A sad good bye.

Old December 11th 03, 07:05 PM
K-K ~Glass Boobs~

Default A sad good bye.

Thank you for not coming down on me. *pats self on the back*
Im ok with the decision I have made, and my (now sleeping son) appears to be
thankful too.

I do not think you failed at all. Good for you! One month is a lot more

than
a lot of people do. Breastfeeding is only ONE element to parenting. And

you
gave your DS the best start you could, and need to consider ALL the

members
of your family, yourself and DD included.

Pat yourself on the back, lady, because you deserve it.

Old December 11th 03, 07:10 PM
Buzzy Bee

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 18:00:01 GMT, "K-K ~Glass Boobs~"
wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!
I cant go back, Im on dry up pills.
I dont know why I took them, My doc suggested them to me and said that they
will help with the engorgement.

I would look carefully into the side effects of the pills you are on.
I asked about such pills after I had Seoras and was told that the main
one (bromocriptine) no longer prescribed over here because they have
side effects, including stroke, seizures and heart attacks. Indeed
the FDA recommends that they not be prescribed to women for lactation
supression in the US either.

Hormonal ones tend to just delay the effect, as they trick your body
into thinking its pregnant again. From that point of view, you will
probably have no problems relactating if that is all you are on.

I just had to put up with engorgement etc and it took getting pregnant
again to stop needing breastpads.

Megan
--
Seoras David Montgomery, 7 May 2003, 17 hours: sunrise to sunset (homebirth)

To e-mail use: megan at farr-montgomery dot com
Old December 11th 03, 07:12 PM
Stephanie and Tim

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in message

Denise wrote:
"K-K ~Glass Boobs~" wrote in message

I cant go back, Im on dry up pills.
I dont know why I took them, My doc suggested them to me and said that

they

will help with the engorgement.

You could stop taking them. You could pump and give EBM and formula.

My thoughts exactly.
While I can empathise with the frustrations and pain (I had severe pain
from vasospasms and compression injury) of the first 6 weeks, and the
emotional distress (compounded for me by being totally alone to deal
with it, and struggling to have ANYone recognise that I had PPD) I
**cannot** sympathise with deciding to quit breast feeding/giving breast
milk. (especially when the OP says "I don't know why I took [dry-up

pills]")

There was NO way my DS was not going to be breastfed, even on the nights
when I fantasized that my sol'n was to give him to his father to raise
(NOT!!!) since *he* would HAVE to give formula and **I Would Not**, even
when at times wasn't sure if I could stay sane and keep going with
breastfeeding. By about 6-8wks, it was much better/easier/less painful
and we're still nursing at 15 mo.

Dawn

I do not know this posters whole situation. And I don't care. There is more
to parenting, particularly more than one child, then breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding is important, but I am grateful that there are alternatives
that are far better than they used to. I am having exactly ZERO problems
breastfeeding, but I still sometimes think that bottle feeding would allow
me to balance parenting of both children and give my son some of the time
and attention he has been missing. I am holding off day by day. As I say,
breasfeeding is important, and this is a great place to get help and
support. But there is more to parenting and being a person than
breatsfeeding. For some of us anyway.

Old December 11th 03, 08:06 PM
Sue

I still would take a look at what you're taking. Drying up is not that big
of a deal to try and dry up.

I'm not sure where pumping came from, I never said anything about that. ?
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote in message
if its off the market my doc would have no way of prescribing them. Its

some
sort of very strong arthritis medication I think, and its quick and
effective at drying nursing women up. And as for the pumping and feeding.
There is no way I would have the time for that that's what got me to

formula
in the first place. It was taking up all of my time! I cant spend quality
time with my daughter, husband, and take some time for my self. I would
essentially be going back to where I was about 4 days ago.

"Sue" wrote in message
Oh no, what kind of dry up pills? They pulled some off of the market a

long
time ago because it caused cancer. I would stop taking them immediately.

dry up, all you need to do is wear a tight fitting bra or wear cabbage
leaves in your bra.

Anyway, ((((hugs))).
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

K-K ~Glass Boobs~ wrote in message
I cant go back, Im on dry up pills.
I dont know why I took them, My doc suggested them to me and said that

they
will help with the engorgement.

"Rob and Laura" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
Your DS got 1 month of Breast milk and you know what that is better

than
none. your baby gets alot out of breast milk for the 1st month of

life
and
you did good by doing that. Who knows maybe in a day or 2 you might

feel
like going back to breastfeeding. Sometimes moms just need a break.

--
Laura, TTC #2
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

"K-K ~Glass Boobs~" wrote in message
Yes I caved, I tried my best but my DD and DH didn't like the

miserable
person I was becoming. I was told to let him stay at the breast

along
as
he
wanted and that left me with 1 hour of nursing every 2 hours and I

still
had
to pop I'm off because he would not stop! My DD began to loathe

me,
and
my
DH also felt neglected. not to mention I was lucky if I got in a

shower
and
was beginning to neglect my self. I'm sure most of you know that

self
neglect is a good path to postpartum depression. It was to the

point
where
would just cry during the feedings and that would effect my

letdown.
My
daughter pestering me would also hinder a letdown and my poor DS

was
beginning to suffer. On Monday the stress levels in my house were

so
high
that I was constantly trying to feed DS because I was not letting

down
for
most of the feeds of the day and judging by him I could tell the

tension
was
dwindling my supply. I am disappointed in my self that I could not

go
any
further but am also glad he atleast got a month of nursing. Since

we
have
switched to Formula my DS is a completely different child! he's

quiet
when
he is alert and content most of the time.

Please, I know I failed so if you could please in any responses

try
avoid
rubbing it in my face.

I just want to say thanks all for your support for 1 month! I

needed
it
and
appreciated it.

K-K

Old December 11th 03, 08:14 PM
Denise

"Sue" wrote in message
I still would take a look at what you're taking. Drying up is not that big
of a deal to try and dry up.

I'm not sure where pumping came from, I never said anything about that. ?
--

I did. But it was just a suggestion.

Old December 11th 03, 08:16 PM
Denise

"Stephanie and Tim" wrote in message

"Dawn Lawson" wrote in

I do not know this posters whole situation. And I don't care. There is

more
to parenting, particularly more than one child, then breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding is important, but I am grateful that there are alternatives
that are far better than they used to. I am having exactly ZERO problems
breastfeeding, but I still sometimes think that bottle feeding would allow
me to balance parenting of both children and give my son some of the time
and attention he has been missing. I am holding off day by day. As I say,
breasfeeding is important, and this is a great place to get help and
support. But there is more to parenting and being a person than
breatsfeeding. For some of us anyway.

I agree with you, but when a person makes it seem like they're sad to not be
able to breastfeed, doesn't it make sense to offer them advice to help? If
she's truly happy with not breastfeeding and she thinks formula will make
her and baby happier, good, go for it.

Old December 11th 03, 08:47 PM
Buzzy Bee

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 19:02:35 GMT, "K-K ~Glass Boobs~"
wrote:
but then again I might just have mucked up the snipping as usual!
if its off the market my doc would have no way of prescribing them. Its some
sort of very strong arthritis medication I think, and its quick and
effective at drying nursing women up.

I direct you to the FDA's advice at
http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/CONSUMER/CON00069.html. If you scroll
down you will come to:

"Based on several different studies, FDA estimates that only a very
small minority of women given lactation suppressants may possibly
benefit from the treatment. For the majority, taking the drug only
exposes them to possible side effects. "

The majority of doctors will not even prescribe these drugs for
lactation suppresion in women whose babies have died, where there is
the potential for psychological harm as a result of continuing
lactation.

They are prescribable because they are licensed as drugs for serious
medical conditions in which the risks outweigh the benefits. In those
conditions (Parkinson's Disease mainly, but also some forms of
arthritis) they are a drug of last resort, not a first line therapy,
precisely because of the side effects. The risks of not drying milk
up instantly are virtually non-existant, a few days, even weeks of
discomfort (and believe me, I know of what I speak) are nothing
compared with an established risk of stroke or heart attack, both of
which, I am sure I need not tell you, are potentially fatal.

Your doctor is working on out of date information in prescribing these
drugs.

Megan

Old December 11th 03, 09:06 PM
Stephanie and Tim

"Denise" wrote in message

[...]

I guess I read it differently. I did not think she was looking for advice to
help. But yeah, I agree with you.

Old December 11th 03, 09:36 PM
Cheryl S.

"K-K ~Glass Boobs~" wrote in message
I just want to say thanks all for your support for
1 month! I needed it and appreciated it.

{{K-K}} There are many, many other aspects to parenting besides what or
how you feed the baby, please don't consider yourself a failure just
because of this one thing. I'm sorry you didn't have the support you
needed at home, to be able to continue bf. IME it would have only been
a couple more weeks before your baby got significantly faster at
nursing, and you'd have the time you wanted to spend with your other
family members *and* still be breastfeeding. But it does sound like you
were all very stressed out and maybe even a couple more weeks just
wasn't feasible.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 2 yr., 8 mo.

Cleaning the house while your children are small is like
shoveling the sidewalk while it's still snowing.

Old December 11th 03, 11:30 PM
Kereru

"K-K ~Glass Boobs~" wrote in message
if its off the market my doc would have no way of prescribing them. Its

some
sort of very strong arthritis medication I think, and its quick and
effective at drying nursing women up. And as for the pumping and feeding.
There is no way I would have the time for that that's what got me to

formula
in the first place. It was taking up all of my time! I cant spend quality
time with my daughter, husband, and take some time for my self. I would
essentially be going back to where I was about 4 days ago.

Once you make the decision don't look back. The reason you have given up is
for your sanity so don't jeapordise that with agonsing over it. If your
family is happier you have made the right decision.

Judy