Conflicting advise

Old July 8th 03, 11:26 AM
Cheryl

Default Conflicting advise

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 11:12:51 -0400, Astromum
wrote:

I've been learning a *lot* since I started to lurk and post here, and
I found out that most of the advice I was given about BF-ing was either
antique, not quite true or rubbish.

Now here's my questions: I just received a bunch of Dutch baby magazines
that my mother send me. It literally says that *all* bottles need to be
sterilized at least once a day. Here I learned that this is not necessary
when you BF, dishwasher or hot soap should be just fine.

In Australia we are advised to sterilise all baby equipment
(bottles, pacifiers etc) for a minimum of 6 months and usually for
the first year. I think it has to do with the fact that although
the water quality is good it's not perfect and they worry that if
they don't recommend sterilisation some people will just rinse stuff
instead of washing it properly. Dishwashers still aren't that
common in Australia so stuff usually is hand washed. Personally I
stopped sterilising stuff for #1 when he started crawling and
sticking everything in his mouth, and the only stuff I sterilised
for #2 and #3 was my Isis pump and their pacifiers while they were
in hospital (because I didn't have a choice). I found that the
chemical sterilisers that I was using in the hospital actually burnt
my nipples and mimicked thrush symptoms so there was no way I was
going to continue using it once I was able to stop.

They also go
into the question of milk after 1 year, and say not to use whole milk,
since it contains saturated fat. Semi-skimmed should be better. And all
the while I've been telling DH to get us whole milk, as DS's B-day is
getting closer. And these were only two of the obvious things, I won't
even start about the advertisements claiming nipple confusion does not
exist and BF is all fine but when you go back to work yadayadayada...

We were told until a few weeks ago to give whole milk to children
under 5. Recently the recommendation has been given to stop whole
milk and offer 2% or less fat milk to kids over 2 because the rates
of childhood obesity are climbing. And if you knew some of my
friends you would understand why - they go from giving 40oz of
formula a day to giving 40oz of whole milk a day and they don't wean
their kids down. I know at least 3 people who have 3 year olds who
drink about 30-40oz of a milk a day and that's an awful lot of fat
for a small child. They still recommend that you go to whole milk
when you start cows milk though.

--
Cheryl

DS#1 (Mar 99), DS#2 (Oct 00)
DD born 30 Jul 02

Old July 8th 03, 07:14 PM
Larry McMahan

H Schinske writes:
: Ilse ) wrote:

:They also go
:into the question of milk after 1 year, and say not to use whole milk,
:since it contains saturated fat. Semi-skimmed should be better.

: We are told to use whole milk until two years to get enough fat into the diet
: for proper brain development. Personally I think that is an obvious signal that
: under ideal circumstances, babies should be getting breastmilk until two.

Exactly! The kind of fats a baby should be getting are the omega 3 fatty acids.
These are much higher in breastmilk than in cow's milk. Recommending whole cow's
milk to increase saturated fats is just another ineffective half-way measure that
also has negative long term cardiovascular effects.

By taking a baby off of breastmilk between 1 and 2 and substituting cow's milk,
you not only risk slowing brain development, but also increase the risk for obesity
and heart disease later in life!

Larry
Old July 9th 03, 06:07 AM
Chookie

In article , Astromum
wrote:

Now here's my questions: I just received a bunch of Dutch baby magazines
that my mother send me. It literally says that *all* bottles need to be
sterilized at least once a day. Here I learned that this is not necessary
when you BF, dishwasher or hot soap should be just fine. They also go
into the question of milk after 1 year, and say not to use whole milk,
since it contains saturated fat. Semi-skimmed should be better. And all
the while I've been telling DH to get us whole milk, as DS's B-day is
getting closer. And these were only two of the obvious things, I won't
even start about the advertisements claiming nipple confusion does not
exist and BF is all fine but when you go back to work yadayadayada...

Now who's right?

What does the Dutch health department say? The Dutch midwives' or lactation
consultants' organisation? It would be intersting to compare!

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990
Old July 9th 03, 03:15 PM
Astromum

Chookie wrote:

What does the Dutch health department say? The Dutch midwives' or lactation
consultants' organisation? It would be intersting to compare!

I honestly don't know where all the advice comes from, but now that you
mention it, it may indeed be interesting to compare. I don't know if
there is such a thing as a Dutch LC organization, they are still very
much building up the whole idea of LC's.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)

Old July 12th 03, 09:39 AM
Catheleijne Berck

Astromum wrote:

Chookie wrote:

What does the Dutch health department say? The Dutch midwives' or lactation
consultants' organisation? It would be intersting to compare!

I honestly don't know where all the advice comes from, but now that you
mention it, it may indeed be interesting to compare. I don't know if
there is such a thing as a Dutch LC organization, they are still very
much building up the whole idea of LC's.

Ilse, maybe there's some info on www.borstvoeding.nl, it is a site for
the Dutch LLL, the ''vereniging Borstvoeding Natuurlijk" and some other
stuff.

The idea of an LC is getting pretty established, I believe.

Cath
Fenna, born 07/05/03
Old July 14th 03, 03:00 PM
Astromum

Catheleijne Berck wrote:
Ilse, maybe there's some info on www.borstvoeding.nl, it is a site for
the Dutch LLL, the ''vereniging Borstvoeding Natuurlijk" and some other
stuff.

The idea of an LC is getting pretty established, I believe.

Cath
Fenna, born 07/05/03

Thanks Cath! The availability of LC's may vary on where you live. I
was up north, and could find exactly one in the entire province of
Groningen... The hospital nurses and 'kraam'nurse all knew something
about BF, but mostly I was given a lot of conflicting advice.

I've been looking around at this page some time ago, but besides a
lot of addresses did not find any info on whole-milk and sterilizing.
Maybe I should look again, it's been a while since I was last there.

Old July 14th 03, 04:38 PM
Catheleijne Berck

Astromum wrote:

Catheleijne Berck wrote:
Ilse, maybe there's some info on www.borstvoeding.nl, it is a site for
the Dutch LLL, the ''vereniging Borstvoeding Natuurlijk" and some other
stuff.

The idea of an LC is getting pretty established, I believe.

Cath
Fenna, born 07/05/03

Thanks Cath! The availability of LC's may vary on where you live. I
was up north, and could find exactly one in the entire province of
Groningen... The hospital nurses and 'kraam'nurse all knew something
about BF, but mostly I was given a lot of conflicting advice.

I guess that's the case everywhere - everyone suddenly had an opinion
about what's best. I just read a lot and use common sense, and avoid
discussions with these people :-)

I've been looking around at this page some time ago, but besides a
lot of addresses did not find any info on whole-milk and sterilizing.
Maybe I should look again, it's been a while since I was last there.

I looked a bit - had some time on my hands while nursing anyway :-),
couldn't find the info you need...

Cath
Old July 14th 03, 05:07 PM
Astromum

Catheleijne Berck wrote:

I looked a bit - had some time on my hands while nursing anyway :-),
couldn't find the info you need...

Thanks! Oh, and BTW: good to see you here on mkb! Since many
of my Dutch friends didn't even want to consider BF, I didn't
dare to presume you would. I am really glad you did How
is Fenna doing?

Common sense is something you will need when you start to deal
with the 'consultatie buro'. Boy, do they have a method of giving
inconsistent advice while making parents seem ignorant. I just
said 'OK' and did what I thought best. Always worked

Old July 17th 03, 10:21 AM
Catheleijne Berck

Astromum wrote:

Catheleijne Berck wrote:

I looked a bit - had some time on my hands while nursing anyway :-),
couldn't find the info you need...

Thanks! Oh, and BTW: good to see you here on mkb! Since many
of my Dutch friends didn't even want to consider BF, I didn't
dare to presume you would. I am really glad you did How
is Fenna doing?

She's doing really well, she's awake quite a lot of the time but not
fussy (unless she want to eat :-)), she's very interested in her
surroundings, looking around with big blue eyes at everything.
There are some pictures on http://194.237.245.53/fenna/index.html
DH loves to take pictures and has discovered a new favourite subject
:-).

Common sense is something you will need when you start to deal
with the 'consultatie buro'. Boy, do they have a method of giving
inconsistent advice while making parents seem ignorant. I just
said 'OK' and did what I thought best. Always worked

Aparantly it varies greatly on the buro or doctor you have. I heard the
same thing about the conflicting and sometimes outdated advise, and have
already resolved not to listen too much to what they say.
They do have a 'weighing hour' where you can take your baby to be
weighed, think I'll do that next week. I'm sure she's gaining, she had
lost 200 gram when weighed 6 days after birth, but 2 days later had
already regained 100 grams!

Cath
Fenna 05/07/03

please advise... javalearner General 5 April 21st 04 06:21 PM
i need some advise sajit Pregnancy 0 January 12th 04 05:41 AM
Conflicting Information About Ritalin Marciosos8 Probertiosos8 Kids Health 0 December 22nd 03 11:16 AM
ttc need advise J Pregnancy 7 August 14th 03 04:20 PM
I need some advise .... Mom2B Pregnancy 1 July 17th 03 12:02 PM