you're happy using a normal shirt without a Maya Wrap, you should be
even better covered when you're using the Maya Wrap.

i am not personally worried about being covered, i was just wondering whaat
all the fuss was about. i prefer to be discreet but i am not embarrassed. i
am usually more concerned about covering up if i am out with DH as it makes
him uncomfortable sometimes (but he is a BIG bf-ing supporter)

Old July 9th 03, 03:34 PM

"JoAnna" wrote in message
et...
I read is some posts about wearing double shirts, nursing shirts (yucko)

or
pulling one's breast out through wierd parts of your shirt...do people
generally have a rough time nursing discreetly in "normal" clothes? Or

does
wearing a sling or carrier make it difficult?

When I started nursing my 1st I went and purchased some nursing shirts
(overpriced, awkward and a waste of time!!) Then I bought shirts that
buttoned down the front and had "easy access" that way but I was either
entirely exposed (not convenient in some public places) or I had to cover

up
with a cloth or whatever.

Then my friend showed me how she used her normal shirt (for her a T-shirt)
that was a little baggy to nurse dicreetly. It made life so much simpler

for
me!!! Just undo the nursing bra, Stick the baby up your shirt ) and then
position your shirt to cover the exciting parts...the only part of baby

that
gets sort of covered is her mouth really. The baby and your arm cover the
rest.

So - now that i am planning on using the Maya Wrap and nursing in it can
anyone tell me if my "normal shirt" nursing approach witll leave me

exposed
in public?

Thanks--
JoAnna
#1 DS 2yrs BFd 18.5 months
#2 DD 2 wks old

I have some nursing tops that I love, and one I hate - only use if
desperate. it might just be you have one that is a pain, and might do
better with a different style. I got mine on ebay, they don't have to be
horribly expensive. you can even get dresses if you want to dress up a
little. I am currently just wearing an oversize t-shirt...
Edith

Old July 9th 03, 10:13 PM
JoAnna

I have some nursing tops that I love, and one I hate - only use if
desperate. it might just be you have one that is a pain, and might do
better with a different style. I got mine on ebay, they don't have to be
horribly expensive. you can even get dresses if you want to dress up a
little. I am currently just wearing an oversize t-shirt...
Edith

the one's i have came from Motherhood Maternity. They have slits cut in them
and a flat over that. it's alot of extra material and looks like a nursing
shirt. i tried a few different types and now i don't bother. to each his
own.

Old July 9th 03, 11:34 PM

"JoAnna" wrote in message
news

I have some nursing tops that I love, and one I hate - only use if
desperate. it might just be you have one that is a pain, and might do
better with a different style. I got mine on ebay, they don't have to

be
horribly expensive. you can even get dresses if you want to dress up a
little. I am currently just wearing an oversize t-shirt...
Edith

the one's i have came from Motherhood Maternity. They have slits cut in

them
and a flat over that. it's alot of extra material and looks like a nursing
shirt. i tried a few different types and now i don't bother. to each his
own.

yup. just thought it might help.
Good luck with what you do
Edith

Old July 10th 03, 02:58 AM
Naomi Pardue

do people
generally have a rough time nursing discreetly in "normal" clothes? Or does
wearing a sling or carrier make it difficult?

I always just wore 'normal clothes', but I never used a sling or carrier
either. A loose-fitting tee shirt or blouse (anything I could lift from the
waist) and a nursing bra were my standard 'away-from-the-house' garb while
breastfeeding. If I wasn't too concerned about being discreet, I might wear a
dress that buttoned down the front.

I assume I was always discreet enough in the two-piece outfits, since nobody
ever seemed to have given me a second look or comment the many times I NIP'ed.

Naomi
CAPPA Certified Lactation Educator

reply.)
Old July 10th 03, 03:24 AM
Akuvikate

"JoAnna" wrote in message . net...

So - now that i am planning on using the Maya Wrap and nursing in it can
anyone tell me if my "normal shirt" nursing approach witll leave me exposed
in public?

Just today had my second adventure NIP. My mum and I were sitting at
lunch, Bug (4 weeks old) was in the Maya Wrap in the newborn vertical
carry, and she started pecking at my chest with her mouth open like a
little chicken. I just lifted up my t-shirt in the middle, unsnapped
my bra, loosened the sling a bit to put her at the right level, and
all three of us chowed happily. She didn't look any different from
the outside than she had 5 minutes earlier when she was sleeping. I
haven't yet tried using nursing clothing -- may do so at some point,
but I don't feel any urgency to it.

Kate
and Bug June 8 2003
Old July 10th 03, 12:27 PM
Bruce and Jeanne

Akuvikate wrote:

"JoAnna" wrote in message
. net...

So - now that i am planning on using the Maya Wrap and nursing in it can
anyone tell me if my "normal shirt" nursing approach witll leave me exposed
in public?

Just today had my second adventure NIP. My mum and I were sitting at
lunch, Bug (4 weeks old) was in the Maya Wrap in the newborn vertical
carry, and she started pecking at my chest with her mouth open like a
little chicken. I just lifted up my t-shirt in the middle, unsnapped
my bra, loosened the sling a bit to put her at the right level, and
all three of us chowed happily. She didn't look any different from
the outside than she had 5 minutes earlier when she was sleeping. I
haven't yet tried using nursing clothing -- may do so at some point,
but I don't feel any urgency to it.

Kate
and Bug June 8 2003

It sounds this is a good system for you and you don't need nursing
clothes (well, dresses might be nice).

With DD, I bought one nursing shirt but otherwise I just wore regular
clothes with a nursing bra and lifted from the bottom. Like Naomi, no
wrap or tent or blanket. I don't remember any stares so it must have
been discreet. I didn't wear a dress for 3 years, but luckily I worked
in a very casual place.

This time with DS, I bought a nursing swimsuit and that'll be about all.

Jeanne