Crib opinion

Old November 21st 03, 06:00 PM
Jill

Default Crib opinion

I have been trying to decide on a crib- it's hard enough to find one that I
like and also seems durable/safe...I know nothing about cribs!

There is one that has caught my eye, on babyuniverse.com and some other
places...the crib style is called Anastacia. I also like the Emily style
convertible crib. I forget what the maker is, Da Vinci maybe? I REALLY like
the Anastacia though- has anyone seen this crib in person and is maybe able
to put in some comments about it? otherwise, if you have a second to go to
babyuniverse.com..what do you think of its looks? I think it's adorable ..

How do you choose a crib? I know one thing, I don't know if I like the ones
on wheels...? I also don't know if $350 is too much for what the crib is
made of- it could be worth it if it's a good sturdy crib, or it could also
be sort of cheapo-constructed. I guess I need to start going in person....I
would be afraid to order online sight unseen.

I do know that I prefer solid wood and not just a "finish", and also I like
the appearance of oak. A lot of cribs that look great in the lighter wood
seem to be pine and also say "pine finish"- my husband thinks pine is
"cheap". (?? I know, he's a wood snob..,he is obsessed about real wood
furniture and he refuses to buy anything that isn't solid, that is particle
board or something with just a real wood finish...) I figure if the inlaws
are paying for it and willing to pay- what the heck. I am NOT willing to
spend more than about $400 toward a crib though no matter who will pay what.
And that's on the high end...it seems like most cribs that catch my eye are
$300-350.

Any comments?

Old November 21st 03, 06:19 PM
KD

I just looked at the Anastasia online - it's beautiful. I love the
drawer underneath! The crib I have looks pretty similar and was
around $250 I think. I got it on sale at Sears and my inlaws paid for
it. It's sturdy and is solid wood. Can't speak for the Anastasia,
but it sure looks nice.

With my dd, she loved her crib and slept in it until she was 18 months
old before being moved to a twin bed. She would have stayed in it
longer, but we needed it for her brother who was going to be along
soon. As it turned out, her brother was not a crib baby. ;-) He used
the bassinet for 5 month, then the crib for about a week. He hated
it. I finally gave up (in the interest of getting some sleep myself)
and gave him what he really wanted - I let him sleep with me. We took
the crib down when he was about 7 or 8 months old.

For this one, I haven't decided if I'll even try the crib or not.
It's such a pain to reassemble and I don't have the patience to try to
get a baby used to the crib. I had many sleepless nights with dd, and
a few with ds before giving it. I think I'll go straight to
co-sleeping!

Sorry, I sort of went off on a tangent, but I do like the Anastasia!

Old November 21st 03, 07:33 PM
Sophie

How do you choose a crib?

You go to the Exchange, they have 2 cribs - one white metal, one wood. You
pick the wood one ($99) and use it for (soon) 4 children, with matching
changing table ($65), which you use till it breaks during a move across
country and you realize you only used it to store more baby crap anyway.

Seriously, consider whether you'll have more kids, and the age gaps you
might want. If you get a convertible one will child #1 keep it, do you get a
new crib for #2, stuff like that.

Good luck

Sophie
#4 due 7/18/04

Old November 21st 03, 08:15 PM
JennP

"Jill" wrote in message
m...

I also like the Emily style
convertible crib. I forget what the maker is, Da Vinci maybe?

I don't know how useful the convertable crib really is though. Especially if
you plan to have more children. I would think that only the last kid gets to
actually use it.

How do you choose a crib? I know one thing, I don't know if I like the

ones
on wheels...?

Mine is on wheels. The wheels lock and I never had a problem with it. I
loooove that feature because it makes it easier to get around to change crib
sheets, vacuum around, etc.

I also don't know if $350 is too much for what the crib is
made of- it could be worth it if it's a good sturdy crib, or it could also
be sort of cheapo-constructed. I guess I need to start going in

person....I
would be afraid to order online sight unseen.

I wouldn't order sight unseen. How much you pay is completely up to you.
Some people don't see the point in spending much for a crib, some people
think of it as part of the decor. Really, it depends on your preferences and
budget.

I do know that I prefer solid wood and not just a "finish", and also I

like
the appearance of oak. A lot of cribs that look great in the lighter wood
seem to be pine and also say "pine finish"- my husband thinks pine is
"cheap".

Solid wood opposed to veneer will definitly cost you more $$. We have solid
maple Morigeau furniture for ds' room and were very happy with it. It was
not cheap though. We happen to fall in the category of "decor" as I
mentioned above

I figure if the inlaws
are paying for it and willing to pay- what the heck. I am NOT willing to
spend more than about $400 toward a crib though no matter who will pay

what.

My parents bought ds' furniture. It was very generous of them.

And that's on the high end...it seems like most cribs that catch my eye

are
$300-350.

Then it sounds like you've found your budget. You should be able to find
something very nice in that price range.

FWIW, there is absolutely no need to rush out and buy a crib now or even
right when the baby is born. Many babies are kept in their parents room for
several months or co-sleep. Our beautiful crib was a hamper for 7 months,
but then it went on to get heavy use for 2.5 years. It will be used for
another eventually. You have more than enough time to decide. HTH
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old November 21st 03, 10:05 PM
Clisby

Jill wrote:

How do you choose a crib?

IME ...

Your sister-in-law says, "Want to use my crib?"
You say: "Sure!"

Clisby

Old November 21st 03, 10:14 PM
Carolyn Jean Fairman

Clisby wrote:
Jill wrote:

How do you choose a crib?

IME ...

Your sister-in-law says, "Want to use my crib?"
You say: "Sure!"

ROTFL. That's like how we got ours, a friend of my step-Moms had one,
so that was it, we were done! It was a really nice one, light wood,
which helped. Plus it converted to a toddler bed, which ds #1 used
until he was over 2 yo. We're ready to use it again for this baby.

Carolyn
--
Carolyn Fairman
http://www.stanford.edu/~cfairman/
Old November 21st 03, 10:57 PM
Jill

I have been offered cribs by 3 different people, but since this is my first
baby and more importantly., my inlaws bought brand new cribs for each of
their first 2 grandkids (this will be their 3rd), I didn;t see any reason to
use my sister-in-law's. I figure, why not pick out the very one I want? If
they were not buying it for me- I would be using someone else's.

Old November 21st 03, 11:17 PM
Ilse Witch

Jill wrote:
I have been trying to decide on a crib- it's hard enough to find one that I
like and also seems durable/safe...I know nothing about cribs!

I haven't had time to look at the one you picked, but there isn't much
to know about cribs. It is important that they are not completely
closed, and I find it practical that the head- and footboard are
solid, so I can put some toys up against them. We have a basic pine
crib which we had to paint ourselves, and it's perfectly safe and
extremely durable. Pine may be cheap, but your baby isn't going to
use it for more than 3 years anyway.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (16m)

Old November 22nd 03, 12:35 AM
Anonymous

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:00:03 GMT, "Jill" wrote:

How do you choose a crib? I know one thing, I don't know if I like the ones
on wheels...? I also don't know if $350 is too much for what the crib is
made of- it could be worth it if it's a good sturdy crib, or it could also
be sort of cheapo-constructed. I guess I need to start going in person....I
would be afraid to order online sight unseen.
Any comments?

Go with what you can afford, of course. But on the purely practical
level, make sure it's something you can easily lower and raise in the
middle of night, half-sleep, possibly with a baby in arms. (I tried
to get in the habit of lowering the crib, and leaving it that way,
every morning and after every cribbed-nap. Not fun, to try to lower
the side with a sleeping baby you're trying to lay down and urgently
not wake up.) Try to find a model of the crib you want, and try it
out. There's much beautiful baby stuff out there, and some of it is
not practical, or not practical for some mothers.

Old November 25th 03, 06:12 PM
lynn

In article ,
"Jill" wrote:

I have been offered cribs by 3 different people, but since this is my first
baby and more importantly., my inlaws bought brand new cribs for each of
their first 2 grandkids (this will be their 3rd), I didn;t see any reason to
use my sister-in-law's. I figure, why not pick out the very one I want? If
they were not buying it for me- I would be using someone else's.

I also got a hand-me-down crib that I love. And I loved not having to
shop for one - I'm easily overwhelmed by too many options. Picking from
3 offers would be perfect for me.

So if I were you, I'd take a hand-me-down crib, and ask the in-laws for
a glider rocker instead - I think they're the absolute greatest. (Or
whatever other big expense you might have in mind - a dresser/changing
table maybe?)

- Lynn