Many foster parents kept in dark

Old August 13th 04, 07:50 PM
wexwimpy

Default Many foster parents kept in dark

Many foster parents kept in dark
Survey says state often fails to give facts on kids

By CRAIG SCHNEIDER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 08/10/04

The state often fails to tell foster parents about problems with
children coming into their care, according to many foster parents
surveyed this spring.

Less than half of the 663 foster parents surveyed said they received
information about children's health and psychological problems or any
history of abuse. It is the policy of the state Division of Family and
Children Services to provide that information to foster parents as
soon as possible, or within 90 days.
EMAIL THIS
PRINT THIS
MOST POPULAR

"Then the children are suffering, because the children's needs are not
being met," Sharon Carlson, president of the Adoptive and Foster
Parent Association of Georgia, said about the survey's findings.

Carlson said a lack of information can place foster children and
families that care for them in danger. A child placed in a foster home
that does not get enough information may not receive the proper
medical care. The child may have behavioral problems that the foster
parent has not been trained to handle. Carlson said she has heard of
instances where a foster parent only discovers a child's bad habit,
such as sexual touching, after the child has molested another foster
child in the home.

The survey, co-sponsored by the state Office of the Child Advocate and
the Georgia Supreme Court Child Placement Project, obtained responses
from foster parents in May and June.

According to the survey, just 44 percent of the foster parents who
responded received information on the child's history of abuse or
neglect, while 31 percent were told of any history of psychological or
behavioral issues. Forty percent were told of significant medical
history, including current health needs of the child, according to the
survey.

Dee Simms, the state child advocate, said the lack of communication
has led many foster parents to quit, contributing to a shortage of
foster homes.

Simms said many DFCS caseworkers are overburdened by a high number of
cases, and are in a rush to go on to another child's case. As a
result, she said, caseworkers don't have time to properly review a
case before placing a child in a foster home.

In addition, Simms said, a shortage of foster homes has led some
caseworkers to place children without considering whether a particular
home is a good fit.

DFCS officials said there have been instances when caseworkers fail to
pass on information, but that the problem is not widespread.

Many times, caseworkers must remove a child from a troubled home
before the child's full history is known. Caseworkers usually provide
foster parents with a comprehensive assessment within 60 to 90 days,
said DFCS spokeswoman Lola Russell. A child may be moved to a more
appropriate foster home after the assessment is completed, she said.

Carlson, a foster parent for 23 years, said the survey results are
accurate. She said that in many instances, a child's information is
never passed on.

Carlson said she is optimistic about the state's commitment to
improving the foster care system. The state this year adopted a Foster
Parents Bill of Rights, declaring that foster parents have a right to
background information on a child's mental and physical health.

Also, foster parent advocates have had several meetings with state
officials to discuss their concerns.

"Right now I really think they're trying," Carlson said. But she
added, "We've got major work ahead of us."
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met.../11foster.html

Defend your civil liberties! Get information at http://www.aclu.org, become a member at http://www.aclu.org/join and get active at http://www.aclu.org/action.