questions for day care interview

Old April 2nd 04, 06:23 AM
Ruth Shear

Default questions for day care interview

G'day

In the last month or two someone wrote a really nice list of things to
ask/consider when checking out a new day care. It's disappeared off my
server now and I haven't had any luck with google trying to find it.

Anyone remember this? Could you send it to me?

We suddenly got called by our on-site daycare saying our number had come
up (after being on the waiting list about 3 years!!) and are visiting
tomorrow morning. Of course I'm not prepared, though I'm sure I"ll wing
it ok. But if I had a list to remind me what to check for that sure
would be helpful

Thanks

DrRuth
Old April 2nd 04, 02:56 PM
toto

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 23:23:16 -0600, Ruth Shear
wrote:

G'day

In the last month or two someone wrote a really nice list of things to
ask/consider when checking out a new day care. It's disappeared off my
server now and I haven't had any luck with google trying to find it.

Anyone remember this? Could you send it to me?

We suddenly got called by our on-site daycare saying our number had come
up (after being on the waiting list about 3 years!!) and are visiting
tomorrow morning. Of course I'm not prepared, though I'm sure I"ll wing
it ok. But if I had a list to remind me what to check for that sure
would be helpful

Thanks

DrRuth

My answer was threaded incorrectly so I am repeating it here

The misc.kids daycare FAQ is still live at:

http://www.sbschool.org/mkfaq.html

This is quite and extensive list and I don't think *all* the
questions are necessary, but here's the list from Bill Ivey

Summary

Fees and Basic Information
What is your fee schedule?
What are your hours?
Can you do part time?
Do you charge for holidays that you are closed?
Do I pay even when my child is absent?
Do I pay for your vacation time?
How much vacation do you take? Will the daycare stay open?
What is policy on caring for ill children?
How is administering medication handled?
How many times in the last year has the daycare closed for
your own illness?
What about when the your children/spouse are sick?
Do you charge an enrollment fee/last week in advance?
Do you get paid in advance?
Do you charge for overtime/late payments/etc.?
How much notice is required to formally withdraw?
May I see a copy of the Center's budget?
What are child/provider ratios?
How many infants are on site?
Are you licensed by the state?
What kind of insurance do you have?

Personal Information
Do you have a favorite age to work with?
Why have you chosen to do childcare?
How long do you plan on being in the childcare field?
Do you have background/education in child development?
Are you CPR certified?
Do you have first aid training?
Have you ever had to handle an emergency? What did
you do?
Describe how you disinfect toys and your sanitary
practices?
How do you minimize the spread of germs?
Are you a member of any professional groups? If yes, are
you active?
What are the sexes/ages of the children enrolled?
Why did the last child leave?
Who has been here the longest and how long?
What kinds of professions do other children's parents have?
Is your family involved in your childcare business?
Are any other people around; what do they do?
Is smoking permitted in the house?
Do you have any employees?
What are the backgrounds of your employees? How long have
they worked here?
Are there any pets in the home? Are they included in the
daycare environment?
What happens to the daycare when you or a family member
is ill?
Are you bilingual? If yes, what languages?
Would you suggest we bring anything from home? What?
Activities
Describe to me what you will do with my children while I am
gone each day.
Do you always hold infants when they are feeding?
Do you pick up the baby whenever she cries?
What is the daily schedule? Is it firm?
How often do you change diapers?
What developmental activities will you do?
How do you deal with a child that won't nap?
Will I get a written or verbal report on my child each day?
More generally, how do we communicate?
Who provides/washes the crib sheets/blankets?
Who provides/cleans infant toys? Disinfected how often?
(should be daily!)
When do you feel babies should be weaned (bottle or breast)?
How do you feel about breastfeeding?
How do you use pacifiers?
What outside play space is there? What toys?
How is television used in the daycare? What shows?
What videos?
How is music used in the daycare?
Is a playpen used with infants/toddlers? How?
What rooms will be used for child care?
What cribs/toys etc. will be provided?
How do children participate in cleanup? Toys? House?
Is the house cleaned during or after daycare?
Providers Philosophies
How does provider handle meal times/food, nap time,
potty training?
What is policy on discipline? When is it started?
How are your own children disciplined? Is that philosophy
different?
What would you do if a child hit you?
May the parents come by at any time?
In what ways are parents encouraged to be involved?

Miscellaneous
Intution
Visit in person!
Is the daycare environment safe? clean? smells good?
Do I Like the Provider? trust the Provider?
Open Communication? comfortable with Provider?
Ample Attention? Appropriate toys/activities?
Other children happy?
Overall environment comfortable?
Get and check References
Make Several visits at differing times to daycare
Check different sources (e.g. United Way)
What is your turnover rate?
Do you own your own house?
Do you have a gun? If so, where?

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits

Another child killed in kincare Kane General 39 February 12th 04 06:55 PM
Foster Care and Adoption Radio john dunn General 0 January 17th 04 10:56 AM
HALF OF KIDS IN FOSTER CARE NEEDLESSLY Malev General 0 December 12th 03 03:53 PM
'Horrible' Home Kane General 1 July 16th 03 02:29 AM